are 3.90 gears good??

40thannstang

GOT TORQUE?
Established Member
im thinking about getting 3.90 gears for my 04 mustang gt..... are they any good ? does anybody have these in there stang? how high will my rpm go to at cruising speeds? also i have a hypertech progammer tuner , will that fix my speedometer ??

any help??

wheelhopper

Established Member
The problem with the 3.90's is that they are not made by Ford. I have found that unless the gears are Ford you will get a whinning noise. It happened to me with some 3.73's ( not Ford) and my buddy tried out Richmond 3.90's. They were so bad he switched to Ford 3.73, the whine was gone.

91frppgt

Banned
wheelhopper said:
The problem with the 3.90's is that they are not made by Ford. I have found that unless the gears are Ford you will get a whinning noise. It happened to me with some 3.73's ( not Ford) and my buddy tried out Richmond 3.90's. They were so bad he switched to Ford 3.73, the whine was gone.

the only reason a gear should whine is improper install :rollseyes

i have 3:90's...motive. no whine whatsoever.

91frppgt

Banned
40thannstang said:
how do u like them ???

its a step above 3:73...this is my first set of motive gears, no problems so far.

i normally buy FMS gears. i install all of my gears, and so far so good :-D

depends what your overall goal is...4:10's are nice n/a. i choose the 3:90 because i plan on going forced induction after this non-pi motor goes boom on the bottle :-D

MachME

2V Power
Established Member
You can get motive gears, motive and ford are the only ones ill tocuh, i have motive in mine and have no whine at all.

I actually read something that motive makes fords gears?

y2k2gt

2V PoWereD
Established Member
When I went from stock 3.27 to 3.73. I couldn't even tell the difference. I then switched to 4.30 gears and loved it. If your going to spend the money. Get the gears that will make a big difference.

40thannstang

GOT TORQUE?
Established Member
so do yal recommend getting them ?? or should i just stick with 3.73's ? i drive my car everyday and nite its my only ride.....i am planninng on getting procharged later in the future but for now i wanna go n/a with sum cams and juice :)

MachME

2V Power
Established Member
With any sort of power adder i would stick with 373, thats why i went with em in the first place, for future power adder.

Also it is your only driver.

y2kgt, you couldnt tell a difference? idk how.

430 gear is so much gear for our 2v's, to much i think.

The redline comes so fast right now, 430 woudl be like the blink of an eye.

spike_africa

Established Member
if your going to doa power adder depending on the power adder iw ould still choose 4.10's also if your going to go to a blower later on dont waste money on cams etc... save up for the blower and get it on there. I run a nitrous car and i plan to use 3.90's also. And they should not whine if installed correctly.

mineralgrey01gt

loud-n-slow
Established Member
i know a guy with a vortech on stock size tires with 4.10's only getting 105 at the top of 4th? Kinda crappy if you ask me, 3.73's no doubt

spike_africa

Established Member
with 4.10's you should be able to do 115mph at 6k rpms. With 3.73's its 125mph at 6,200rpms. So there isnt a big difference. If your into drag racing alot more i would highly recomend 4.10 gears.

greenstang1313

back in black
Established Member
my 3.90s dont whine, I'm pretty sure it's all in the install.

my car is 5.0 though, if i had 4.6 i'd definatly go with 4.10s or 4.30s.

Dynotune04

The Turtle
Established Member
if your a 5 speed then w/ any power adder i wouldnt go any higher than 3:73's if your an auto then i would go with 4:10's. traction will suck balls with a power adder and 4:10's. i dunno about 3:90's. i use nitrous, 3:73 combo and in 1st gear with drag radials i would blow the tires off the car no matter what i did. i ended up wiring a microswitch into my car to lock out 1st gear because it was useless

Users who are viewing this thread