Are the 2011 blowers setup to NOT kick-in while in first gear?

vankuen

Established Member
I just noticed today while taking her out for some photos, that the SC doesn't function at all in first gear, even when flooring it through to redline. It almost seems as if it wants to, but doesn't. In second gear it starts to kick in though throughout the remaining gears.

I never noticed it before. To tell the truth I pressure washed the car for the first time the other night, and as soon as I drove off (did spot free rinse and didn't hand dry) the car felt...different...slower.

Today I drive it and it still feels about the same as right after the pressure wash. Then I noticed the blower not activating until after I'm in second gear. There's no engine lights, and system check is good. So I don't think the computer would be in safe mode or anything.

Is this normal operation for this car?

UPDATE: PER JON LUND--THE 2011 GT500's ARE RESTRICTED FROM BOOST IN 1st GEAR

Last edited:

cbarile

Established Member
Our blowers do not have a clutch like a mercedes, so I think the blower is on at all times. Maybe someone else will chime in if I am wrong.

skyhighsd

Established Member
If it was in safe mode you would know it! Something is up with your car, do you have any after market gauges in your car? Have you done anything to it lately(new mods)?

skyhighsd

Established Member
You are not showing any boost on your factory gauge(dont really trust them but thats me) in first at all?

vankuen

Established Member
Nope...I saw it "twitch a bit" once...but generally no it's not registering. I could tell that it wasn't really working...I mean the car FEELS slower compared to when the gauge WAS showing boost being built.. It's just weird since from what I know...blowers work off pulleys.

Though the car did have the ability for the ECU to shut it down for the first 100 miles.

vankuen

Established Member
If I hit the gas at 30% or more it will build to about 10-12lbs at most from 2nd gear up.

Last edited:

MattR

Established Member
If I hit the gas at 30% or more it will build to about 10-12lbs at most.

They only make 9lbs stock. It also says in the owners manual not to run it through a car wash. maybe you got something wet under the hood thats not supposed to?

I've never watched the gauge in first gear, to busy trying to keep in between the ditches.

GetBlown2k3

Established Member
throw a Whipple 4.0 on with a 2" pulley, see if that'll make boost? :p

lol just kidding, but yes, to second what was said above, definitely take it to a dealer. I have seen some horrible things from people washing engines...

SicShelby09

Banned
Wow. Gotta love these threads. I'll be willing to bet that you are NOT flooring it in 1st. It will not go into boost until there is enough load to push it from vacuum to boost. And I can assure you that you are not pushing it hard enough.

LilJay

My 2011 does the same thing. It will not build boost in 1st, I have 1500 miles on my car. I changed to a VMP tune which helped alot.

vankuen

Established Member
Wow. Gotta love these threads. I'll be willing to bet that you are NOT flooring it in 1st. It will not go into boost until there is enough load to push it from vacuum to boost. And I can assure you that you are not pushing it hard enough.

You also gotta love when people think they know what happened when they werent there. I'm flooring it, I did it several times. I do a launch from standstill, and I've done it from a slow rolling start. Yes, the tires still break, and yes the car can get squirrely.

So no you can't assure me anything...because you're wrong. I am fully aware of vacuum and boost, having come from the evo 9. What I'm asking though, is whether or not the car's ECU still limits the boost in first like it limited boost during the first 100 miles.

I never thought a SC could be turned off at all to be honest--I ask because the car was able to do it for break in so there's obviously a way to do it.
_

Last edited:

vankuen

Established Member
They only make 9lbs stock. It also says in the owners manual not to run it through a car wash. maybe you got something wet under the hood thats not supposed to?

I've never watched the gauge in first gear, to busy trying to keep in between the ditches.

Well I doubt the gauge is that accurate. I couldnt tell exactly but it travels (give or take) about 75% of the dial.

I didn't run it through some automated wash, it was a handheld wand. I didn't spray it directly into the vents or ram air inlet, bit just sprayed across it for a split second. Ironically, what do you think the dealers use to wash the cars?? I've seen them use the same wands.

I'm hoping it's just a slipping belt or something...or maybe a freak ECU thing where I can just reset it by unplugging the battery for a while. I can't test it out again today though because it's too cold tonight on my drive home. Tomorrow I'll see about testing it again to recheck my findings before taking it to a dealer.

Last edited:

09Troublemaker

" That don't sound stock"
Established Member
Well I doubt the gauge is that accurate. I couldnt tell exactly but it travels (give or take) about 75% of the dial.

I didn't run it through some automated wash, it was a handheld wand. I didn't spray it directly into the vents or ram air inlet, bit just sprayed across it for a split second. Ironically, what do you think the dealers use to wash the cars?? I've seen them use the same wands.

I'm hoping it's just a slipping belt or something...or maybe a freak ECU thing where I can just reset it by unplugging the battery for a while. I can't test it out again today though because it's too cold tonight on my drive home. Tomorrow I'll see about testing it again to recheck my findings before taking it to a dealer.

sounds like something is going on, as you should be able to
smoke the f-ing tires.......

g/l;-)

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
How would the car PCM know that it was in first gear? There is no sensor for this that I am aware of.

Unless it is calculating speed versus RPM, I have no idea how it could do that.

Users who are viewing this thread