"Apten's" theory on the TICK:

BLU-BLZ 03SNAKE

Built Up Tension!
Established Member
i just copied this from their site. i requested more info and will post it once they respond.
thanks, jay.

"The Engine Tick
Any 2003 Cobra that was built before December 2002 may develop an engine tick. This will happen regardless of modifications, and is due to cylinder head design. Ford made an error in the head design and placed the exhaust ports too close to the coolant passages on one of the castings. The heat from the exhaust port causes the coolant to heat up in that region of the head. The excess heat causes a valve seal problem and eventually that tick will get worse until it burns through. If the problem is not rectified, it may spread to other cylinders in that head until there is complete loss of compression on that bank. While this isn't something to be too concerned with, if you have a pre-December '02 engine, we would make sure that you have this problem addressed before your warranty expires. Ford has issued a replacement casting for that cylinder head and there is a TSB on it. E-mail us if you would like more information."

BLU-BLZ 03SNAKE

Built Up Tension!
Established Member
Gene Fine from Apten just responded to my email as follows...

There is no official recall, but there is a TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) concerning the 03s that have the engine tick. I would put the car back to stock, mainly because dealerships and SVT have been known to deny service to vehicles that are modded.

Gene Fine

Apten Performance/MD Motorsports

513-554-1777

CobraKindaGuy

Established Member
I have the replacement head and it still developed the same tick and there have been confirmed findings of the ticks in the 2004 Cobra as well....so this cannot be the definitive reason or cause for the tick.

NeedForSpeed

Established Member
true,

And I have the replacment head as well, have had both now ported\polished & vavle job, plus numerous cooling mods.....

I'm gonna be really curious to see if it comes back because I had it real bad before...... real bad.

I've heard of to many people that get the tick again with the new head.

Nicky Pass

...boom goes the dynamite
Established Member
I've yet to hear the "real" tick. My service advisor said alot of people come in for injector noise....but he has done ONE head swap to fix the tick. He said its no something that can be mistaken for injector noise....it doesn't go away....then come back, abd its a loud metallic tick.

BLU-BLZ 03SNAKE

Built Up Tension!
Established Member
Found the actual TSB!...

Ford's fix for the TICK! TSB 03-11-4

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Printable View (7 KB)
Article No.
03-11-4 ENGINE - MUSTANG COBRA - TICK NOISE FROM ENGINE - COBRA VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH ENGINES BUILT BEFORE 11/1/2002 ONLY

Publication Date: May 23, 2003

FORD: 2003 MUSTANG

ISSUE:
Some 2003 Mustang Cobra vehicles with engines built before 11/1/2002 may exhibit an unusual engine tick noise that is present at all temperatures during idle. This noise may be due to valve guide wear in the left bank cylinder head. Guide wear manifests itself as a tick noise which can be heard at the rear of LH head, through LH catalyst, at the LH front wheel well and may not be heard with the hood open.

ACTION:
Use the diagnostic procedures listed in this article to evaluate the vehicle condition and replace the cylinder head if applicable. Refer to the following Service Procedure for details.

SERVICE PROCEDURE
NOTE: THIS REPLACEMENT CYLINDER HEAD WILL NOT IMPROVE OR REDUCE PERFORMANCE.

In order to diagnose noise, the following items must be checked.

Verify noise by placing a stethoscope on the back of the left head near the exhaust ports.
Verify that the noise is heard in the left side exhaust system (left side wheel well or catalytic converter, from underneath the vehicle).
Try to isolate the noise by canceling the cylinders, by unplugging the injectors one at a time (start with #8 cylinder).
Verify that there are no exhaust manifold leaks.
Check to make sure that the camshaft spacers are in place. If not, install cam spacers (per Workshop Manual Section 303-01C) and retest vehicle.
Check for proper cam sprocket bolt torque, retorque to spec listed in the Workshop Manual Section 303-01C.
Check for spongy lash adjusters (refer to Section 303-00 in the corresponding Workshop Manual).
Verify that the timing chain tensioner pin has been removed.
If the above diagnostics does not eliminate the noise while the cylinders are cancelled, and the engine was built prior to 11/1/2002, replace the left side cylinder head and cam assembly with Part Number 3R2Z-6049-GA. Refer to Workshop Manual Section 303-01C for cylinder head replacement procedures.

