Apple's iOS 4.0 software update, anybody done it to their 3GS yet?

tj04cobra

Established Member
The new software update was released yesterday and I was wondering if anybody has tried it yet. I stumbled upon the news while paying my bill and looking for a new cover at the AT&T store yesterday. So no I am not one of those who refreshed iTunes all day yesterday checking for the update to come thru. I did however decide to update it just to see what it was about. Was it a bad idea because it just came out? I don't know anything about it except that my biggest complaint of not being able to read a text while keeping pandora running. That is the only downloaded app I use so I'm happy now. I never knew how to fully use the phone before, I just text, surf svtp, listen to pandora and make calls so any tips would be awesome on some cool features I may be missing out on because I'm no fanboi lol. I know very little about these phones.

One thing I don't get is how my camera can now zoom because it couldn't before. And why can't you multitask on the 3G model with the update?

DriftwoodSVT

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Established Member
I updated my 3GS late last night. Had to update I-Tunes, reboot then it installed the new 4.0 O/S. Seems to be working fine. The multitasking is a nice change.

F1reStart3r

Flubolaids
Established Member
One thing I don't get is how my camera can now zoom because it couldn't before. And why can't you multitask on the 3G model with the update?

It's probably digital zoom. It doesn't actually require a zoom lens and is done by software focus and cropping. The quality isn't as good, but who cares!

sunburned

I miss my torque
Established Member
The new software update was released yesterday and I was wondering if anybody has tried it yet. I stumbled upon the news while paying my bill and looking for a new cover at the AT&T store yesterday. So no I am not one of those who refreshed iTunes all day yesterday checking for the update to come thru. I did however decide to update it just to see what it was about. Was it a bad idea because it just came out? I don't know anything about it except that my biggest complaint of not being able to read a text while keeping pandora running. That is the only downloaded app I use so I'm happy now. I never knew how to fully use the phone before, I just text, surf svtp, listen to pandora and make calls so any tips would be awesome on some cool features I may be missing out on because I'm no fanboi lol. I know very little about these phones.

I updated my 3GS late last night. Had to update I-Tunes, reboot then it installed the new 4.0 O/S. Seems to be working fine. The multitasking is a nice change.

So before when the iphone didn't have multitasking, everyone said it wasn't an important feature and not having it didn't make the phone any worse than Android/WebOS/BB. Now that apple offers it, every iphone owner will be saying how awesome it is and how the phone is 10x better now that you have it.

Couldn't listen to Pandora and check a txt at the same time? That's pretty bad. Camera didn't zoom? Guess Apple still can't add a camera flash with a software update...

DriftwoodSVT

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Established Member
So before when the iphone didn't have multitasking, everyone said it wasn't an important feature and not having it didn't make the phone any worse than Android/WebOS/BB. Now that apple offers it, every iphone owner will be saying how awesome it is and how the phone is 10x better now that you have it.

Couldn't listen to Pandora and check a txt at the same time? That's pretty bad. Camera didn't zoom? Guess Apple still can't add a camera flash with a software update...

It wasn't an important feature, at least to me. And it's not like I said "Wow this is the best phone evar!" What's your point? It's a nice upgrade, big deal. I would have been fine without it. You sound like a sour puss. :whine::whine::whine:

5spd07gt

BaggedCobra
Established Member
Did anyone's contact information get deleted after the update?

tj04cobra

Established Member

That is pretty bad. It was my biggest complaint. I've mentioned in other threads that I am no fanboi and don't worship this phone. All the others out there, I've never seen nor messed with so I can't make a comparison. But now that my biggest complaint for what I use is cured, this phone now does everything I want it to.

Did anyone's contact information get deleted after the update?

Mine didn't. :shrug:

stangin99

Established Member

From what I've read, it's a hardware limitation. Apple requires a certain processor speed and ram size to do "multitasking".

5spd07gt

BaggedCobra
Established Member
Nope. None of our Iphones on our IT staff had any sort of problems with the upgrade.

ok, because my friend lost all her contacts. i will be doing mine tonite, its just a 3g though. Going to pick up the new iphone when the rush dies off.

tj04cobra

Established Member
From what I've read, it's a hardware limitation. Apple requires a certain processor speed and ram size to do "multitasking".

Thanks for the reply, now that I think of it I've read the same.

ok, because my friend lost all her contacts. i will be doing mine tonite, its just a 3g though. Going to pick up the new iphone when the rush dies off.

I'll pick it up when I'm due for an upgrade next April, hopefully the price will have dropped by then. The guy at AT&T said I was more than welcome to pay the $599 retail for a 16g model since I'm not due for an upgrade yet :lol:. No thanks, I'll wait. I'm happy with what I got now.

Carbd86GT

You're Gator Bait
Established Member
I got iTunes 9.2 and iOS 4.0 a couple weeks ago (release version), been working great. I like all the little touches they have made, like how all the icons enter/exit the screen when you enter/exit apps. Multitasking is nice, being able to have a different home screen back round and lock screen back round.

I really want the new phone, but for some reason they won't offer me upgrade pricing. I got the 3GS 3 days after it's release and they're telling me I have to wait till 03/2011, LAME.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
Ill be upgrading to 4g OS when i get back from vegas.

Not because of multitasking (which you cant do on a 3" screen, just because you have multiple things running doesnt mean you are multitasking, just means your phone is), but because 4g os looks much better.

JD03Cobra

Who's your Daddy!
Established Member
I upgraded my 3g last night...Worked fine. I sync my contacts up to MS Outlook so they are safe there. But the upgrade went fine. I'm fairly pleased with the changes. Im giving the phone to my wife since my iphone 4 comes tomorrow.

Some tips on the new OS.
The Hidden Secrets of iPhone OS 4

ff500

Established Member
I've been trying to update mine but its too freakin slow.

Any idea on what my phone will be worth if I upgrade to the 4 ? I've got the 3g 16Gb, I may try and sell it.

Users who are viewing this thread