Are they really that bad...???

Pale Roader

Stuck in Mopar Hell...
Established Member
Been looking high and low for a solid 4V Cobra coupe... and finding nothing. Then this foxbody hatch comes across my path, its nice, under 100K miles, looks stock, the color i want, 5 speed, has full Eibach suspension mods, full exhaust, a built 306 and 3.73 gears in a rebuilt posi. I wasn't particularly looking for one, but i gotta admit i've always have a soft spot for a really clean, stock looking LX. I've had a 96 GT, but never an older one.

Thing is... i NEED a really GOOD car right now. I cant be buying something and have it break down on me, or need any real money for the forseeable future. I need reliable, and good mileage (i consider 25mpg highway to be good). This car is easily worth the asking price, but its still a tad more than i feel comfortable spending on a 25 year old car... even with lower mileage. I'm on the highway a LOT, many long-distance trips.

I sure hear a whole lotta grief about LX's... living with them, them needing money all the time, having issues, etc. I even read that here. I always thought they were really solid, good reliable cars?

Would a 'built' 306 with 165 AFR's, e303 cam, 17:1 Crane rockers, Systemax lower intake and BBK headers be too much a hot rod for reliable road trips? Its supposedly pretty mild for all that stuff.

Further, what damage would those mods do to the factory stock milage?

I can live with a hotrod, even daily drive one. My last daily was a 72 Charger with a pretty cranky 440, more race car than street car. Anything i buy now just HAS to start and run every time i turn the key. Hopefully people here can help me on this, not a whole lotta traffic in this section, but i dont want to register on another forum to ask the same questions. Is it a good gamble? or is an older LX a bit too sketchy for my needs? I cant wait forever for a decent 4V Cobra.

Last edited:

Fox 5.0

Established Member
Hmm, nothing about that set up says the car will/should/has to be UNreliable. I daily drove my H/C/I 331 for years. Ya it wasn't the most comfortable or tame car to drive, but I did. Any car that old will eventually have its little issues here and there. When the major stuff that you had mentioned has already been taken care of (engine, rear end, etc) you gotta know that the little shit will creep up. i.e. 25 year old rubber hoses, fittings, electrical stuff eventually dries out and will crap out. I highly doubt the car will leave you stranded, but it probably won't be a joy to drive all the time.

Pale Roader

Stuck in Mopar Hell...
Established Member
Well thats good to hear. So all the complaints are simply due to the mounting age ov the cars?

How about the mileage question. Will those mods make a big difference in the MPG? or possibly make no difference or better due to increased efficiency?

wheelhopper

Established Member
Reliability depends on how well the car is built and how it is taken car of. I got 165K miles out of my mildly modded '85GT. My '90GT has been very reliable up to 97K miles. The last 3K-4K the car has still been reliable and it is a track only car now.

I think your obstacle is going to be getting 25mpg. I don't think you'll ever get that out of even a stock fox body. You may be able to get 21-22 out of a mildly modded one, but a 331 stroker...forget it.

Fox 5.0

Established Member
I think your obstacle is going to be getting 25mpg. I don't think you'll ever get that out of even a stock fox body. You may be able to get 21-22 out of a mildly modded one, but a 331 stroker...forget it.
+1 I see 22mpg only if thats like 99.9999% freeway driving, everything else is 14-18mpg depending on how badly I get on it.

Pale Roader

Stuck in Mopar Hell...
Established Member
Gotcha.

Hmmm... Okay, went to look at it today, looked it over thoroughly, took it for a good test drive, etc. I'm really pulling my hair out over this one. VERY tempted. Body wasn't quite as nice as i'd hoped, though very clean and no rust... just a few dings/very minor dents, missing an emblem, one molding was slightly off color, etc. Started up fine (cold), sounded good, very healthy, drove very well, definitely fast enough, handled and braked very well... though the World Class T5 was a bit obstinate coming in and out ov gear (seemed more a clutch adjustment issue to me). Really really couldn't find much fault anywhere. I just wonder how its really been driven, as the seller was young and was pretty honest about his driving habits. Car used to have a supercharger on it, which is why the original engine and T5 are gone now. The car's been through a couple ov racers for sure. It seems like a car thats been thoroughly gone through, front to back top to bottom, in the 80K miles it has. That could be good (all worked out/tuned/upgraded) or bad (everything's been broken at least once). The interior was the cleanest i've ever seen in a fox Mustang.

