Are you guys using a 108" belt with a 3.33" pulley on a vortech?

dwtjr3

Established Member
I have a s trim with a 3.33" and I put a new tensioner and belt on at the same time and at first the belt seemed alright and on the dyno I hit 11psi with it. and now I am hitting 8-9 max.

Now about a year later I can push my belt by hand and hear the play in my tensioner, so I plan on doing another tensioner.

But I have talked to a few experienced centri owners and they say to find a belt that keeps the tensioner maxed out at all times.

So my question is, what belt and what size belt are you guys using with a 3.33" blower pulley and all the other pulleys are stock And also where did you get your belts from?

01yellercobra

Established Member
How many miles have you put on that belt? Superchargers are harder on belts. I prefer to keep the tensioner about the middle of it's travel. If you run a belt that's so short the tensioner is against the stop all the time you'll damage your front main bearing.

dwtjr3

Established Member
I have about 7k miles on the belt if that.

It just confuses me because reading the pulley combo thread I see people running 3.33" with other pulleys being stock and one used a 112" belt and another used a 107.5" and they were both new edge 2v's

And I am running a cheap auto zone belt, I couldnt find a gates belt that was 108"

01yellercobra

Established Member
AC-Delco also carries a heavy duty belt. I get mine from Amazon. If the 108 puts the tensioner about mid travel then it's the right length IMO.

I know the routing changed in 01 for the 4V. If the two cars you're looking at are different years that might explain the belt length difference.

Last edited:

dwtjr3

Established Member
yeah the routing has to of changed, AC-delco has some good belts as well?

1996MysticSnake

Established Member
I run a 112.5 on my 96 cobra with a thump racing tensioner fits perfect and no slip at all

dwtjr3

Established Member
ok thank you, I have to try and find a belt. I am struggling to find a HD belt 108" in 6 rib, theres a bunch of 8 rib belts.

gixxer1kr

Established Member
I'm having good luck with gator back 4061080 which I believe is 108 . After my first belt toss I also bought a new tensioner at napa. I do highly recommend
throwing in a small pulley in between the alternator and crank. That's the problem spot . It's the longest spot that flaps around the most at high revs.

Stanger00

Established Member
I have about 7k miles on the belt if that.

It just confuses me because reading the pulley combo thread I see people running 3.33" with other pulleys being stock and one used a 112" belt and another used a 107.5" and they were both new edge 2v's

And I am running a cheap auto zone belt, I couldnt find a gates belt that was 108"

Not all new edge 2 valves are running a single bolt tensioner. Some have switched to 3 bolt tensioner. The single bolt tensioner uses a shorter belt and the 3 bolt uses a longer one.

The 108 should be fine for your application. Buy an OEM tensioner or get the Thump Racing Tensioner.

I ran a 3.1 pulley on my car and it was consistent with 10-12 psi at 6k rpms. I didn't think a 3.33 would make that much boost.

dwtjr3

Established Member
on the dyno I hit 11 psi with the powerpipe so that what I am going off of, I know I wont make 11psi every day tho. And you dont like the tensioners from auto zone?

And thanks or the part number gixxer, I will look into it.

dwtjr3

Established Member
Just ordered that belt gixxer, thanks for the part number

I will keep everyone posted, I plan to machine a auxiliary idler with a bolt to help keep tensioner better, when I get around to it I will post pictures.

gixxer1kr

Established Member
Not sure on the autozone tensioner but napa carried Gates tensioners reboxed by Napa. Andwhat I did was remove the timing bolt in the center of the crank and alternator and put a longer one in place with a spacer and pulley. Throws a nice kink and puts pressure there.

Users who are viewing this thread