Article about America's double standards

StangJason

Established Member
Congressman Ron Paul's Texas Straight Talk

Texas Straight Talk
A weekly column

Imagine

Imagine for a moment that somewhere in the middle of Texas there was a large foreign military base, say Chinese or Russian. Imagine that thousands of armed foreign troops were constantly patrolling American streets in military vehicles. Imagine they were here under the auspices of “keeping us safe” or “promoting democracy” or “protecting their strategic interests.”

Imagine that they operated outside of US law, and that the Constitution did not apply to them. Imagine that every now and then they made mistakes or acted on bad information and accidentally killed or terrorized innocent Americans, including women and children, most of the time with little to no repercussions or consequences. Imagine that they set up check points on our soil and routinely searched and ransacked entire neighborhoods of homes. Imagine if Americans were fearful of these foreign troops, and overwhelmingly thought America would be better off without their presence.

Imagine if some Americans were so angry about them being in Texas that they actually joined together to fight them off, in defense of our soil and sovereignty, because leadership in government refused or were unable to do so. Imagine that those Americans were labeled terrorists or insurgents for their defensive actions, and routinely killed, or captured and tortured by the foreign troops on our land. Imagine that the occupiers’ attitude was that if they just killed enough Americans, the resistance would stop, but instead, for every American killed, ten more would take up arms against them, resulting in perpetual bloodshed. Imagine if most of the citizens of the foreign land also wanted these troops to return home. Imagine if they elected a leader who promised to bring them home and put an end to this horror.

Imagine if that leader changed his mind once he took office.

The reality is that our military presence on foreign soil is as offensive to the people that live there as armed Chinese troops would be if they were stationed in Texas. We would not stand for it here, but we have had a globe straddling empire and a very intrusive foreign policy for decades that incites a lot of hatred and resentment towards us.

According to our own CIA, our meddling in the Middle East was the prime motivation for the horrific attacks on 9/11. But instead of re-evaluating our foreign policy, we have simply escalated it. We had a right to go after those responsible for 9/11, to be sure, but why do so many Americans feel as if we have a right to a military presence in some 160 countries when we wouldn’t stand for even one foreign base on our soil, for any reason? These are not embassies, mind you, these are military installations. The new administration is not materially changing anything about this. Shuffling troops around and playing with semantics does not accomplish the goals of the American people, who simply want our men and women to come home. 50,000 troops left behind in Iraq is not conducive to peace any more than 50,000 Russian soldiers would be in the United States.

Shutting down military bases and ceasing to deal with other nations with threats and violence is not isolationism. It is the opposite. Opening ourselves up to friendship, honest trade and diplomacy is the foreign policy of peace and prosperity. It is the only foreign policy that will not bankrupt us in short order, as our current actions most definitely will. I share the disappointment of the American people in the foreign policy rhetoric coming from the administration. The sad thing is, our foreign policy WILL change eventually, as Rome’s did, when all budgetary and monetary tricks to fund it are exhausted.

Posted by Ron Paul (03-09-2009, 10:29 AM) filed under Foreign Policy
Click here to read the full article:
Congressman Ron Paul

Coiled03

Established Member
Imagine how loud the complaining from those foreign lands would be if we did what this article suggests.

As much as I hate it, we're the world's police because we're expected to be as the most powerful nation on the planet. Using the Middle East as an example isn't really fair. That place is too jacked up to be the example for anything.

Tunink

Established Member
Imagine how loud the complaining from those foreign lands would be if we did what this article suggests.

As much as I hate it, we're the world's police because we're expected to be as the most powerful nation on the planet. Using the Middle East as an example isn't really fair. That place is too jacked up to be the example for anything.

Why should we be? Why should I pay out of my pocket to help those people who should help themselves?

Instead of doing what's right for everyone else, I think we need to fix us first.

First on the agenda needs to be getting rid of this damn entitlement/welfare state mentality...

