Anyones warranty been voided due to mods?

Vetteater

Established Member
I want to know if I am the only one that owns a brand new Lightning that had a warranty voided due to untraceable mods. Let me give a brief explanation.
I have 01 Lightning w/ 26k miles and I had a 3LB pulley Bassani ex. KN cone filter and a chip.

I was doing some street racing one night and I experienced a glitch between shifts...I don't know why. Anyhow, after this costly event the #4 rod flew out of the #8 cyl. wall. After pulling everything off(except exhaust and filter) I took it in and without them even looking extensively at my truck, they voided my warranty. Now, if they could have proved that I had done something outside of what was obviously modified, I would not have had a problem...BUT, they didn't even pull a valve cover or even the intake tube. They tried to tell me I had Nitrous on it. When I said that was not the case they said it was too bad and there was nothing I could do or say, my warranty was void. To top it all off I have been "Black Flagged" and now I can't go anywhere to get anything done to my vehicle.

This happened back in February. I am now having to pay a performance shop out of my pocket on top off my monthly payment and insurance to FIX my brand new truck.

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
Are you kidding me??

Why are you taking that?

Call SVT, then call Ford HQ in MI, then call the Attorney General of TN, then call the Dept of consumer affairs, then file a special civil part law suit against the dealership that caused this situation.

You have many many costfree options before paying for any of this yourself.

The dealership just looked at the truck and declared you must of had Nitrous on it and said we are filing to void your warranty? That is B.S., they have no proof and they will be very liable for your losses.

You need to see an attorney, but in the meanwhile use all the costfree options at your fingertips to make their existence no fun. They have done it to you.

BTW, did you have a chip in there?

Hulk

Vetteater

Established Member
Thanks for the great word of confidence, I will look into those options immediately.
To answer your question, Yes I had a chip in it, but when I removed it I put the lithium grease that is coated on the terminals to begin with back on. Everything except for the exhaust was in an "untouched state", so they couldn't say i had one. When I asked the service manager to give me a statement in writing as to why my warranty was being voided, he looked at me and said he wasn't capable of doing so. I tried going to the Arbitration committee, which by the way is appointed by Ford, and they wouldn't see my case. I tried contacting a lawyer, 5 to be exact, and not one wanted to take the case.

i will try the other options you just mentioned. i really appreciate your help and any that others can give.

As for SVT, they didn't say sorry or nothing. They just said that the decision was made on the facts that the dealership had presented to them. Hell, I even offered to pay the labor and shipping out of my pocket to have them tear it down. It still didn't matter.:shrug:

FordSVTFan

Established Member
Good luck, but once again I would file a special civil part law suit against the dealership as they cause you to be black listed and they created a "loss" for you by voiding your warranty without any information or evidence. I say send them a wake up call.

Start writing letters and copying them to everyone with an address, including Bill Ford, MM&FF, your state Senators and Congressmen, Attorney General, etc. In the letter address the fact that the dealer wouldnt even give you a statement of why they were trying to void your warranty. Also if you have an investigative TV news reporter for one of the major stations call them and see if they will investigate.

Hulk

easterisland

Established Member
Good luck. My warranty was voided without proof that the chip was at fault. I lost the the #4 rod at about 130mph. No detonation. I now have a built engine and even reused the heads which were on the truck when it blew.

There were no mods on the truck when it was towed to the dealer except for a Borla cat-back and hole in factory air box. The truck was towed to the dealer where it blew up, on the side of the freeway...

With the # of '01's that have blown up something has to be wrong. Maybe it is just the mass air voltage thing, maybe it is bad rods...

Last edited:

J15BIG

Established Member
My warranty was voided because I had a chip. The only mods on the truck when I brought it in were a filter kit and exhaust. I waited about a week to bring the truck in so I had time to take all the mods off. During that time I had a friend put that coating over the contacts in the computer so it looked like there was never a chip. I brought the truck in, and the next day I got a call. They said they were going to replace my engine and that it would take about 2 weeks. I was relieved that my preperations worked. Well, the day after that I got another call saying they were not going to replace the engine because they found evidence of a chip. I went in to talk to the guy and find out exactly what "evidence" they found. They said they had read my posts on internet forums about me having a chip and thaty they could have them printed out if id like...I couldnt argue with them. They knew it was me because I has my last name and build number in my sig. You may be ok because you dont have your name or build number posted, but just to warn you Ford reads these boards and will use the info posted to void your warranty

FordSVTFan

Established Member
Joe,

Are you kidding me? They had no physical proof of your chip, but because you posted on an internet site that was proof enough for them to void your warranty? Come on, that would never even make it into court. You admitting it, is proof though. You should have just denied it and said, "It is the internet, nothing is real there." Sorry, but I have no chip.

Good Luck

Hulk

lightninmike

skeered to mod it
Established Member
well guys i have been keeping an eye on this post to see how you have made out with this issue :read: i must say this does not look promising as for me i have no mods done to my truck as of yet(been trying to get the mustang to run in the 12's) and i was thinking of a chip (among other things i.e. pullies) but now it doesnt look like a good idea.Is this only happening with a specifc year truck or could this happen to any of them? or is this just a few and far between thing? cant exactly blow up my truck and afford to put a motor in it at this point in time (though if i could i think a blown cobra R motor would be a nice addition) any info to put up here would be great guys. thanks :beer:

FordSVTFan

Established Member
The only engines I know of personally that have blown were do to using a chip with a too aggressive program that leaned them out. Remember if you run too lean or lean for too long you will blow your motor.

Hulk

Spritle

Anti-EV
Established Member
Re: chips

Originally posted by svt4rd
If there are any concerns just buy another pcm and install the chip on it. If you ever have to take it back in for warranty just swap the pcm back out and reprogram the keys

How do you reprogram the keys?

blownsvtlightning

Established Member
I forgot to mention there is a article floating out there call the magnusion-Mossey act (sp) or something of that nature passed by the fed government stating what a person can or cannot do to his/her vehicle and still be covered under warranty. Might be worth looking into

J15BIG

Established Member
Originally posted by FordSVTFan
Joe,

Are you kidding me? They had no physical proof of your chip, but because you posted on an internet site that was proof enough for them to void your warranty? Come on, that would never even make it into court. You admitting it, is proof though. You should have just denied it and said, "It is the internet, nothing is real there." Sorry, but I have no chip.

Good Luck

Hulk

Im sure I could have brought them to court. But I didnt really want to take the time and give up the money. I went through a whole big deal when it happened and I think it came out for the best. I just think of it this way: If this wouldnt of happened or if Ford would have honored my warranty, then I wouldnt be getting my "built" engine, monster box, and whipple blower. So like I said, it all worked out for the best:lol:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread