Anyone Work For an Aftermarket Tuning Company?

03snakenvtn

Established Member
I've been toying with the idea of trying to get a job with an aftermarket tuning company, but wanted to know what everyone's experience has been with this type of thing. The type of companies I'd be looking at would be places like Modular Powerhouse (when they existed and Tim was there), Steeda, Shelby, and the like. Are these places impossible to get into? I've worked several jobs in my life, and always end up dreaming about cars every second of the day, so why not be around them all day every day? I currently work at a Mercedes dealer, so I get to drive tons of really high-end cars all day, and that's great, I just don't wanna sell them or be stuck in finance the rest of my life. Any thoughts/personal experiences?

07COBRAVENOM

R.I.P. Hissssss
Established Member
Not trying to be a ass so dont take it that way, but have you thought about actually directing the question towards some of our site vendors for their imput?

GodStang

Established Member
Every tuning company I have ever dealt with was either all family business or had a racing career. If you want to start tuning go to the classes to learn and either find a shop that has a dyno and no tuner and try and work a deal or open your own shop. Most shops do not last long so you have to be good.

sunburned

I miss my torque
Established Member
From what I've seen, most shops that are hiring either want someone that is very experienced (tuning, machining, fabrication, CAD/CAM) or will take in people to start at the very bottom.

I've always wanted to work for a top notch aftermarket shop or company, but I don't quite have the exact skills they need. Of course I'm willing to learn, but I don't really want to take a hit from my govt engineer salary to start from the bottom as a shop tech.

mysteed

Established Member
I worked at MPH before they moved to Chicago and I will say that was the BEST job that I ever had. If you really have a passion for the cars and have the knowledge to get in the door it'll be a rewarding experience.

HYBRED

That Just Happened
Established Member
I looked into interning with Roush, you had to be a mechanical or automotive engineering student with experience in chassis/suspension. It's tough to get into places like that because it is a dream job, and you will have stiff competition. Go to some of the sites and browse their career options for requirements.

coposrv

Established Member
Every tuning company I have ever dealt with was either all family business or had a racing career. If you want to start tuning go to the classes to learn and either find a shop that has a dyno and no tuner and try and work a deal or open your own shop. Most shops do not last long so you have to be good.

My former employer had a street outlaw car built by briante around 99-00. The youngest son learned all the tuning and got good at it working with john meaney. Opened a tuning shop 3 years ago and I think it lasted about a year and a half.

Derek@Amazon

RTCTTFMF!!!
Established Member
nope dont work for a tuner....

ohh wait...

yea ive been working for rick@amazon for about 7 years now. i started out just helping him around the shop from installs to strapping cars to the dyno. he moved the shop to south carolina and i stayed in maryland. stayed on with him to do online tech stuff... and currently working towards opening a 2nd shop up here part time to expand the customer base

mysteed

Established Member
I don't speak for everyone but I know that personally it wasn't about how much money I made. The experience I gained from working at a shop and just doing what I love to do day in and day out made up more than enough for any possibly shortfall in the salary (which wasn't shabby in the least).

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
What kind of salaries does this type of job pay? Can't be that much right?

Nope.

But if you love cars and modding/tuning/fabricating/etc the pay is in the work itself not the $$$ you get from it.

Now if you're a successful shop owner its a bit different.

IMO the smartest thing to do is to have a shop that does consistent business (smog shop, oil changes, etc) and then have the modding/tuning shop on the side. Almost always the tuning shop wont make profit, but you can supplement that by the profit from the successful shop if say, you wanted to be in the mod shop more and have the other shop setup to run itself with the proper people in place.

Users who are viewing this thread