Anyway to fix broken side clip on front bumper cover

TeddyKGB

Drunk on Power
Established Member
So I am not sure how it orginally happened but I have cracked the mounting clip of the bumper cover on the passenger side. You know the small molded tab that has the 2 bolts which attach in front of the wheel well?

Well that has cracked off and now my bumper cover sticks out about an inch on the side. I attempted to repair it by removing the bumper cover and using some epoxy glue to reattach it to the cover. It worked and held just fine but it came apart again when the car was being put onto a lift. (I kinda knew my first fix wouldn't last, too weak) :bash:

I really dont want to drop 600+ on a new bumper cover & paint but also cant ride around with it broken.

Has anyone had this issue before and figured out a secure way to fix

zaxjax

The Detailed Image
Established Member
JB Weld fixes everything, so does duct tape and Gorilla Glue. These are staples of any good body guy.

TeddyKGB

Drunk on Power
Established Member
Thanks J. I actually have JB Weld that I bought with the epoxy glue but got the epoxy to hold. I couldnt use Gorilla Glue because it can't be clamped, but that stuff is great.

I might try the JB Weld today but I am not certain if it will hold since that area is so weak. Its worth a shot.

zaxjax

The Detailed Image
Established Member
Did you get the pre-mixed epoxy or the kind you mix yourself? Epoxy is done right or mixed right is some strong stuff.

TeddyKGB

Drunk on Power
Established Member
Pre-mix....sorta. As you push the epoxy out of the syringe it automatically mixes the compounds together. I dont think it is the epoxy that let go but rather the area is so thin & small it cant take any amount of pressure.

I need to take the bumper cover off again today and get a look at exactly where it cracked. I'll try to post up pics as it is hard to describe.

NeverFastEngh

Established Member
DONT USE JB WELD!!!!!!!!!!!! It wont flex enough and will crack. The only real way to fix is with duramix 3550 (think thats the #) or the SEM equivalent. They are made specifically for urethane bumper repair.

TRBO VNM

edison,

can we get that in small quantity or is it a large amount only?

Jeremy, if it is a larger amount, I will split it with you. I need to repair mine as well from the previous owner f-up

TeddyKGB

Drunk on Power
Established Member
DONT USE JB WELD!!!!!!!!!!!! It wont flex enough and will crack. The only real way to fix is with duramix 3550 (think thats the #) or the SEM equivalent. They are made specifically for urethane bumper repair.

Well darn...too late. I already went the with JB Weld Kwik Set and some Gorilla Tape. It had more flex than the prior epoxy I used. If it cracks again I may have to try the Duramix.

Pic to follow.

edison,

can we get that in small quantity or is it a large amount only?

Jeremy, if it is a larger amount, I will split it with you. I need to repair mine as well from the previous owner f-up

I just fixed mine today but if it cracks again I'll split it with you if need be.

NeverFastEngh

Established Member
It comes in 6oz tubes. And the mixing tip when dried acts as a cap, to use it again you unscrew and put a new tip on. We use it on allot of urethane parts and its great. Duramix makes a glue to bond any two products you can think of together. Wood/metal, metal/fiberglass, metall/wood, and so on. Great products to use. We use mainly the general adhesive, the urethane bumper one, and the fiberglass one.

TeddyKGB

Drunk on Power
Established Member
This took me about 3 hours in total with drying time.

Before
001lmn.jpg

002fuz.jpg

With the JB Weld...(I know I aint exactly Picasso)
004b.jpg

Put some Gorilla Tape on the front and back of the tab once the JB Weld was dry
005ssl.jpg

I notice some stress on the drivers side as well so I threw a strip of Gorilla Tape on it for some support
006kwg.jpg

After
007jatoou.jpg

008gbw.jpg

FNsweetS3

Crazy Gun Bunny!!!
Established Member
good stuff... just did the same repair on my car Friday night. Tried to rip my bumper off backing into a spot at Carlisle..... JB weld... worked like a charm :)

Roushbabe

It's Mine :)
Established Member
I'm pretty sure that you can buy those brackets directly from Ford and they are only around $50 bucks for both. I had to do that for my Roush and I only used it for my passenger side bracket. I have the one for the driver side just sitting in my garage. I'll show pics later of the actually piece.

sunburned

I miss my torque
Established Member
I'm pretty sure that you can buy those brackets directly from Ford and they are only around $50 bucks for both. I had to do that for my Roush and I only used it for my passenger side bracket. I have the one for the driver side just sitting in my garage. I'll show pics later of the actually piece.

I think he's saying the flap on the actual bumper cover that the bracket attaches to ripped off. He just left the small tabs riveted to the bracket when he JB Welded it back together.

Nice repair, hope it holds. Those bracket things are a PITA and rivets on urethane seems pretty retarded to me.

Users who are viewing this thread