Are all 2nd Gens this fast?

USMCracing

Established Member
OK I just got back from Fun Ford Weekend in Phoenix. There about 15 to 20 Lightning's there that were in the low 12s the slowest Lightining there was running low 13s and a best of 13.00. There was few that was in the 11s and one that run a best of 11.14. Most of them looked stock and even looked under the hoods. What does it really take to get this 4700lb truck in the 12s? I read that stock they should be mid 13s. I'm thinking about selling the 96 Cobra for a 01 or 02 Lightning. What some going prices I've seen some good deals on this site and Corral.net. They really impressed me this weekend. There was even two Harleys that was running low 13s. I watched one guy have his brand new nonmoded Harley dyno'd and it made 350rwhp and over 400 rwtq. I also saw a 96/98 GT owner leave the dyno highly pissed, his cr only made 188 rwhp. I guess he thought it was going have more. Thanks for any help. :beer:

lightninmike

skeered to mod it
Established Member
stock they are a mid 13 performer
i put about 1500 into my 2000 L and so far have gone 12.77 with traction problems
have a valve body waiting to install so my shifting will be better
btw this was on street tires

KCinAZ

Established Member
Glad we made such a good impression on you USMCracing! The Arizona Lightning Owners Club was there in force Saturday... with a lot of guys turning ets in the 12.1 - 12.6 range. I was the slowest guy there I think, with my best et of 13.02 (so damn close! lol). Harley Dave turned his best time in his HD F150 running a 12.87 in the big beast. Most of us have pretty minimal mods, Im running a 4#, chip, modded stock airbox, FTVB, Lakewoods, and DR's and I dynoed at 397/493, with about $1300 spent in mods, these trucks respond very well to minimal mods...

Come on by the site and say hello... we should have all the pics up from FFW by next weekend.

http://www.azloc.com

Last edited:

USMCracing

Established Member
Thanks for the input. Which L was yours KC? I have a few pics from FFW Sat. They aren't that great though. Yeah the Lightnings impressed the hell out of me and my Friends. That guy that was running low 11s was freaking bad, I have a pic of him (silver L with stickers all over it) and a white L coming off the line and he is pulling the tires. I only wish it was higher res pic.
Thanks

Steven

chillfactor

2-BADSVTS
Established Member
If you buy a Lightning, just give JDM a call and the rest will be history..................you will go as fast or faster than you would have thought.:D

KCinAZ

Established Member
Dante ran a 11.18 on Saturday that I know of... he said he let off 3 times and I know I saw him tap the brakes at the top end so he wouldnt break out, but he couldnt seem to slow that truck down. He was planning on hooking up the bottle Sunday and really cutting loose with that monster, but I wasnt able to make it out today to see it. Great guy, was nice meeting him and having him pit with us.

USMC mine was the only Dark Shadow Grey Lightning there, hopefully I got a chance to say hello when you were over checking out the trucks...

Last edited:

KCinAZ

Established Member
Yea I guess 4 or 5 AZLOC guys went out to race today too, they said Dante ran a 10.60... that is one badass Lightning! That guy knows his sh*t too, was great talking with him.

KCinAZ

Established Member
Just had to post this pic, was a fun day Ill get that damn 12 next time out...

firebirdsig.jpg

USMCracing

Established Member
KC that is one sweet looking Lightning, I love the DSG Lightnings and Cobras. I played with a DSG L on my way to speedworld once back Aug. we didn't race or anything just a few revs. Sweet color. What was your time at FFW? What mods do you have?

I'll sell my 96 Cobra (see sig for mods) for $13500. I found a 01 L in Pa. for 23k with under 10k miles on it.

KCinAZ

Established Member
Im running a 4#, chip, modded stock airbox, FTVB, Lakewoods, and DR's and I dynoed at 397/493... my best run so far was a 13.02 @ 105.3 with a .186 60' time... still need to work on my driving I guess...

venomous

snapping like a squirrel
Established Member
When you get down here to Pensacola I'll take you for a ride in my modded 01 L. By far the best vehicle I've ever owned. I should be picking up a wrecked 03 cobra this weekend and I will start the driveline transfer into my 94 Cobra. Can you say sleeper hehe

Users who are viewing this thread