Are Khumo Ecsta ASX Tires Any Better Than Stock?

Cold Brew

Established Member
In terms of traction and treadlife? I am not pullied and dont plan to be anytime soon, so if they hook up just a LITTLE better than the stockers I will be happy. 275's are only like $118 a piece.

Anybody ever use these?

SnakeBit

Mid-Life Crisis my ass!
Established Member
I also had them on my 98. They were cheap and lasted about 18K miles, but they spun like a mofo. And that was on a stock N/A motor.

GodStang

Established Member
Cold Brew said:
Crappier than the stock F1's?

hhhmmmm wow that is a toss up. Thats like asking would you rather be stabbed or shot. I would rather neither.

Cold Brew

Established Member
Reason being is I ran them in the front during winter, and would like to just leave them on there year round. Want to have matching tires. And no, I cant just put those in the back and try them out becasue they are very worn and need to be replaced anyway

SVTCobra53

Established Member
Cold Brew said:
Reason being is I ran them in the front during winter, and would like to just leave them on there year round. Want to have matching tires. And no, I cant just put those in the back and try them out becasue they are very worn and need to be replaced anyway
So then just replace all 4 with a good brand?

$ickZ06

Established Member
Don't cheap out on the tires. They are important. Having a fast car is useless without traction.

Cold Brew

Established Member
SuperchargedSnake said:
Don't cheap out on the tires. They are important. Having a fast car is useless without traction.

Well im not pushing a ton of power so I figured if they were any better than the stockers then why not?

TheFleshRocket

Likes to drive sideways.
Established Member
I have Kumho 712s on my '89 GT. They repeatedly need to be balanced. I'll get them balanced and they'll be nice for a couple thousand miles, maybe, and then they start getting out-of-balance. You know, you can feel a bit of shuddering at certain speeds. Grip is not terribly impressive either. Last week, in ~50F ambient temps, I started passing a car while going uphill in third at about 40mph. I decided that I needed second when I saw oncoming traffic in the distance. I match-rev downshifted and floored it, the back end got squirrely the rest of the way through the pass. These are 275/40ZR17s on a H/C/I/E car with about 290rwhp. I could have probably made the same pass in my ~450rwhp Cobra (with BFG KDs) without spinning.

I had Kumho 711s on my old '88 Fiero GT and my girlfriend's old '98 Sebring. Both of those cars also had tire balance issues as well, although the 711s seemed to be grippier tires than the 712s.

A long time ago, I ran with Kumho Ecsta V700 autocross slicks on my Fiero for daily driver and track use, and those tires were great.

Conclusion? I wouldn't be opposed to buying Kumho competition-oriented tires in the future, but no way in hell will I put street Kumhos on anything, ever again.

Last edited:

suaveflooder

500 hp grocery getter
Established Member
The tires themselves aren't that bad....but like others have mentioned...they don't stick....no point in having tires that spin easily

Silver2003Cobra

US Navy (retired)
Established Member
well, IF I remember right, when I went from the OEM F1s to Kumho Extca Supras they were better and stuck better.. but I was going from bald OEM tires to brand new ones.. now that the Supras are worn out, the OEM F1's definitely were a better tire...

$ickZ06

Established Member
I have never personally used them but my friend has them on his trans am and they hook well. They also look pretty good. They are a street tire so i'd guess that they would last for awhile.

BOOSTER03

Established Member
If not the Kuhmo MX's get the BFG KDW....they are only 30 dollars more per tire and are great in the rain and they stick like a mofo!!!

Cold Brew

Established Member
BOOSTER03 said:
If not the Kuhmo MX's get the BFG KDW....they are only 30 dollars more per tire and are great in the rain and they stick like a mofo!!!

cool thanks ill check it out. Tread life good? I just dont want to have to replace tires every 10K miles. . . I probably drive 20K miles in a year

Users who are viewing this thread