Anyone work for the railroad?

OU812

Established Member
I recently separated from the Air Force and had a job lined up but it's looking like it's going to fall through. I'm already looking at other jobs and thought about applying to be a conductor, it's something that I've always been interested in. I've worked on planes for the last 13 years and I really want to do something different.

Anyone here have any experience on the railroad? Pros/Cons? I've read that it's a tough life but after being aircraft maintenance for as long as I have, I like to think I can handle just about anything.

black92

Hot rod Lincoln
Established Member
I have a neighbor who is a conductor and besides being called in to work at odd hours, it seems to pay well and he likes it.

houstonsnakes

Established Member
I work for Union Pacific. Its okay and can always be better, like being home with the fam!! check railroadjobs.com has really good info!

trc46

Layer of Pipe
Established Member
If no wife and kids it's an awesome career. Also bnsf>union Pacific.

Jcobra03

import reaper
Established Member
I worked for Norfolk southern for about fives years I liked doing the job and the people I worked with, but the hours and work schedule blew . I am much happier with a set schedule job.Also by the time you added up being away from home sitting in a hotel waiting on a return train it was like you were making minimum wage lol.

OU812

Established Member
It's just an idea I was kicking around, I'm used to always being gone so that's nothing new but I kind of would like to have a somewhat set schedule. I need to figure something out soon though, my terminal leave is almost up. I'm so burnt out on school that right now that's not even an option.

Users who are viewing this thread