Anything I missed for a generic tune?

scottg

it's good to be blown
Established Member
So I finished my vortech install on my 96 cobra. I'm buying a sct xcal3 from the speed shop and having them send me a generic tune so I can start the car and drive it up there to them for a dyno tune. They know my injectors, fuel pump, maf size, blower, and exhaust setup. Is there anything else I should let them know before they send it to me? The tuner won't be in until monday so I have a few more days to figure anything out. I told them I thought most guys ran 13 degrees of timing. Is that right? Anything else they need to know to supply me with a good enough tune to drive it 75 miles?

01yellercobra

Established Member
If they're any good they should ask you for all the info that's needed. If you have cams make sure to tell them. The timing depends on the set up and type of fuel used. I was at 14 degrees on 91 at 14psi.

encasedmetal

WHINO!
Established Member
75 miles? that tuner better be a badass to get it close enough for you to drive that far. I would trailer for sure. here's why:
1. your tune will not be good enough to drive that far IMO without going through a tank of gas or so lean you **** something up.
2. if you dyno and something breaks you can trailer the car back home as opposed to being stuck.
3. your stress level will be decreased greatly by trailering the car and not driving it.

01yellercobra

Established Member
Depends on the tuner and the restraint of the owner IMO. I've known a couple guys that had start up tunes from RET emailed to them and then drove up to get the tune finished.

scottg

it's good to be blown
Established Member
Well the reason I was considering this route is that multiple guys down here have done it this way. Just have to stay out of the boost.

Users who are viewing this thread