Are big Harleys and cruiser bikes fast?

SL0W5.0

Established Member
Just kinda wondering, I'f a modded coyote could surprise one of those big cruiser bikes from a roll? I kinda have an idea of how fast sport bikes are and what it takes to run one, but just honestly don't have a clue about the bigger Harleys. They seem exponentially heavier than say an r6. And don't sound like they are high revving. Figured someone on here has to ride one or have more knowledge about them.

Roots-type

+displacement
Established Member
I'm 3-0 against harleys and I've also taken down a coworkers gold wing. They're so slow. You'd have no problem with one that's not really hopped up.

slowandold

Established Member
^^^what he said^^^

Seen some fast ones and owned one that was pretty quick for a bagger (105whp) but it was no rocketship...

Ponyracer1

Established Member
I've got a couple, my 80" evo will barely get out of its own way let alone anyone elses. My 96" street bob is quick for what it is. You can swap in a 127" or bigger engine and they are just nasty but otherwise than that I wouldn't worry to much about them.

Blackoyote

Established Member
Haha, yeah, they're definitely slow. The faster ones can barely keep up with bikes like the Ninja 650R and SV650.

b_dike

Established Member
I raced a guy on a Dyna glide I think he said. Wasn't even a race. I could've won without going wot. Lol

Cool guy and all. Chatted for a bit at the stop light. Said he destroyed his nephew's 03 gt all the time, and thought his bike was pretty fast till I raced him. Lol

O.W. Kenobeno

Established Member
This video highlights the bottom end torque of a big V-Twin. It will surprise you:

[video=youtube;jXsoAdh5P5g]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXsoAdh5P5g[/video]

I think the Honda rider also didn't prep right for this race. As mentioned above, stock Harleys (and such) can be easily beaten.

Speedboosted

Established Member
There was a newish Harley (no idea on the model) that was trying to mess with me on the freeway a few months ago. I had never run one before or seen one run at the track so I was kinda nervous. I figured there would be a reason that he wants to run.

We waited for traffic to clear, slowed down to 50, I honked it off. It was over before I even got out of second. Ran to about middle of fourth and he was so far back I thought something happened. We ran again but I gave him the hit the second time, same result...now I just laugh at them and don't waste the gas. I'm sure some could be pretty fast though

Ponyracer1

Established Member
You typically wont get many "races" from them anyway because the owner demographic is generally older and smart enough to know that they aren't riding a slammed busa. If you do get one that wants to play and the engine says S&S on both heads you might want to take them a "little" more serious anyway. A stockish twincam 103 CI is what 80-85 HP? I know my local dealer has dyno days, and has prizes for the "100 hp club". The new big inch strokers can be in excess of 150 hp. The motor also costs $10K ish so you wont see many of them.

Troponin

Established Member
I had a Harley Night Rod lightly modded. Injectors, exhaust, tune etc. Put down 124whp. It was far from the fastest bike on the street, but being a V-Twin with 124whp and a 9k red line, it took a LOT of people by surprise. It would burn off first gear and pull wheelies shifting in to second. Was a very cool bike.

You have to understand though, the V-Rods were actually a Porsche designed engine designed to make big numbers. It was not your typical Harley

KLeech

2V FTW
Established Member
Haven't had a chance to race someone with a V-rod, but I do know an older gentleman with one that I'm going to try and get ahold of beginning of the next spring.

I probably had 6 Harleys try to mess with me this year, although in a small area there aren't to many heavily modded mustangs around so I'm sure they've picked on stock ones with some success. Whatever they were they all got raped. Only one of them was a good sport about it though, he pulled back up beside me with a big grin and said "I didn't expect that, that thing sounds great!" (I gave him the hit and blew past him about 5k rpm's in second with the blower screaming lol

I did have two different younger guys on gsxr600's try me at a stoplight this year. Drag radials and a good launch and they were both a few car lengths behind me by the end of my 3rd gear.

With bikes ALOT of it is beating the rider. Considering OP probably has 250+ more rwhp than me I doubt any big sport bike is going to bother you much lol

BadBlue98GT

Established Member
The riding position is a lot different between a cruiser and a crotch rocket, which makes it difficult for even high horsepower cruisers to really be fast. My Fatboy is stock in the engine department and when you get on it, you can definitely feel physics trying to push you off the back. The high HP/TQ bikes become very prone to popping wheelies...not something I'm interested in on a 700 pound machine with two wheels and no protection surrounding me. That's why all the drag bikes have the super long swingarms and wheelie bars.

evoinit

Established Member
I have a pro charger on my Harley with a forged 110 cu in motor and my buddies gsxr750 can't beat me
So my Harley moves
I have 150 to the tire with 9 lbs
With 15 it's over 200

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
mostly mid 13 to 14 second bikes if theyre lucky, and even worse from a roll due to shit gearing.

I remember waxing these old guys in cars like my GST and 02 GT, let alone anything thats actually fast these days (400+hp).

DGladhill

Established Member
The majority of Harleys aren't mean to be fast, they're called cruisers/touring bikes for a reason. My brother rides a 2012 zx10r though and it's fast :shrug:, me on the other hand, I ride a $1500 Shadow 1100 :banana:

Users who are viewing this thread