LS2GTO

Established Member
It's a double standard if we do pull out. I mean, if we don't do shit then we are looked down upon and people get pissed that we don't help or do something about it. But then when we do get our asses there and do something about it, we get bitched at and are classified as bad guys.

While I do agree with that article, if we didn't do anything there would also be problems. It's not like we're doing this for the heck of it and because we like bullying people, it's because if we don't then there's issues.

black4vcobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Ever think that Obama changed his mind once he became president because a president is offered a little more insight and knowledge than a junior senator? Maybe he realized it was in America's best interest to stay in Iraq for a while longer...makes sense doesn't it.

Like other posters have said America is the world's police. It is a double standard, we are hated for being the world's police, but if we sit back and ignore the problems of the world we are looked at as being self-center a-holes who don't care about anyone else. Naturally America takes the route that ensures a more peaceful world.

I'm not a fan of paying for policing the world, but I am a fan of not having to worry about terrorists obtaining or building nukes to detonate on American soil.

jasonpalamar

Established Member
It's a double standard if we do pull out. I mean, if we don't do shit then we are looked down upon and people get pissed that we don't help or do something about it. But then when we do get our asses there and do something about it, we get bitched at and are classified as bad guys.

While I do agree with that article, if we didn't do anything there would also be problems. It's not like we're doing this for the heck of it and because we like bullying people, it's because if we don't then there's issues.

I agree. I"m ex military. I don't agree with being in the middle east the way we are now. But, if we don't do anything, things will get worse. This is a situation that you can only make the best decision based on what intel you have. Keep in mind that these situations are complex on many sides that we can't even emagine. Tough decisiosn that we as citiazens may not fully understand yet we complain when they make decisions we cannot make. We voted them in office to do the jobs we didn't want to....

Tabres

Not without incident
Established Member
I really would have liked to have seen Ron Paul as the republican canidate in this past election...

Tunink

Established Member
I really would have liked to have seen Ron Paul as the republican canidate in this past election...

He would have stomped Obama on every single issue.

He's a man of principle and substance.

Obama is a empty suit, a well speaking one at that.

terrible one

American Made
Established Member
f the rest of the world. the majority hate us anyway so why should be spend billions each year messing with other countries just because they cant get their act together.

NyteByte

Pro-Freedom
Established Member
There is one important difference that the article omits.

If America was a sponsor of terrorism, funded terrorism, harbored terrorists and those terrorists attacked Russia or China, then maybe I could understand why there would be foreign troops in Texas.

It's not like we invaded those Middle Eastern shit holes for fun. We don't want to be there.

Jack32v

Slow Lane..
Established Member
there is one important difference that the article omits.

If america was a sponsor of terrorism, funded terrorism, harbored terrorists and those terrorists attacked russia or china, then maybe i could understand why there would be foreign troops in texas.

It's not like we invaded those middle eastern shit holes for fun. We don't want to be there.

+1

50 Proof

Established Member

If America was a sponsor of terrorism, funded terrorism, harbored terrorists and those terrorists attacked Russia or China, then maybe I could understand why there would be foreign troops in Texas.

It's not like we invaded those Middle Eastern shit holes for fun. We don't want to be there.

+1

Finally someone with some commen sense.

Tunink

Established Member

I am sure you don't, and I'm sure the rest of our country wouldn't want to be there.

I am sure that the letter is directed mainly at Ron Paul supporters with the understanding of his stances and basic non-revisionist history, on why our policies have led to what is going on in the Middle East. Learn about US and UK meddlings in the middle east since the end of WW2.

Just watch this:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQrwKr_b4Lg]YouTube - Ron Paul - Rudy Giuliani Blowback Debate[/ame]

ElGato

There is no cure
Established Member
Imagine a country with enough money to build an island shaped like a palm tree and some of the world's tallest buildings. Then imagine this country calling America spoiled.

*cough* UAE/Dubai*cough*

Users who are viewing this thread