At least Ford got it right...

stutter

eat me
Established Member
You know, as much as we have problems with our rear ends and clutch, at least ford built the motor in stock form good. Hearing about the new Hellcat that blew an engine and most recently a new Z06 that blew up, makes me glad that we don't have a whole lot of engine issues. Although they are still pushrod engines trying to make DOHC power lol. Here's the story on yahoo.....looks like GM can't get their new corvette right. https://autos.yahoo.com/news/first-2015-chevy-corvette-z06-engine-destroyed-just-234536392.html

T3RMIN8TOR

Established Member
I saw that too, they say it's possibly driver's error, downshifting into to 2nd gear from 5th by mistake. We'll see how they pan out in the near future!

93 347 Cobra

Established Member
I was on the 405 headed south towards Irvine while I was in LA the week of the LA Auto Show. Somewhere around Long Beach I saw a flat-bed wrecker with a Charger on back, when I passed I saw it had Hellcat badges. It was the same Charger Motor Trend photographed and possibly tested at that time and published online in the last week or so. That thing was broken so Motor Trend or whatever media outlet had the car had a major issue during testing. I'd imagine that Dodge brought the car out along with all the others for that show.

I saw it Thursday, November 20th about 10am. No outward damage so I'd guess engine or transmission.

Zemedici

Established Member
Sigh, 3rd thread about this topic. It was NOT driver error, there's a 14 page about it on corvette forum. Seems internal engine failure around cylinder 6.

BOSSPOWER

Established Member
The CFO in my company just ordered one, can't wait to roll with him...hope this does not happen to him.

I can vouch for our motor, it's a beast!

Manuel

paluka21

Established Member
Things like this happen to most cars, particularly a new model year car. If we start hearing about this more often then I would say its a trend or a QC issue. But a one off, I wouldn't consider it to be the norm.

Ghoust

Will Over Skill
Established Member
I sincerely hope this is a one off event. The biggest reason I sold my C6 Z06 was because of the LS7 engine failures and GM's failure to address it. GM lost me as a customer and this news doesn't restore my faith in their product.

Lethalchem

Sigmund Frod
Established Member
I saw that too, they say it's possibly driver's error, downshifting into to 2nd gear from 5th by mistake. We'll see how they pan out in the near future!

How can you blow a modern motor doing that with the rev limiters/fuel cutoff/etc they have now days?

stutter

eat me
Established Member
I went through all the owners post on that forum and it was not his fault. He had properly broke it in. The problem being GMs attempt to boost a factory engine with a compression ratio of 10:1. It's their own damn fault for not test their car properly. Hell, the stingray had a stop sale order on it till dealers fixed the oil issue!

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
I went through all the owners post on that forum and it was not his fault. He had properly broke it in. The problem being GMs attempt to boost a factory engine with a compression ratio of 10:1. It's their own damn fault for not test their car properly. Hell, the stingray had a stop sale order on it till dealers fixed the oil issue!

Static compression ratio has nothing to do with it.

An engine popping that early likely had a faulty part or incorrect assembly.

Last edited:

BrunotheBoxer

PUREBLOOD MASTERRACE
Established Member
Born and raised Brockton. Living in Naples.

What else would you expect from gm?

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
That is a huge benefit to us, the reliability of boosted mod motors from years of experience.
I'd hope GM and potentially Chrysler will find and fix the weak links on those new engines. If they don't, you know modding enthusiast like us surely will!
-J

Users who are viewing this thread