Application For Temecula PD

Buckachow

KACHOW
Established Member
I am in the process of applying for the Temecula PD. Any suggestions to stand out above everyone else?

Im1livewire

Established Member
I am in the process of applying for the Temecula PD. Any suggestions to stand out above everyone else?

:shrug:

You haven't given us much to work with here... Age, Education level, degrees, certificates, Military experience, commendations, driver history, work experience, ride alongs (& what PD's and/or State law enforcement entities), long term & short term goals upon making it, social organizations, foreign languages, life experiences ideal to working in Temecula (i.e. knowledge of the community, Spanish speaker--always a plus for SoCal LEO)....And the list goes on & on... It's what you bring to the table. Have you taken the written & physical agility tests, yet? If not, then this is just a waste of time for seasoned cops to answer. You gotta get through the initial steps first...

Why Temecula? Take whatever you're thinking on that question and bundle it into a response that will grab the Lt. during the interview. Of course, you've got to get through the preliminary stages first. Hope your in shape I strongly suggest not limiting yourself to just one agency. I got on with San Diego PD after, and only after, I was accepted by another PD. Recruiters on San Diego PD weren't that motivated at the time. Rumor, which turned out to be true, was get an offer from any legit PD and San Diego would swoop in and grab you. Might be same there. Also, Temecula has a TON of LEOs living there. Shouldn't be hard to bump into one or two and ask questions. There are definitely "tricks" to getting hired. Gotta want it more than the next guy/gal, but not come across as desperate, a holster sniffer, or cocky. They can sniff out guys who are dying to be "billy bad a__" with a gun & badge and will steer clear.

With what little I've seen, I'm guessing this was just a feeler...? Good luck and let us know what stage of recruitment you're in so we can step up and give a little more insight, if warranted.

cbj5259

Established Member
When they ask you why do you want to be a cop, don't respond "to help people". That is the biggest BS answer in the history of answers. I've sat on almost a dozen oral boards and everyone that says that I give a big fat zero to. Sure...we all want to help people, but that's not the reason some 20 year old guy/gal wants to be a cop. Don't blow smoke up their asses. Be honest. Say stuff like you want to have the ability to make a difference in your community or you don't have the type of personality for a desk job or you love challenging work...anything but "I want to help people".

Sent from my sharona

badws6ta

God hates us all
Established Member
Be honest and professional. Act confident in your oral board, but try not to come off as cocky. You're supposed to be nervous so don't worry too much. If you have a lot of tickets or a misdemeanor record own up to it and tell the truth about what happened, say you ****ed up and learned from it. Don't try to make excuses for yourself. And don't go in jeans and a t shirt, we had 2 applicants recently that didn't get considered because they dressed like shit so it didn't appear that they were taking things seriously. Both good looking on paper but presented themselves like crap.

wesessiah

Established Member
all of the above is good advice. i'd like to add, just know yourself. every interview i went on i was asked something similar to "what is your weak point" or "what could you stand to improve on the most." the first time i was asked that i froze up for several seconds. i always liked the looks i got from the panels, when my answer to "have you ever smoked marijuana?" was "no."

badws6ta

God hates us all
Established Member
all of the above is good advice. i'd like to add, just know yourself. every interview i went on i was asked something similar to "what is your weak point" or "what could you stand to improve on the most." the first time i was asked that i froze up for several seconds. i always liked the looks i got from the panels, when my answer to "have you ever smoked marijuana?" was "no."

No one ever beleives me when I tell them I never smoked it.

wesessiah

Established Member
No one ever beleives me when I tell them I never smoked it.

same here, lol. one panel interview i went to was an assistant chief, sergeant, city attorney, and psychologist. each of them would ask one question while the other three would look down and not make eye contact with you. the question came up, and when i answered they all looked up and looked at me for about 15-20 seconds in silence. "the lie detector test is next right?" :-D after a while everyone starts believing me after they realize how straightlaced i am (don't even speed unless there's an urgent, or emergency call) but like you, nobody wants to believe it at first.

a couple more tips for the thread starter... posture and how you hold yourself (goes along with confidence badws6ta mentioned.) another odd one that could come up, i know an officer that was turned down by the nc highway patrol because they said he swallowed too much in his interview... so try to make yourself aware beforehand of any nervous ticks you may have.

Last edited:

badws6ta

God hates us all
Established Member
same here, lol. one panel interview i went to was an assistant chief, sergeant, city attorney, and psychologist. each of them would ask one question while the other three would look down and not make eye contact with you. the question came up, and when i answered they all looked up and looked at me for about 15-20 seconds in silence. "the lie detector test is next right?" :-D after a while everyone starts believing me after they realize how straightlaced i am (don't even speed unless there's an urgent, or emergency call) but like you, nobody wants to believe it at first.

a couple more tips for the thread starter... posture and how you hold yourself (goes along with confidence badws6ta mentioned.) another odd one that could come up, i know an officer that was turned down by the nc highway patrol because they said he swallowed too much in his interview... so try to make yourself aware beforehand of any nervous ticks you may have.
I never liked the smell of it. Didn't drink much either till I was 21 The polygraph examiner went back to it I think like 5-6 times, couldn't beleive I never tried it.

stay away from Selleck Auto Sales.
Great flick

Users who are viewing this thread