ATCO Yesterday - Little Better with 11 GT500 TVS

YELL03

Established Member
I took my 590rwhp SAE 2011 GT500 Convertible on Street Tires with a TVS swap to ATCO on 2/23 and on my only pass got locked out of 2nd and ran:

2.18 60'
[email protected] 1/8th
[email protected] 1/4

In the interim I installed solid metal bushings in my stock shifter and it seems to have helped with the 1-2 grind.

Yesterday 3/15th I tried again on street tires, 60 degree weather again.
1st pass I had just pulled in off the street and had not aired my tires down, BIG MISTAKE
I should have skipped that pass.
I got a clean 1.95 60', then on a hard 1-2 the rear came around and almost put me in the wall. This car can not take a 1-2 shift on street tires.
I finished the pass anyway in 3rd hitting the rev limiter
[email protected] 1/8th
[email protected] 1/4

I was racing my neighbor's 2007 GT500 with 660rwhp SAE, he ran a [email protected] on a 2.20 60'.

2nd run I aired my tires down to 28# and short shifted to 2nd, not taking a chance on the wall again.
1.99 60'
[email protected] 1/8
[email protected] 1/4

Ran my neighbor again on that pass, but his car shut off at mid track and he coasted to a 13.2@101.

I ran one more pass against my neighbor, again short shifting the 1-2 (my son calls me a wuss, but I am driving my car home in one piece)....
We both bogged to 2.1 60's
his 1/8 was [email protected] and mine was [email protected]
his 1/4 was [email protected]@124.17 and mine was [email protected]

I have vids, but they are blurry, I will clean them up and post them.

Moral, these cars are not easy to get down the 1/4 on street tires.

Video (my buddy's car shut off at mid track)

th_026_zps8ef6263c.jpg

Last edited:

YELL03

Established Member
Get some meat back there and 11's are easy.

I agree...

I can only imagine what it would run if I could stay in it until 6000rpms in 1st and then speed shift the 1-2.

My stock Viper GTS improved from a [email protected] to a [email protected] just by switching to a stickier R-compound tire.

I am looking at my old time slips for street tire runs, my 445rwhp 03 Cobra was able to run 1.96 - [email protected] - [email protected] on street tires.

I think most of this horsepower goes to waste on street tires down low.

mtang43050

Established Member
Why mod your car and go to the track on street tires...seems like a waste.If your having fun and happy that's all that counts.

YELL03

Established Member
With a good launch that thing should run low 11's.

With a good launch and Drag Radials, impossible to hit the 1-2 hard on street tires.

Why mod your car and go to the track on street tires...seems like a waste.If your having fun and happy that's all that counts.

I don't have Drag radials, yet, just wanted to try it, I don't think I will do this again on street tires, not with a $699 payment due every month for another 5 years.

mtang43050

Established Member
I wouldn't take the chance of hitting the wall....its not worth it.Put a tire out back and run a respectable number.I know if I don't run a low 11 or high 10 when the track opens I will never hear the end of it.

CodyK7

Uh Ohhh
Established Member
I've got 305 nitto dr's and second gear is just a little bark and I can hit it in second with no spin at 550rwhp. Tires are the best mod for the car.

YELL03

Established Member
I've got 305 nitto dr's and second gear is just a little bark and I can hit it in second with no spin at 550rwhp. Tires are the best mod for the car.

yep

Yeah Im afraid until you get some real tires for the strip, its just going to be a spinfest

spinning once in gear wasn't the problem, but the 1-2 shift gets out of hand

brian98svtsnake

Established Member
I've never been to the track with street tires, seems like a waste of time and money. I'm not knocking you but you should put that money towards some drag radials, at the very least just throw them on your stock wheels to save some money. I ran 11.7 with the stock blower and now I have a tvs but I'm waiting to install my RXT clutch cause my current clutch took a dump. I'm also adding a 13 carbon fiber DS and an MGW shifter and I fully expect high tens out of her.

YELL03

Established Member
I've never been to the track with street tires, seems like a waste of time and money. I'm not knocking you but you should put that money towards some drag radials, at the very least just throw them on your stock wheels to save some money. I ran 11.7 with the stock blower and now I have a tvs but I'm waiting to install my RXT clutch cause my current clutch took a dump. I'm also adding a 13 carbon fiber DS and an MGW shifter and I fully expect high tens out of her.

Mostly, it is just not safe with this amount of power

BLK93GT

Established Member
I drove kleen93gt's car when it had the FRPP TVS and stock tires to a 11.6 or 11.7 @126 I think I'll have to ask him. It was a slip and slide run lol. With drag radials I ran 11.0@129 I think in his car back then. I can't remember.

I ran my car to a 11.91@120 on stock tires just to see what it would do stock, it may seem like a waste to some but its nice to know.

YELL03

Established Member
I drove kleen93gt's car when it had the FRPP TVS and stock tires to a 11.6 or 11.7 @126 I think I'll have to ask him. It was a slip and slide run lol. With drag radials I ran 11.0@129 I think in his car back then. I can't remember.

I ran my car to a 11.91@120 on stock tires just to see what it would do stock, it may seem like a waste to some but its nice to know.

You definitely can drive!

I don't have the balls to rip a high rpm 1-2 shift in this car on street tires at the track or on the street.

Users who are viewing this thread