AOD to 5 speed swap

snake bite 03

hey fellas just picked up a 89gt with a AOD for a 1,000 bucks has a big dent in the rear 1/4 but for a 1,000 bucks i couldnt pass it up but its an AOD and that dont fly with me so i want to swap in a 5speed whats the cheapst way to go about doing this.

Boomer182

Haveyoutriedhittingher?
Established Member
junk yard, craigslist, or trade some stupid person.

truebluedevil02

Captain Jackstands
Established Member
keep looking, the swap is easy and only took me an afternoon/evening. If you dont want to wait till you find the parts used then new is your only option but it can be pricey, good luck.

Westsidecobra4

Established Member
Transmission Swap

Hey I saw your post about swapping an AOD to a T-5. I have a 90 GT with a brand new T-5 in the box from Ford and would like to put it in my GT. I was wondering if you knew if there is a kit for this. I didn't know if the driveshaft was any shorter with a five speed, if there was a pedal assembly kit, etc. Basically I don't know what I need other than the new transmission, flex plate, shifter and pedal assembly. Any information would be great. Thanks.

snake bite 03

i found a mustang scrap yard in CT that wants 1,200 for every single nut bolt and part to do the swap. From what i have seen on the net all you need is the trans, shifter, clutch, Press plate and TOB, clutch cable and adjuster, bell housing, pedals, flex plate and a speedo gear. You have to notch out the AOD cross member and the AOD D/S will work. As far as there being a kit all i have seen is the complete kit which comes with the trans ect, you can get the small stuff on ebay or craigslist if i missed anything im sure some 1 will fill it in.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread