Athletic training majors?

Mustang71

Did I say that out loud?
Established Member
Figured I put this out there to get some sort of feedback. I did a search and didn't find something that was directly related to my question.

Anybody here an athletic trainer /AT major in college? How is that major and career feild?

I know my question is broad but ill ask more if this thread gets some hits.

A little background on my situation:
-have an A.S degree from a CC in liberal arts
-not 100% sure what I want to do with the rest of my life career wise.
-took a civil service exam for LEO last fall and awaiting word from a department about employment since I scored relatively high and would do that job in a heartbeat if called instead of going back to school right away.(and yes i've also thought about military service too for a long time)

-Don't really want the typical 9-5 desk job and dislike engineering in case a bunch of you say go back to school and major in that

-taking fall semester off with thoughts of going back to CC in the spring to take general classes related to AT then transfer to a local college and major in that.

Well this is getting long so ill leave it at that, ill answer more if this thread gets some replies.

Thanks.

Matts00GT

Mongoloid Mike
Established Member
Never heard of a degree in Athletic Training, but I have a few friends with B.S. in Exercise Science and Sports Medicine.

kirks5oh

kirks5oh
Established Member
Go to physical therapy school. Much better opportunity for you. You can do both athletic training and p.t., once you discover trainers dont make squat. You are welcome

eclipsemustang

Established Member
I was originally an AT major but switched to Exercise Science. I believe the average salary for an AT is in the 30k range although in southern states where sports are bigger I am told it is higher (Dont hold me to this, it is just what my class was told by a few trainers and handouts). There are some higher paying jobs if you can get into ones with professional teams but that is difficult. As for schooling My college was one of the first to get accredited so the program is pretty competitive to get into, not too sure about other schools. All the people I know and met in the program who did get jobs/had jobs in the field say its fun, but they are expected to work 60+ Hr weeks. So it really has to be something that you want to do.

Good luck with whatever you choose. Hope this helped.

Users who are viewing this thread