Are 7 yr old "new" performance tires worth buying?

Fun4me

Established Member
No! Unless you buy them dirt cheap and use them on a DD.
Half price. For a dd. Why? Does the rubber get less sticky? I know 6 years is industry standart for passenger tires. How old is max for performance driving:burnout:

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Half price. For a dd. Why? Does the rubber get less sticky? I know 6 years is industry standart for passenger tires. How old is max for performance driving:burnout:

I wouldn't...

Dry rot, breaking down, etc etc etc.

Probably safe for a DD, but if you plan to use them for high speed or if you put them under stress; I would choose a different alternative.

BPatterson

Established Member
I made the mistake of buying a set of 4 yr old "new" tires once. I was assured they were stored correctly in a climate controlled warehouse, etc. The sidewall of one of the tires blew out and completely came apart within 3 months. Take it for what it's worth.

Fun4me

Established Member
I made the mistake of buying a set of 4 yr old "new" tires once. I was assured they were stored correctly in a climate controlled warehouse, etc. The sidewall of one of the tires blew out and completely came apart within 3 months. Take it for what it's worth.
What brand/model/size?

seank

Lateral G Lover
Established Member

They will be greasy, hard, and never live up to their original intended performance characteristics. Like I said if you don't intend to use them as performance tires then I guess it would be okay. But if you are not using your car in a performance oriented manner why are you looking at performance tires?

BPatterson

Established Member
What brand/model/size?

Pirelli P Zero Nero M+S 275/40/19

529627_328402283909393_58165264_n.jpg

2011roush

Established Member
I replace my tires on everything I own when they hit 5 years regardless of tread depth. The rubber manufactures association says to remove the tire from service regardless of tread depth.

Edit: at 10 years

Last edited:

Fun4me

Established Member
Where do you guys buy "fresh" tires? Alot of times vendors sell 2-3yr old tires w/o even mentioning anything?

corey d

STOLE IT
Established Member
Thanks peckerwoods, this thread costed me $1200 today....:kaboom: :lol1:

A couple of months ago, i bought some $900 each tires for under $600 for 2. I dont remember seeing when they were made listed on the Ebay add, but i wasnt looking for it at the time. I cant take any chances, so i bought some new ones from tire rack today.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread