AR15 lower receiver vise block?

ksstang

Vortech'd
Established Member
So I'm getting ready to do my first AR15 build from the ground up, starting with a stripped lower. I've reading build threads and see a lot of guys using lower vise blocks to hold the receiver while building. Just wondering if there is any that are better than others? I'm trying to start rounding up tools for the build. Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

Thanks!

Blown 89

Established Member
The Brownell's standard block worked just fine for my build. It didn't fit quite right but I had a nonstandard upper but it worked just fine. That's not to say it's the best or cheapest, just to say that I have one that worked.

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
I used a cheapie magazine well holder and it worked great. Lower assembly is the easier of the two halves to put together. You'll want to invest in a solid upper reciever vice holder if youre assembling your upper. I went with the clamshell holder and it was great for me, some guys like the holder that you install your take down pins on and it mounts to the holder like its the lower.

Bit of advice if this is the first lower youre building. Be very patient with the bolt catch pin. Its not the easiest to get to and can be a pain in the ass if the pin mushrooms or deforms.

ksstang

Vortech'd
Established Member
I've also seen a few people recommending that you use a brass hammer for the build. Is this necessary, or will a small 4-8oz ball pein hammer work?

thundernoodle

Established Member
You can assemble it in hand. Don't really need a vise. They can be nice. Like above mentioned be patient with some of the assembly! Ive never used a hammer?

VaporGT

-
Established Member
I've built somewhere in the vicinity of 10-15 AR lowers. I've never once used a vice. If you were an armorer and doing 10-15 a day I can see spending the money, but aside from that its not necessary.

tnuce10

Established Member
I built my first 2 lowers over Christmas and didn't use a vise. I don't really see the need.

x2 on the bolt catch pin. One of mine gave me some trouble.

cobra_matt

Established Member
You don't need a lower receiver vice block for assembling the lower. If you're assembling the upper from scratch, you'll need an upper receiver vice block.

Blown 89

Established Member
Brownells has a really nice tool set for the pins with flat sides for easier installation. Some billet receivers have threaded pins to bypass pins all together.

Users who are viewing this thread