As for mileage, he claimed about 15mpg, though pretty much all city driving/commuting. It also has 3.73 gears, which i would quickly have swapped out for some 3.08's or even higher gear (allowing some budget for that). The car had plenty ov pull low in the powerband, so it sure as hell wouldn't suffer much. I wont be drag racing it.

Oh what the hell, here's the link:

1989 Mustang lx 5.0 hatch

Again, all the above is just gravy. I need a car that will start every time i turn the key. Period. And also a car that will not de-value by a ton if i find my dream car and have to sell it in a year.

Fox 5.0

Established Member
Car does look really good. I do however think $6,800 is just a tad bit high for a Fox without a 5-lug conversion and some body issues. Just my $.02. I get what he's going for, I have like the same car basically... bored out 302, H/C/I, suspension, etc etc.... but I also have a WC T-5 that is on its way out, pops out of gear sometimes, needs some body work, etc I always thought if I were to sell it i'd put it up for $6,500 but I have more done to mine than he does. And mines no hunk of junk either, just saying its not perfect.

FISHTAIL

Will Work For Mods
Established Member
Well, I DD'd my 92GT until it had almost 200k on the clock. I drove it back and forth to school, which was about 110-130 miles a day, for a couple of years before I got a CRX as a beater to save on gas.

Depending on mods, and condition, I've gotten as good as 25-26hwy out of mine, but that was not the norm. 21-22 was more typical.

Provided it's well cared for, it won't give you any real problems. However, compared to today's cars, a fox mustang is pretty, well, uncivilized. As long as your ok with that, you'll be fine with it as a driver.

Pale Roader

Stuck in Mopar Hell...
Established Member
Car does look really good. I do however think $6,800 is just a tad bit high for a Fox without a 5-lug conversion and some body issues. Just my $.02. I get what he's going for, I have like the same car basically... bored out 302, H/C/I, suspension, etc etc.... but I also have a WC T-5 that is on its way out, pops out of gear sometimes, needs some body work, etc I always thought if I were to sell it i'd put it up for $6,500 but I have more done to mine than he does. And mines no hunk of junk either, just saying its not perfect.

Actually, theres quite a bit more done to the car than is listed. Everywhere you look, new/upgraded parts. Only the interior was left stock... not even an aftermarket tach. The body stuff is very minor... the kind i like to see really... i hate perfect cars. Little tiny knuckle dents in the roof, a door ding here, another there... not much really (and none scratched the paint). Its had both bumpers replaced due to minor bumps, and a scrape down one side, thus the nice new paint. It looks and drives like a very clean car... not a bagged/bashed car, but one thats definitely seen some speed in its day.

Oh and Fishtail... i'm fine with uncivilized... the car seemed plenty civilized compared to what i've driven before when i test drove it. Again... and i reiterate... it just needs to start up every day... even in the winter, as long as theres no snow. Its also gotta get at least decent mileage... right now i'm driving a borrowed Pathfinder thats lucky to get 19 on the highway. THAT... will not do.

wieduwilt

"30 clips in a mag"
Established Member
Been looking high and low for a solid 4V Cobra coupe... and finding nothing. Then this foxbody hatch comes across my path, its nice, under 100K miles, looks stock, the color i want, 5 speed, has full Eibach suspension mods, full exhaust, a built 306 and 3.73 gears in a rebuilt posi. I wasn't particularly looking for one, but i gotta admit i've always have a soft spot for a really clean, stock looking LX. I've had a 96 GT, but never an older one.

Thing is... i NEED a really GOOD car right now. I cant be buying something and have it break down on me, or need any real money for the forseeable future. I need reliable, and good mileage (i consider 25mpg highway to be good). This car is easily worth the asking price, but its still a tad more than i feel comfortable spending on a 25 year old car... even with lower mileage. I'm on the highway a LOT, many long-distance trips.

I sure hear a whole lotta grief about LX's... living with them, them needing money all the time, having issues, etc. I even read that here. I always thought they were really solid, good reliable cars?

