ATCO Today for 1 pass - 2011 GT500 TVS

YELL03

Established Member
Last minute I decided to go to ATCO today with my 2011 GT500 Convertible with a 2013 TVS swap making 590rwhp SAE.

Temperature outside was upper 50s and sunny, not mine shaft air, but nice conditions.

I pulled right off the Highway, went through tech and right in to the staging lanes.

I aired my Michelin A/S 3s down to 28# and decided to do an easy get acquainted pass.

I launched off idle and cut a 2.18 60'.

I short shifted to 2nd and immediately got locked out by the infamous 1-2 grind, so I let off and grabbed 2nd again.

This resulted in a [email protected] 1/8th mile.

From there it was smooth sailing and the car pulled like a freight train through 3rd, I shifted to 4th and my virgin pass was a [email protected].

This car amazes me, 122.93 after missing a gear.

Unfortunately my day ended after 1 pass, a I felt a vibration on the highway and I thought my wheels weren't balanced properly, unfortunately a nasty pothole the other day caused this on the driver side front and rear wheels, I can't see how I didn't notice this...

February2014atco009_zps0299bd2d.jpg

February2014atco010_zps603e2380.jpg

Knowing my car could easily trap over 125 on a clean pass I didn't feel this was safe, especially with the bubble in the front tire. Luckily nothing happened on my pass.

On a side note....

My buddy's 660rwhp GT500 ran a 11.9@125 on a 2.0 60' and a 12.2@128 on a 2.3 60' also on A/S 3s at 28#.

My 18 year old son ran his 2005 GT manual tranny to a [email protected] on a 2.3 60' on crappy Goodyear F1s.

Time to get some new rims and get back out there.

Maybe a new shifter too?

Last edited:

Venom07

Established Member
I think your car is faster than that, I ran a 11.81@ 128mph on stock blower fully bolted and on first pass ever on the car at the track. Have a 2013 tvs now and car is wayyyyyyy quicker but have yet to run it. Not trying belittle your "virgin" pass, just want you expect much quicker times and something for you to look forward too. Just drive it like you stole it, in other words, HAVE FUN.

YELL03

Established Member
I think your car is faster than that, I ran a 11.81@ 128mph on stock blower fully bolted and on first pass ever on the car at the track. Have a 2013 tvs now and car is wayyyyyyy quicker but have yet to run it. Not trying belittle your "virgin" pass, just want you expect much quicker times and something for you to look forward too. Just drive it like you stole it, in other words, HAVE FUN.

No offense taken.

That is what I was trying to say....

This was my 1st pass so I intentionally ran it easy, even so, I spun a bit in 1st, so I shifted to 2nd early and and got locked out of 2nd (well known problem with the 11-12 gt500s), that had to cost me a full second and at least 3mph.

Seat of pants feel, on a clean pass with an easy 2.0 launch I think I could run easy 11s at 125-130mph on street tires.

My buddy who is a Mustang Tuner and Mechanic was running his new 2013 5.0 and when he saw the front rim and bubbled tire he told me not to run any more.
His 5.0 ran bone stock a 13.0@110 and after a Base SCT Tune he ran a 12.9@111 on a 2.2 60'. His 1-2 shift is too hard on the tune and is breaking traction on the street tires. For next time he will try softening the 1-2 shift back to stock and leaving the other shifts hard, my bet is mid 12s just from that change before tweaking the power part of the tune.

Ninjak

Posting from The Shadow's
Established Member
Ouch ! Thats a nasty pothole. Man that sucks.

On another note, yes your car is def faster. You should be able to get a 11.7~11.5 out of it with a good launch. My bud ran a 11.7 @122 with stock blower full bolt-ons last weds, and in the good air, ( 2 weeks ago) It was low 60's that week, he went 11.5.@123

Def time for some tires. You can only do so much on the stockers with the TQ our cars make.

YELL03

Established Member

On another note, yes your car is def faster. You should be able to get a 11.7~11.5 out of it with a good launch. My bud ran a 11.7 @122 with stock blower full bolt-ons last weds, and in the good air, ( 2 weeks ago) It was low 60's that week, he went 11.5.@123

Def time for some tires. You can only do so much on the stockers with the TQ our cars make.

The potholes are crazy around here.

I think on a clean pass my car will trap well over 125mph.
I lost a lot of et and mph trying to get in to 2nd gear.
Once in 2nd and through 3rd I have never had a car pull this hard.
I think the 11-12s lose some mph crossing the traps compared to the 13-14s as we have to grab 4th and the 13s cross in 3rd I believe.

DRs would definitely help, but I want to try again on Street tires.

BLK93GT

Established Member

Pulley too?? Seems like it should run better if pullied. I went 11.68@120 no power mods with drag radials. Stock tires 11.91@120. Good air of course.

I went 12.45@116 missing 2nd for a comparison. 100% stock.

1320 Junkie

Established Member
Howard if you want descent times at atco go to an event or rental...their test n tune prep is utter GARBAGE...you will never hook properly...my car was all over the track last season at every TnT there running High 10's pedaling it through 3rd sucks.

BLK93GT

Established Member
Howard if you want descent times at atco go to an event or rental...their test n tune prep is utter GARBAGE...you will never hook properly...my car was all over the track last season running High 10's pedaling it through 3rd.

Typical no prep BS? I wouldn't bother then! Probably don't spray either.

YELL03

Established Member
Pulley too?? Seems like it should run better if pullied. I went 11.68@120 no power mods with drag radials. Stock tires 11.91@120. Good air of course.

I went 12.45@116 missing 2nd for a comparison. 100% stock.

Missing 2nd cost you 4mph, I definitely should trap over 126-127, did you miss 2nd and go to 3rd or just retry it in to 2nd a 2nd time like I did?

Howard if you want descent times at atco go to an event or rental...their test n tune prep is utter GARBAGE...you will never hook properly...my car was all over the track last season at every TnT there running High 10's pedaling it through 3rd sucks.

I agree, track rentals are great, that is how I got mt 11.6 in my Viper.

YELL03

Established Member
I think I figured out why I am getting the 1-2 grind and lock-out...

I don't power shift, but I do lift throttle shift very fast (speed shift).

I actually shift in to the next gear before the clutch pedal ever hits the floor, I have always done this in other cars and had great results.

I think in the GT500 on the 1-2 shift I have to deliberately slow down, make sure the clutch pedal is to the floor, then shift 1-2, on the 2-3 and 3-4 I will speed shift as usual.

YELL03

Established Member
ouch ! time for some new rims eh ?

I ordered 2 New rims today from American Muscle, I was a little disappointed that the most they would discount them was 6%, I just bought them 1/6/14 and I buy a ton of stuff for both my Mustangs from them.

I would have bought rims elsewhere, but it is their brand, so I was out of luck.

tvspower

Established Member
Geeeeze sorry about your rim.. I remember that you just bought them. So glad nothing happened on the track... I would of thought at least 10% from AM for returning customer in such a short time.... Yes DR will give you a much better result....So will the 1-2grind FIX... Good Luck :beer:

YELL03

Established Member
Geeeeze sorry about your rim.. I remember that you just bought them. So glad nothing happened on the track... I would of thought at least 10% from AM for returning customer in such a short time.... Yes DR will give you a much better result....So will the 1-2grind FIX... Good Luck :beer:

Thanks, even worse, it was both rims.

I checked the tires tonight, the front one is bubbled and will need to be replaced, but at least all was safe on my pass like you said.

Users who are viewing this thread