At what cost would you move for a better job?

nodaksvt

ehhh?
Established Member
I am in the military as a aircraft mechanic (Dover AFB,DE) I volunteered and received orders to go to Minot, ND by the end of March (I was there before for 4 years and I personally liked it) The reason I volunteered to go was mainly because I cannot stand working here anymore and wanted out. So I think this could pertain to anyone who has come across this situation in any career, not just military.
The question goes out: In your opinion, is it worth leaving behind very good friends and not a real bad area (access to major cities, traveling, airports, beach, restaurants, etc...) and a job a cannot stand to go to I guess what would a familiar area with a job I would consider better. (a 5 year stability tour where I wouldnt have to worry about leaving and could finally buy a house).
I do have a choice whether I want to cancel my orders because it is a volunteer basis. So let me know what you all think.

JasonSnake

Established Member
Well... it doesn't have to be forever if you decide to go. I say give it a shot, stay for a few years and go back home again.

NO-BlkLightning2K

Putin 2016. Yup.
Established Member
no way i could deal with the winters up there. i went to dover for some c5 training; it didn't seem that bad to me. it's gotta be 10 times better than north dakota. lol.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
I am in the military as a aircraft mechanic (Dover AFB,DE) I volunteered and received orders to go to Minot, ND by the end of March (I was there before for 4 years and I personally liked it) The reason I volunteered to go was mainly because I cannot stand working here anymore and wanted out. So I think this could pertain to anyone who has come across this situation in any career, not just military.
The question goes out: In your opinion, is it worth leaving behind very good friends and not a real bad area (access to major cities, traveling, airports, beach, restaurants, etc...) and a job a cannot stand to go to I guess what would a familiar area with a job I would consider better. (a 5 year stability tour where I wouldnt have to worry about leaving and could finally buy a house).
I do have a choice whether I want to cancel my orders because it is a volunteer basis. So let me know what you all think.

Leaving out my personal dislike for how ****ing cold it gets up there .....

Most of the time I would much rather have a job I can enjoy and make new friends than stay in a job where I was unhappy.

I Moved to Texas from D.C. for that very reason. Made new friends and while I sometimes miss the Downtown D.C. clubs I am much happier in Austin.

moddestmike

2 Degrees/Still Confused
Established Member
Career wise, I'd go where there was a more money or a far superior location weather wise. You friends and family dont pay your bills so do whats best for you.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
In this economy, id say the ability to get a better job is priceless. Alot of people i know are stuck at shitty jobs, and thats the plight for most of the US right now because its not like you can go "well then find another" because the other doesnt exist.

If someone hired me right now to move anywhere and offered slightly more than i used to make and stable position in a company that is growing (IE good enough management decision making to weather the economy) thats good enough reason for me. Get in when the economy is shitty and grow and reap the benefits as the economy gets better.

D's01Snake

Motor City Muscle
Established Member
Well I personally am not a fan of my job but I do it anyways so i can put parts on my car and go faster. But if you hate the people you work with that makes the difference. I love the people I work with but if i hated them that would be different. I say move and be happy!

JohninMD

Established Member
I have turned down better paying jobs for a job I enjoyed. I got very lucky in my current situation and got a big payraise and still enjoy my job.

I agree, move and be happy.

HYBRED

That Just Happened
Established Member
You spend more time at your job than with your friends, I'd say go for the job you enjoy more :shrug:

zak88lx

Future SVT *****
Established Member
I would have considered moving for more money when I was single but now that I'm married it would take a boat load of money to convince the wife.
She has lived here her whole life and all of her family still lives here.

I have considered moving to Houston, TX in the past.

James Snover

The Ill-Advised Physics Amplification Co
Established Member
Premium Member
+1. And every time I did, I ended up making as much, or more, in the job I liked. You can always make more friends; you don't have to forsake the ones you have for new ones. And you can't beat having a job you enjoy.

Jim Snover

I have turned down better paying jobs for a job I enjoyed. I got very lucky in my current situation and got a big payraise and still enjoy my job.

I agree, move and be happy.

jpro

Disoriented Poster
Established Member
I've been wrestling with this for the past week...offered a job at a more prestigious university for about 30% more money than I currently make. However, I can't take the job. We are a dual-income household and my wife makes more money than I do, so the only way we would move is if I could make enough for her to stay home with the kids (1 year old daughter and another on the way in April). We would have to sell our home too, which in this market scares the hell outta me. So we are not going. :(

SickBlackMach

Throttling back
Established Member

FWIW, I was in your same situation when I was stationed at Travis AFB, CA... I was at the end of my enlistment and needed some change, I ended up taking an ART slot here at WPAFB AFB, OH and couldn't be happier.

nodaksvt

ehhh?
Established Member
thanks for the feedback. this place is good for many different views and perspectives.
north dakota is not a bad place to live at all. yes, there is no major metropolitan area with the best restaurants and getting places can be somewhat difficult, but to me the surrounding area is another reason why i would like to get back up there. winters are cold as piss but summers are gorgeous.

swoosh_stang

I'm not evil, Trust Me
Established Member
I know the exact limit as to what would keep me from moving for work, because I am not moving right now even though I've been out of work.

That limit is my son. I would leave my friends, my girlfriend (whom I care for very deeply), and everything else if I could find work, the only thing I won't leave behind is my son, so I'm stuck.

Users who are viewing this thread