ATI Super Charger Stage II

Alex_96Cobra

Cant Sleep-Clown'l eat me
Established Member
He Fellas,
I just got an Email from the guy I bought my Pro5.0 Shifter from. Seems he is completely redoing his engine/tranny, (six speed), and is selling his SC as he is getting one with 18 LBS. of boost! He said he will be using the ATI till he breaks the new engine in and at that point said he would"give you a good deal on it" He says I should expect mid to low 12's with the SC. The car is running low 13's as it is, but an SC sounds real tempting. Anyone have an ATI Stage II on their Cobra? and how would you guys feel about installing it on a car with 76K on the odometer? Thanks for listeneng to me babble.

Alex

Cullen Wharton

END GAME!!!
Established Member
Alex,
I just installed a Stage I ATI - P1SC on my 98 Cobra..... Only started with the 6lb kit... It's a screamer..... However, with that many miles on your car, I would just make sure your engine is in top running condition. Be sure the internals can handle the boost, no matter how much you are running. Another thing I found that many Cobras seem to have wih the ATI units, are problems with the Autologic chip that ATI's burns for the ECM. I know I had some issues with the ECM not accepting the aftermarket chip, if that is the case be ready to upgrade to a ignition system if you do not already have one. Other than that, I have been very pleased with my ATI. Currently putting 446hp at the fly, 380 to the rear wheels. Definite good kit.....

Cullen

Alex_96Cobra

Cant Sleep-Clown'l eat me
Established Member
OOF!! 380 at the wheels? Uh, yeah that would be nice!
Just got home and SMOKED a Z28, that was fun!

A cool 100 ponies (more) at the RW would be useful. I guess I'll just wait and see what he is asking for the SC. Next question is; how woud you feel about buying a 'used' SC?

Alex
gettin' caught up in the "yeah it's fast but what if..............?"

Last edited:

BillsSnake

:D :D :D We have a Stage II P600B with an intercooler on our 97 Cobra Conv. and it makes 416.1 hp at the rear wheels. We also upgraded the throttle body, radiator,Evans coolant, ignition, injectors, Mass air meter, Bassani Xpipe and fuel pump. We burned 4 chips before it was real close to correct. It "rocks".

Cullen Wharton

END GAME!!!
Established Member
Alex,
Since I last talked to you. ATI was very helpful. I sent my problematic chip back, they burned me a new one, and the probs were gone. However, as Bill stated, with a Stage II kit will need to upgrade your injectors as well as possible other components, not necessarily the T-body, but it helps. As far as buying a used SC system, I would make definitely do a thorough visual inspection, and maybe have the guy take you for a few rides with it on his car to make sure it seems in proper working order. You can never be too careful.....

BillsSnake

:xpl: Cullen - did you realize an increase in engine temperature after the S/C install? We live in South Florida and even with a 180 thermostat mine will run up to 210 in a heartbeat under boost in the summer months. I rarely run the a/c now.

Cullen Wharton

END GAME!!!
Established Member
Bill - not at all. However, I just installed the S/C in the fall. So the temp was not at it's peak here in Pittsburgh. However, on mild days, after a long run the car temp was right on. My air intake tube was still cool to the touch.... Did you think about installing an aftermarket Fluidyne radiator - to cool things down. Little pricy, but might do the trick........ Just a thought...:idea:

BillsSnake

:D :D :D Cullen - we have an aluminum Fluidyne radiator, Evans coolant, Evans water pump, a 95 R fan that runs continuously and a 180 thermostat. The intercooler blocks about a third of the radiator so that is part of the problem. I can live without the a/c as long as it is a sacrifice for performance. Our next thought will be to graft the GT hood vents to the Cobra hood to extract some of the heat. Saleen uses that on his supercharged models.

Cullen Wharton

END GAME!!!
Established Member
Well, there goes that idea. Interesting..... I only have a two core intercooler, being it is a stage I. Three core should cool even better... You do not have any leaks anywhere, do you? Sorry, just a thought.... Hey your are stumping me on this one. ha ha ha.... I'm assuming the plugs have been changed correctly? Have you contacted ATI to see what they had to say?

Last edited:

BillsSnake

:D :D Cullen - the S/C system is just fine but with the rather crowded engine bay we get alot of heat buildup. I did find that when we did the install the plastic trim piece just in front of the radiator was left off and now that it is reinstalled the car cools down quicker after rocket runs. This car just loves cold weather which is at a premium in South Florida. ATI has not been able to offer any advice. I have talked to other S/C Cobra owners in the sun belt and all experience this heat concern.

Cullen Wharton

END GAME!!!
Established Member
Bill,
Well I'm not sure what else to say. I'm a little surprised that ATI has not been of any further help... Ever try any of the Redline Water Wetter? That should "SUPPOSEDLY" help cool 10-25 degrees.

BillsSnake

:burnout: Cullen - I am using Evans coolant and an Evans water pump so water wetter is not an option. I did use it just before we changed the radiator and coolant. Evans coolant is non-aqueous. The vanes in the pump are much bigger than the stock pump and move lots more coolant.

Cullen Wharton

END GAME!!!
Established Member
GOTCHA!!! Well, I'll definitely let you know if I come across anything..... You can never have too much info or too many friends for that matter.. :r:

Users who are viewing this thread