PART NUMBER PART NAME
3R2Z-6049-GA Cylinder Head And Cam Assembly - Left - Cobra Only

OTHER APPLICABLE ARTICLES:
NONE

WARRANTY STATUS:
INFORMATION ONLY

Last edited:

CobraKindaGuy

Established Member
And what are some people supposed to do if their tick didn't originate until after their warranty expired?

EatonMe

Originally posted by CobraKindaGuy
And what are some people supposed to do if their tick didn't originate until after their warranty expired?

Lube up and bend over, or deal with it.

BLU-BLZ 03SNAKE

Built Up Tension!
Established Member
Another quote from Gene:....

Once you flash your car back to stock, the can not tell that it’s been flashed. As far as the time to fix it, that’s up to the individual dealer. Since the fix has only been around for about a year, there really is no way to know for sure if it’s a permanent fix. Considering that the amount of late 03 and 04 cars that have developed a tick is very slim, and the fix uses the same head casting as the new cars, then I think it’s safe to assume that the fix works. As far as I’m aware, no one has had an engine failure that is directly related to the tick, but a tick is never a good thing, and since Ford is making somewhat of an effort to put it right, then in my opinion it’s well worth it to have the situation taken care of by them.

Gene Fine

Apten Performance/MD Motorsports

513-554-1777

Black2003Cobra

Established Member
I don't know if one can safely say the new head is a sure fix. Ask Uncle Meat. I think he went through 3 heads, if I'm not mistaken. On the other hand, so far my tick has not returned with the revised head.

JKD COBRA

The 6th Deadly Venom
Established Member
I believe its from the pistons and not the heads.
The piston noise is another issue. Some people have piston slap, and there is still a debate on wether or not that is normal or if something needs to be done about it.

Then there is the "tick". Which is another aggrivating issue.

SVTADVISOR

The Cobra Doctor
Established Member
This is getting real old people! Use the search button. Myself and many others have cover this stuff for over a year.

Uncle Meat

Zircon Encrusted Tweezers
Established Member
Originally posted by SVTADVISOR
This is getting real old people! Use the search button. Myself and many others have cover this stuff for over a year.

No kidding... this is a welcome to last year issue! I''ve had my head replaced twice already.

U.M.

BLU-BLZ 03SNAKE

Built Up Tension!
Established Member
Originally posted by SVTADVISOR

well if you've covered it, then surely everyone else has, right? some of us are new and there is more recent info since last year. just dont enter the thred if it bothers you.:bored:

03RedCobra

Established Member
I had the "TICK" verified on my car by the SVT mechanic, and when he called Ford to ask them what to do, they told him to do absolutely NOTHING, because I have plenty of time left on my warranty and that Ford is working on a "Fix" for the problem.

Yeah, right, I wonder how long I'm going to have to wait before they have a "fix" !! My car sounds pretty bad, especially if the engine is warm and has been run a little harder than usual.

Uncle Meat

Zircon Encrusted Tweezers
Established Member
Originally posted by BLU-BLZ 03SNAKE
well if you've covered it, then surely everyone else has, right? some of us are new and there is more recent info since last year. just dont enter the thred if it bothers you.:bored:

Street goes both ways friend. Why don't you use the search button... it'll sort that "recent info" for ya and you won't even have to wait for a reply because the question has already been answered! :thumbsup:

U.M.

BLU-BLZ 03SNAKE

Built Up Tension!
Established Member
Originally posted by Uncle Meat
Street goes both ways friend. Why don't you use the search button... it'll sort that "recent info" for ya and you won't even have to wait for a reply because the question has already been answered! :thumbsup:

U.M.

note taken. only been on here 2 wks and had no idea there was other posts about it. will do a search for topic b/f every thread i post. wasnt waiting on replies, just trying to contribute some info i found.
thanks, jay.

Users who are viewing this thread