Are Lamborghini Aventadors held by superglue??

TonyUMD

If I hear that again...
Established Member
Lamborghini Aventador Splits in Two After Crashing with a Sedan in New York! [w/Video] - Carscoops)

[youtube_browser]hmTP4xUTqCM[/youtube_browser]

Lamborghini-Crash.jpg

04sonicbeast

Established Member
damn it sure looks like it. being all carbon fiber I'm sure any little crash will shatter the chassis. Although the cockpit should be very strong. Hope the driver survived.

earico

It's 4:20 somewhere...
Established Member
WOW! Holy hell I thought the impact would have been severe to back half the car. Damn I don't know if I would feel safe in that car at triple digit speeds after that video!

bdcardinal

I Spend car money on guns
Established Member
Premium Member
They are held together with glue, just like any other vehicle with a composite monocoque type structure. They had a show showing how they are made on one of the Discovery channels a couple weeks ago. They even showed how they repair damage to the monocoque, really interesting television there.

Wishing4Cobra

Established Member
Maybe cuz it's monday, but, it looked like it clipped the tree as well.

Does look like it hit the tree after the initial impact..

WTF was that driver thinking.. making a left when clearly there's a speeding car coming..

NasteeNate

2V Warrior
Established Member
They are suppose to seperate like that at impact, its a safety feature. All I know is they were both at fault, but that guy can say good bye to 400k. Come to think of it, thats like the bank coming to take your house, oh the agony.

FineLineMtrSprt

I like bacon!
Established Member
They are held together with glue, just like any other vehicle with a composite monocoque type structure. They had a show showing how they are made on one of the Discovery channels a couple weeks ago. They even showed how they repair damage to the monocoque, really interesting television there.

Yeah I saw the same episode lol. But rivets and glue make for a 350k buck super car. But it kinds did what it was supposed to. Instead of keeping all that energy contained and collapsing the cabin it split. Car is done and would make some nice furniture but the driver lived....hopefully.

Coiled03

Established Member
Apparently some people here aren't familiar with what a carbon fiber body does on impact.

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
They are suppose to seperate like that at impact, its a safety feature. All I know is they were both at fault, but that guy can say good bye to 400k. Come to think of it, thats like the bank coming to take your house, oh the agony.

This. The car did exactly what it was engineered to do. The aft section of the car breaks away from the safety cell in the front, dissociating forces to keep them away from the driver.

It's no different from seeing F1 cars purposely break apart during a crash.

In insurance speak, this crash likely has some comparable negligence to deal with. The driver that hit the Aventador did not yield right of way. however the Aventador appears to be traveling at a high rate of speed which may have contributed to creating the crash in the first place.

Even if the insurance companies ruled 50% liability on both ends, that really sucks for the driver of the mazda. Most people don't carry around liability policies large enough to take car of even half that car.

carrrnuttt

My shit don't stink
Established Member

It's not the same show as what you (and I) saw, which is the "How It's Made" series, but here's a similar one from NatGeo:

[youtube_browser]rIhbUCfmNOM[/youtube_browser]

klr16G

Established Member
Really people look at how formula one designs are they break away at the middle and the cockpit is the only thing that's standing looks like that lambo did what it was supposed to do still looks like he was going pretty good speeds.

SoFlaZ06

Established Member
Agreed, it did what it was suppose to do. Driver/passenger is the main concern, which looks like it held up well.

TrevorR90

Banned
Not sure if it matters. The vipers front end is held by some type of glue. Mainly the fenders. Part of the reason why they are totaled for minor front end damage. Part of design.

Users who are viewing this thread