Anyone work 3rd shift

ff500

Established Member
Just wondering if anyone works or has worked the 3rd shift ( 11pm to 7am). I may have an opportunity to do a 4 year job and was wondering how difficult it is to adjust and how it affects your daily life.

61mmstang94

Established Member
11pm-7am probably wouldn't be terribly bad.

It's obviously not a 7am-3pm, but I feel like you'd still be able to do some things in the late afternoon and early evening to retain a sense of normality and spend a few hours with friends or if you have a family before work (get early dinner with someone, pick up kids from school, etc.)

I think a 3-11 might be the worse. Because the only time you'd be awake is when other people are working or sleeping.

Not sure if any of that makes sense, though.

I don't like abnormal schedules for work personally.

Last edited:

crfrider16

Heretic
Established Member
I worked 7 pm to 7 am for 12 years. When I was 21, it wasn't too hard. By the time I was 33, it was pure hell. It really is harsh on your body.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

Machdup1

Established Member
Just wondering if anyone works or has worked the 3rd shift ( 11pm to 7am). I may have an opportunity to do a 4 year job and was wondering how difficult it is to adjust and how it affects your daily life.

Did it on many occasions. Picture being the opposite of everyone else.

Poppacapp

Established Member
When I worked 3rd shift, I NEVER felt rested. I had to put up room darkening blinds, and could sleep 10 hours and still be tired. Then you have to wake up to a pitch dark room... and on top of that, all of the neighborhood noise happens to happen when you try to sleep.

I will never voluntarily work 3rd again. My sleep clock never got used to it.

mifordman

Established Member
I worked a 6PM to 6AM shift for 4 years. I didnt mind it for the first 2 years, actually i kind of liked it at first. But then the lack of sun and lack of social life wore on me. I could sleep 10-12 hours and still be ready for more. I was pretty grouchy towards the end of it, no matter the time of day.

Gray_Ghost

Established Member
I did it for 8 years and I had no life during the week. I made good money, but I was miserable. However, my hours were 5pm to 5am and I had no say on the amount of overtime I got. Usually pulled 55-65 hours a week. NEVER AGAIN.

SOCOMech

Established Member
I work swing shift 2-10:30pm and it's really not that bad. I get up early and hit the gym, take a nap when I get home and still have plenty of time to mess around doing whatever. I avoid working the graveyard shift at all cost due to listening to those that have and the reasons already mentioned. My life being at night all the time would drive me crazy, screws your weekends too. Plus, I see the guys that work graveyard and let me tell ya, they're a different breed of people

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2

98v8

Established Member
I have worked 11-7 almost the last 2 years it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. However I do take spells where it is hard to sleep during the day. And I normally have plenty of time to do stuff before work or right after I get off. One bonus to working it is less supervisors and itscooler during the summer. :kaboom:

ff500

Established Member
I'll be working outdoors and in the subway tunnels in Boston installing fiber and communication lines for the trains.

Poppacapp

Established Member
If you have issues sleeping during the day, I highly suggest getting your doctor to let you try Lunesta. I have taken it for many years, and it help me sleep(I have worked 2nd shift for 14 years, but toss and turn all night without sleep help)

tdschst

Established Member
The worst I've worked is swing shift (3 nights and 2 days). Worst possible shift there is. By the time you get used to sleeping during the day and being up all day you have to change it up. It feels like you can never catch up on sleep, which you really can't. Finally on my first day off I'd sleep most of it. Then you're screwed the following day because you have to go in that night. I was the grouchiest person you could be around. AVOID WORKING LIKE THAT AT ALL COSTS. Working straight midnights won't be too bad. Stores are empty when you go, could get a lot done in the mornings, and can pick up your kids and watch them.

leo2hot4tv

Established Member
Used to work 12-6 a couple of years back. Sleeping sucks, it's hard to sleep during the day and you only sleep a couple of hours at night. I was never able to adjust to it. Not a problem since I was 21, as stated before, I can imagine being older how it would be worse.

Last edited:

derklug

Seriously? No, never.
Established Member
Premium Member
I worked thirds for years, it worked better for me and the family than seconds, but it is not for everyone. Some people just can't adjust to sleeping during the day. Later in life, I worked thirds while I was single, but didn't like the kind of drunk women I found in bars at 7 am, so I switched again.

FIVEHOE

Established Member
I used to do this for a year during college and boy it was rough after awhile. I'd generally work 11 to 7 then go to class from 8-3 then sleep and repeat. It got real old, real fast. Hardly ever seeing my roommates or having time to see family because when I wasn't working or at school, then I was sleeping.

I was a night owl so at the time it sounded great, especially since I was allowed to work on homework while it wasn't busy at work. I also started having issues falling asleep during the day after awhile, which I think was actually due to the fact that the brain usually associate day time with being active.

Just some things to think about. Guy I shared the 3rd shift with had a family and kids, so if he could do it, then I'm sure you could :)

coposrv

Established Member
I sometimes have to supervise 12 hr shifts. I'm in New Jersey for what was supposed be 7 days. Looks like it will be closer to 10. I'm doing 12 hr night shift 6-6. It sucks. I never feel rested. Trying to sleep during the day for me is hard. If its light out my body is up. Blocking the sun out and making the room dark helps but I think my body still knows and doesn't like it.

1KleenSVT

Established Member
I am on my 5th week of overnights that will last atleast a year and I can say the wife and I love it. It's 10-6, I sleep right when I get home and wake up around 2. I have mondays and tuesdays off and sleep like a normal human being those nights and when I wake up around 1 on monday it basically feels like a 3 days weekend since I don't have to be to work till Wed night. The pay increase was well worth it too.

cbr repsol

Established Member
I did it for 8 years ,9 pm to 530am. It sucks as as op mentioned your always gonna be tired. I didnt have kids at the time so it wasnt to bad . Now I have two kids and it was this last year.
Plus side is staying up late on your days off. Being off durring the day on a weekend and also making a doctors appointment.

Users who are viewing this thread