Applying/Driving Record Question (LEO Only Please)

bandit_48032

Established Member
I'm in the process of applying to a few different departments right now and I have a question about my driving record.

I have had two moving violations (Michigan)

1st. = 75/25 (Sept. 2004)
2nd. = 40/35 (Aug. 2005)

The first ticket was pure stupidity on my part and I was trying to impress a bunch of sorority girls on the sides of the road my freshman year in College. The officer let me slide without a "Reckless Driving" and only wrote me up as a normal speeding ticket.

The second ticket was just a bunch of crap and I guess the officer was just having a bad day. haha

Other than the two moving violations I have never been in any kind of legal trouble or had any record of anything what so ever. I'm a non-drinker, and have never even experimented with any kind of illegal narcotic.

I'm a third year college student with 49 earned credits. By the time the departments plan on doing their hiring I will have 60+ earned credits. My major is Sociology with a Concentration in Criminal Justice and my minor is Psychology. I also work part time at a Juvenile Detention Facility.

Is it even worth my time applying for a job as a police officer? Should I give up my hopes and dreams or do I still stand some chance at having a career in Law Enforcement?

I'm living in Michigan right now but applying to departments out of state. Law Enforcement jobs in the state of Michigan are close to none right now. Even if people are getting jobs they're mostly part-time. The departments that I'm applying for are also hiring in mass-quantity and run their own police academy. Most of which don't take lateral transfers. So I'll have to go through their academy regardless, which is a good thing without having the academy under my belt yet.

Please give me some feedback.....feeling kind of in the dumps today so some positive encouragement would be great.

jurob

Established Member
go to the websites of the dept you are applying for and they will usually state automatic disqualifiers.

we are hiring...
vbgov.com

COBRA90GT

The Joe is rockin'
Established Member
Those two civil infractions aren't a huge deal. The first one is almost comical - it would probably get a chuckle out of the interview panel, as long as you are sincere about it when you explain it to the panel. LOL

Five4Rider

Enjoy The View
Established Member
COBRA90GT said:
The first one is almost comical - it would probably get a chuckle out of the interview panel, as long as you are sincere about it when you explain it to the panel. LOL
I know it made me laugh. :D I remember how tempting it was to show off for girls when I was a teenager.

OhOneSnake

Let it melt......
Established Member
When I was in the Marines in California, I racked up more tickets than I can count on two hands, all speeding, and most all over 80mph. Some I got just before deployment, and had my license suspended for a brief period for failure to appear. I've had speeding tickets in 7 different states.

All that, and I still got a Federal LEO job. Don't worry about two tickets. Most agencies I know of only care if your license is valid.

bandit_48032

Established Member
OhOneSnake said:
When I was in the Marines in California, I racked up more tickets than I can count on two hands, all speeding, and most all over 80mph. Some I got just before deployment, and had my license suspended for a brief period for failure to appear. I've had speeding tickets in 7 different states.

All that, and I still got a Federal LEO job. Don't worry about two tickets. Most agencies I know of only care if your license is valid.

This is good news to my ears, thanks for the info! :thumbsup:

SnakeEyes03

MTC
Established Member
Well Bandit I'll tell ya. I've been w/ the Fed's for 5 years and Local for 2 years now. I'll be honest and say that it really depends on the police department. I've seen guys get turned down for the most stupid reasons. But, on the other hand if seen guys get hired w/ possession charges.

I agree w/ Cobra, as long as you are honest and say you were stupid...I don't think you'll have an issue. Just make sure you keep your nose clean up until you go for your interview.

I hope that helps a little....good luck

bandit_48032

Established Member
SnakeEyes03 said:
Well Bandit I'll tell ya. I've been w/ the Fed's for 5 years and Local for 2 years now. I'll be honest and say that it really depends on the police department. I've seen guys get turned down for the most stupid reasons. But, on the other hand if seen guys get hired w/ possession charges.

I agree w/ Cobra, as long as you are honest and say you were stupid...I don't think you'll have an issue. Just make sure you keep your nose clean up until you go for your interview.

I hope that helps a little....good luck

Thanks for the reply! I have always kept my nose clean besides those two damn tickets so I'm sure a lot of the departments will hopefully look past that. Thanks again

Users who are viewing this thread