Would a 'built' 306 with 165 AFR's, e303 cam, 17:1 Crane rockers, Systemax lower intake and BBK headers be too much a hot rod for reliable road trips? Its supposedly pretty mild for all that stuff.

Further, what damage would those mods do to the factory stock milage?

I can live with a hotrod, even daily drive one. My last daily was a 72 Charger with a pretty cranky 440, more race car than street car. Anything i buy now just HAS to start and run every time i turn the key. Hopefully people here can help me on this, not a whole lotta traffic in this section, but i dont want to register on another forum to ask the same questions. Is it a good gamble? or is an older LX a bit too sketchy for my needs? I cant wait forever for a decent 4V Cobra.

That's the same "dilemma" I had. I was wanting to get into another AB Mach 1 or a clean new edge and have some cash left over for a few go-fast mods. But, like you, I have and always will have respect and a soft spot for a clean, well built fox. I just love the hell out of 'em!

Then, Dave's hatch went up for sale and I just had to have it. I'll put it to you this way:

The car is a 1993 with 100,000 miles on the body, motor out of a 1990 with ~75,000 miles now, ported and polished Edelbrock Performer heads, TFS cams, 1.7 lifters, full exhaust, rebuilt transmission, Vortech Si-Trim, you should get the point, it's got quite a few go-fast mods. It's never been on a dyno, but its making at least 400 at the tire.

I drove the car 25 hours straight from Plattsburgh, NY to Collierville, TN. That's about 1400 miles. I never had any problems the whole way, and not one mechanical problem for the past 3 months besides one fuel injector coming loose. Other than that theres been no hiccups, no issues, nothing. This after driving 25 hours straight, with no stops but for gas or food, ~15 1/4 mile passes, and many weekends worth of cruises and late night street races.

Granted, I don't drive the car but on weekends or nights out with the main squeeze, but when I do drive the car, I drive the **** out of it.

Ultimately, I think part of it is how well it was built. Dave did an excellent job in every aspect on every mod he added to the car.

Also, think of it this way: every car can break things whether it be a Prius or an 8000 horsepower dragster. In your case, I wouldn't hesitate. As i read it, the car seems to be built and setup well. If the price is right, and the car is 100% mechanically sound as it sits right now, I wouldn't see a problem in your situation (mostly highway driving). :thumbsup:

wieduwilt

"30 clips in a mag"
Established Member
Also, with my mods, I had no problems banging 75 on the interstate and getting 23 MPG's when I drove it home from NY. I get about 18 MPG's city driving - if I keep my foot out of it. But, like I said, I drive the **** out of the car now. :burnout:

Pale Roader

Stuck in Mopar Hell...
Established Member
Ultimately, I think part of it is how well it was built. Dave did an excellent job in every aspect on every mod he added to the car.

Also, think of it this way: every car can break things whether it be a Prius or an 8000 horsepower dragster. In your case, I wouldn't hesitate. As i read it, the car seems to be built and setup well. If the price is right, and the car is 100% mechanically sound as it sits right now, I wouldn't see a problem in your situation (mostly highway driving). :thumbsup:

I'd say the same thing if someone asked me. My problem is, i really dont know who built the thing. This guy bought it off a local Mustang guy 'known at the races', a speed-shop employee. It was already built at that point... he just added the suspension. That SHOULD mean quality... maybe i'm just paranoid. Have NOT had good luck with cars this year. Just by sheer luck ov the dice and bad timing i've had three cars (two were GOOD) cars shit the bed on me this year. The guy selling it sure seems to know the car, just kinda question his motive for selling it, seeing as he loves the car so much. I wish i could get it to my mechanic in town... but that would be a logistical nightmare and eat up another $100 +.

It'll be about 50% highway... i commute in town a lot. I just like long high-speed road trips... I'm factoring a swap back to 3.08 or 2.73 gears (paying someone to do it) into the budget if i buy this car. Sad, but necessary. My goal is a reliable commuter that is at least fun to drive... something i can baby to sip gas when i need to, but hammer to beat the other guy should the need arise. I wont lie, the AFR 165's are a big part ov the draw here... very nice power, but efficient as well. The engine combo seems nicely balanced for that as well.

Damn i'm tempted... . . . . Doesn't help that the nearest viable 4V Cobra is 600 miles away and in another country.

