At the mercy of the CA DMV??

LostRacer

I drive a Jalopy
Established Member
Recently I had to have a medical evaluation done required by the DMV. I misplaced my license and when I tried to get a new one they seemed surprised I'd been a type 1 diabetic for the last 20 years. I've had no issues with driving in regards to my illness. No seizures or lapse of conciousness of sorts. I do occasionally have my hypoglycemic moments. IMO its to be expected occasionally.

In filling out the medical form my doctor filled in a section incorrectly. In turn my license was suspended. I say incorrectly becasue she filled out the "Lapse of Conciousness Disorder" section stating I had a hypoglycemic moment yet took care of it myself.

In reading the medical section of the CA DMV's website, my interpretation is that for them to suspend your license you'd have to have had an episode of a seizure type or lapse of conciousness. I've had neither. Being my doctor filled in that section the way should did pretty much benched me.

Their options for reinstating my license has no bearing as to why they suspended it in the first place. Which leaves me up in arms. Can my doctor send them something saying it was a mistake and I shouldn't lose my license?
I'm really in a pickle currently. I'm a single parent with 2 kids and they start school next. I'm not about to drive on a suspended license, but I need something done. I tried calling the DMV but the people I spoke with were both lost. :shrug:

Thanks for any info you can provide me.

CPViolation

Car Crazy
Established Member
Bump
Sorry I can't be more help. It was 90 days automatic suspension for one seizure in 1996. By law doctors have/had to report episodes to DMV.
More than one I believe it was up to the doctor's discretion.
Sorry the doctor pooched the gooch for your diabetes.
Jeff

Scout238

Eaton Poweredddddd!!!
Established Member
If you get your Doctor to fix it and talk with a supervisor at DMV.... you might be able to get it worked out. Unfortunately CA DMV seems to have a mind of their own...

Users who are viewing this thread