Are my tires too wide???

cliff724

Established Member
So I just put some "like new" tires on my car. I have a 2012 Roush RS1 with 20 x 8.5 wheels. The tires that were on there since I bought it were 255/35/20's. I went with a wider tire...285/30/20. It now feels like my side walls are collapsing or rolling over when I am cornering and when I'm driving on a highway at speeds of 60+, my car will float back and forth like my tires are under pressurized but I know that I have plenty of pressure in them. So I just want to know if the tires are just too wide or could the sidewalls have been damaged when they were installed? Also...what is the widest size tire I can go without any effects? Thanks.

gt5.0coyote

Established Member
I think the tires are way too wide. According to Tire Rack a 285/30/20 is supposed to go on a 9.5-10.5 rim. The widest safest tire size I would put on it is a 255 maybe a 265. I would do a 255/35/20, which is the tire that came off of it.

Shelbanator

Established Member
I dont see y that should be of any issue as i myself have 2013 shelby with factory 20x9 in the rear with 285/35/20 as far as the side motion could just be the highway itself

cliff724

Established Member
Thanks for the replies. I was pretty sure that they were too wide but just wanted to get somebody else opinion.

Derek@Lethal

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Post a photo of what the tire looks like on the wheel. I've personally run a 285 width tire on a stock fox body 10 hole wheel (15x7 wheel) so I had much more sidewall and I didn't notice any ill effects. Those cars obviously don't handle too well to begin with but the car did not handle any worse.

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
Entirely depends on the tire. Tire's claimed sizes are all over the place when actually measured.

noldevin

Established Member
Definitely too wide. The ideal wheel size for a 285 is 10 inches wide. They work okay on a 9.5. You can squeeze them onto a 9 but it is not at all ideal. I wouldn't try to fit them on anything smaller than a 9.
Drag tires are an exception as you usually don't care much about handling and actually want the sidewalls to flex when you launch.

Users who are viewing this thread