GRFox

Established Member
This thread kind of confused me a little bit. I would have to say my opinion of the 87-93 Fox bodes is the exact opposite. That power plant might be one of the most reliable engines ever built IMO. Weather in the Explores, F150, E150, or Mustang they run and run and run and never seem to break or die until you start ripping them apart and cobbling them back together, and even then its small things like vacuum or electrical issues.

There is a guy on Modded Mustangs I believe with over 300K miles on a GT. I know a guy who drives an 89 F150 around town with over 350K on the odometer.

If its a stock-ish car, it doesn't really get much more reliable than that.

Pale Roader

Stuck in Mopar Hell...
Established Member
This thread kind of confused me a little bit. I would have to say my opinion of the 87-93 Fox bodes is the exact opposite. That power plant might be one of the most reliable engines ever built IMO. Weather in the Explores, F150, E150, or Mustang they run and run and run and never seem to break or die until you start ripping them apart and cobbling them back together, and even then its small things like vacuum or electrical issues.

There is a guy on Modded Mustangs I believe with over 300K miles on a GT. I know a guy who drives an 89 F150 around town with over 350K on the odometer.

If its a stock-ish car, it doesn't really get much more reliable than that.

Well, its a clean car, but most things have been upgraded. The engine is a stock-stroke 306, but with (the owner figures) a very stock injector-limited 320RWHP. Driving it, i believe him. AFR heads, e303 cam, Holley lower intake, headers, 1.7 rockers, supposed 10.5:1 compression, etc. Little worried about long trips with that engine... but then, its really the cam/valvetrain that stresses an engine most, and this one's pretty mild.

Good to hear though. Your opinion is pretty much what i'd always thought about these cars... before i really started researching them.

Pale Roader

Stuck in Mopar Hell...
Established Member
Two other really nice GT's fell through for me today. I do not want another GT, but these were both very nice and MUCH newer (one a 2001, the other a 2003).

My mechanic friend, with much experience in HP cars had the opposite opinion as so many here. He said a 320+HP car is going to be nothing but headaches, especially for long sustained highway trips. Everyone here for, one against. Grrr...

Why cant i bring myself to pull the trigger on this LX...???

Fox 5.0

Established Member
I feel your pain. Honestly, coming from a guy who owns a modded fox... I hate to admit it, but if you're looking for reliability and 'good' gas mileage, i'd recommend not buying it. As I stated before, the engine itself may be reliable, but all the other little crap that will pop up will get annoying for a car built for DD purposes.

I ended up buying a 98 Cobra, bone stock, as my DD. I still drive my Fox more often (I know, defeats the purpose of the 'DD' title) but when I need to cart the g/f around and enjoy A/C thats what I end up driving. Driving solo... Fox all day.

FISHTAIL

Will Work For Mods
Established Member
What is he basing his opinion on? Power level? Bah. I daily drove a 600+ rwhp 03 cobra in stop and go traffic for a over a year before I got a more efficient DD.

As long as the engine is put together well, it shouldn't give you any problems. Like Fox 5.0 said though, your gotcha is in the rest of the auxiliary systems. You might have the alternator crap out on you, or the TFI module..could have a ball joint fail..etc.

All the same kind of stuff that any older car could hit you with. Unless the car has been totally redone (which is unlikely at that price point) you will eventually be fixing some minor stuff down the road.

Now, having said that, if you like the car, and you are comfortable working on them, don't let that worry you to much. Fox mustangs are EASY to fix, and there is a real wealth of knowledge out there about them. Parts are everywhere and generally in-expensive, so as long as you are prepared to occasionally fix a few things, it should be fine.

Pale Roader

Stuck in Mopar Hell...
Established Member
I feel your pain. Honestly, coming from a guy who owns a modded fox... I hate to admit it, but if you're looking for reliability and 'good' gas mileage, i'd recommend not buying it. As I stated before, the engine itself may be reliable, but all the other little crap that will pop up will get annoying for a car built for DD purposes.

I ended up buying a 98 Cobra, bone stock, as my DD. I still drive my Fox more often (I know, defeats the purpose of the 'DD' title) but when I need to cart the g/f around and enjoy A/C thats what I end up driving. Driving solo... Fox all day.

