Att: Everyone with aluminum flywheels

Justntym

She likes my snake!
Established Member
What should I expect from an aluminum flywheel? I am going to go with a new 03/04 cobra clutch, flywheel, and throwout bearing! How will my car perform with this change?

Last edited:

kxt

atomic number 30
Established Member
What flywheel is everybody getting?? SPEC, Fidanza, or 03 cobra??

crunchie12268

Established Member
im actually curious too... you can resurface them on a traditional milling machine because they have pins in them I believe, which is nice. Although im not sure if they require any mods or if they have to have a 03/04 clutch setup or if the 99-04 4V all take the same. Another question I had was if they throw anything out of balance.

REX-RACER

Testing w/ the live data!
Established Member
crunchie12268 said:
im actually curious too... you can resurface them on a traditional milling machine because they have pins in them I believe, which is nice. Although im not sure if they require any mods or if they have to have a 03/04 clutch setup or if the 99-04 4V all take the same. Another question I had was if they throw anything out of balance.

03/04 Cobra clutch/flywheel is a direct swap, I have one in the garage waiting to go in when the weather gets descent.

Mate it w/ a u/d pullies, aluminum d/s and gears and get even more revs and a little bit more power! :burnout:

V6&V8SHO

Established Member
I ordered the Ford racing alum flywheel and has my local shop put it in.

Big fan.

blacksnake305

Established Member
I have a resurfaced 03' flywheel w/ an FRPP clutch in my 01. It revs (slightly) quicker than my stocker. But it loses revs (when coasting) noticably quicker because you have lost some enertia... But I like it because a few more ponies will make it to the ground and there is less driveline 'shock' w/ the AL flywheel...

wheelhopper

Established Member
I installed an Exedy chromoly flywheel in my modded '03 cobra. I wanted to try something different and I am very happy with my choice. Stronger than aluminum and lighter than cast steel flywheel.

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
Fidanza alum f/w here, I like it because it has a replaceable steel friction surface. If it ever wears out replacements from Fidanza are about $75, IIRC.

Paired with march underdrives, aluminum d/s and 4.30s its a fun car to drive.

quick01snake

Your View
Established Member
99COBRA2881 said:
Fidanza alum f/w here, I like it because it has a replaceable steel friction surface. If it ever wears out replacements from Fidanza are about $75, IIRC.

Paired with march underdrives, aluminum d/s and 4.30s its a fun car to drive.

ummm...the 03 cobra ones have replaceable friction inserts as well...:p

crunchie12268

Established Member
so if I wanted to hold around 350hp n/a and 500hp on nitrous every once in a while... would it be a good choice to go with a 03 cobra clutch and flywheel? I know it would take it N/A but those sudden shocks of 500hp would be more than what it was made for right? I like the idea because it would retain the stock pedal feel.

01 Cobra

Whine "O"
Established Member
i'm really happy with mine. as stated above it will rev slightly quicker but will also drop off a little quicker. honestly i really do'nt notice enough difference to speak of. oh and crunchie the flywheel doesnt have anything to do with the pedal feel that job goes to the clutch and pressure plate.

crunchie12268

Established Member
I realize the flywheel doesn't have anything to do with the feel, but retaining the stock clutch and pressure plate from an 03 cobra should keep it right?

Justntym

She likes my snake!
Established Member
01 Cobra said:
i'm really happy with mine. as stated above it will rev slightly quicker but will also drop off a little quicker. honestly i really do'nt notice enough difference to speak of. oh and crunchie the flywheel doesnt have anything to do with the pedal feel that job goes to the clutch and pressure plate.

Is it worth the $$$? If it doesn't make that big of a difference i might just skip the flywheel all together

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
It all depends on what you use the car for....

Drag racing keep the stock steel flywheel, the car wont bog as easily on lauch.

Personally, I wouldn't go on the road course in a car that didnt have an aluminum flywheel installed. Rev matching to dowshift is much easier and the car is also much more forgiving to mismatched downshifts, Ive downshifted when first learning how to drive on track that shouldve unsettled the car to the point of a spin but the lightweight flywheel saved my then unexperienced a$$!

Also the lighter weight flywheel benefits strongly from steeper gears, with less inertia the steeper gears help you get rolling in first and reduce clutch wear.

UGAcobra

Established Member
I have a spec aluminum flywheel in mine with stock gears...it is awesome once you get rolling. The car revs much quicker but I find myself slipping the clutch a bit more from a dead stop than with the stock setup. You have to change your driving style a bit as taking your time on shifts will give you a nice surprise if you aren't paying attention and you're going into gear at idle rather than the 3000 rpm you're used to with the heavier flywheel, lol.

My largest compliments are the car now accelerates easier @ low RPM's when the engine is making honda-like torque. The driveline feels smoother. The powerband feels much wider now, but you do not get that "building" feeling as the car comes up on the torque curve, it feels as if it revs on a much more constant plane.

Buy it.

Users who are viewing this thread