Are injectors hard to install?

01s281

Established Member
I am about to install a vortech charger on my 01 saleen and I want to know if the injectors and fuel pump are hard to put in. Dont really want to pay for it if they are do-able.thanks

ROADWARRIORSVT

Established Member
Injectors are a piece of cake! Unbolt the fuel rails, pull the old injectors out, replace with new injectors. Just make sure to lube the O-rings with something,...anything. Motor oil, KY, etc. Be careful putting the fuel rails back on as to not slice an O-ring. On the fuel pump, just follow the directions, no rocket science involved there either

jdk

No fun til someone dies
Established Member
Injectors are the easiest thing to do next to spark plugs..

The gap you heard of was probably that you need to leave a small gap between the top o-ring and the fitting on the rail. If you push the rail all the way down it may distort the o-ring over time.

Mighty Rooster

Mega Bullitthead
Established Member
Dropping the tank for the fuel pump is a little bit of a chore. Do yourself a favor and drive the car around until you have less than a 1/4 tank. It is much easier to remove once you the weight is out of it. Also, be careful with putting the pump together (I believe it had spacers so the housing would fit) so that you do not bend or distort the arm that floats up and down to give you an accurate reading on your fuel gauge. Also (sorry for all the warnings!) there is a fitting that fits at the end of the filler neck that may drop down inside of the tank when you pull the neck from the rubber grommet on the side of the tank. Just take your time and have a buddy help you with the project so you have an extra set of hands and eyes.

svtruck

Huge Member
Established Member
Mighty Rooster said:
Dropping the tank for the fuel pump is a little bit of a chore. Do yourself a favor and drive the car around until you have less than a 1/4 tank.

Excellent advice! Been there, done that!

c0dy

I...Need...Speed
Established Member
Mighty Rooster said:
Dropping the tank for the fuel pump is a little bit of a chore. Do yourself a favor and drive the car around until you have less than a 1/4 tank. It is much easier to remove once you the weight is out of it. Also, be careful with putting the pump together (I believe it had spacers so the housing would fit) so that you do not bend or distort the arm that floats up and down to give you an accurate reading on your fuel gauge. Also (sorry for all the warnings!) there is a fitting that fits at the end of the filler neck that may drop down inside of the tank when you pull the neck from the rubber grommet on the side of the tank. Just take your time and have a buddy help you with the project so you have an extra set of hands and eyes.
you dont have to mess with the tank to change the injectors though right? (thats a serious question, i just couldnt find where that explanation came from)

svtruck

Huge Member
Established Member
c0dy said:
you dont have to mess with the tank to change the injectors though right? (thats a serious question, i just couldnt find where that explanation came from)

No, of course not...that is referring to installing his new fuel pump.

svtruck

Huge Member
Established Member
SONICSNAKE03 said:
is there any point in putting bigger injectors in if you dont need them?

I think you just answered your own question!

The only reason you would consider using bigger injectors (and a correctly calibrated air meter) is if you are exceeding the limit (or are approaching the limit) of your current injectors ability to deliver enough fuel to maintain a safe air-to-fuel ratio. 03/04 Cobra come stock with 39# injectors.

Users who are viewing this thread