Well wouldn't that be perfect. The perfect car would be either a black 98 or 99 Cobra. I love the look ov the 98's, but i like that the 99's have C-heads and IRS... they'll be faster and handle better. I also would rather a car NOT stand out... so the 99's are a bit more 'invisible' in a parking lot, if you know what i mean. Still... i'm burning up friendships fast here borrowing a car, and there are no Cobra's in sight.

As for 'good' mileage. 'Good' to me would be anything over 20mpg on the highway. I can generally squeeze 3-5 more mpg out ov a car than most people anyways from driving habits. And ANY car can be made more efficient too, usually by a decent degree.

Last edited:

Pale Roader

Stuck in Mopar Hell...
Established Member
What is he basing his opinion on? Power level? Bah. I daily drove a 600+ rwhp 03 cobra in stop and go traffic for a over a year before I got a more efficient DD.

Well, take no offense from this, but a Terminator can see that power without messing with the car too much. This entire car has been messed with. Most systems have been upgraded or replaced.

As long as the engine is put together well, it shouldn't give you any problems. Like Fox 5.0 said though, your gotcha is in the rest of the auxiliary systems. You might have the alternator crap out on you, or the TFI module..could have a ball joint fail..etc.

All the same kind of stuff that any older car could hit you with. Unless the car has been totally redone (which is unlikely at that price point) you will eventually be fixing some minor stuff down the road.

Little worried about the WC T5, like i said, a bit ornery coming out ov gear. Seemed a tad odd, though i'd never actually driven a T5 before, only T45's. That and its gonna cost me a bit more than i expected to have someone swap rear gears for me. Definitely WAY easier to do on an old Mopar! Beyond that, and the speedo not working, i really cant think ov any reasons not to buy it.

Now, having said that, if you like the car, and you are comfortable working on them, don't let that worry you to much. Fox mustangs are EASY to fix, and there is a real wealth of knowledge out there about them. Parts are everywhere and generally in-expensive, so as long as you are prepared to occasionally fix a few things, it should be fine.

Yep... easy to fix, and good used parts everywhere. Cheap new parts. I just DONT want to fix anything right now. No shop, minimal tools. Minimal patience for wrenching right now.

Hmmm... . . .

Also wondering why it hasn't sold by now. Its been up for a while and everyone agrees its a great deal.

Pale Roader

Stuck in Mopar Hell...
Established Member
So i bought a 96GT today. Had decided to go make a fairly aggressive offer on that LX tomorrow... if he took it, great, i'd have some money for potential problems should they arise.

Then TODAY... this GT pops up on dregslist, and its 2 minutes (as opposed to 60 miles like every other car i've looked at) from my bloody house, and its CHEEEEEP. 160000 miles (bit high for me). Green i dont mind, original paint, Cobra front bumper (yes!), not thrashed inside (nor super nice either). Lowered, shifter (yes!), offroad H and Flowmaster system, new tires. Lots ov minor little issues... pass window wont roll down (motor is very strong, something catches), key is very worn (all locks stick), one loud pulley, cracked windshield, CD wont come out ov cheap aftermarket deck... though radio and Mach 460 works fine), and something is up with the gas gauge (was dead-empty and 15 bucks does NOT buy a half tank ov gas in BC!!!)... so i was very hesitant to even take it for a drive. But i did. Drove like it had 40K on it. Damn. Drove nicer than my last GT when i bought it (w 100K). I was VERY impressed... even faster than my ol GT (with better mods). Rather have a Dr. Gas X and Spintechs, but this still sounds pretty damn nice.

So i told the guy if he took my rather offensive offer, i'd be back in 5 minutes with cash. He did. Got it for 3/4 ov the asking price... which was already lower than pretty much every beat 6cyl SN in the province right now. He lied about a few things, but i caught them before i made the offer. Why the HELL someone would lie about shit with such a low price i have no idea. Dude... when its that cheap, be ****ing honest... it'll be gone tomorrow either way.

Anyways, plan is to fix the lil stuff, toss some rollers on it, clean it up (she's a dirty diiiirty girl...) and drive it. Flipping it will net me a quick G towards the car i really want... that black 98-99 Cobra. Just put 5K back in the bank today. First automotive break i've had in a long loooonnng time. Hope it keeps running...

The AFR scream dream will have to wait i guess... till its time to 5.0L my Pinto...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread