anyone with Kooks side pipes? Having fitment issues

Kooks Headers

Established Member
The issue the OP was having was due to the QTP cut outs. We have redesigned the side pipes with a slip fit for easier installation and better overall fitment.

USNjocson

CORPSMAN UP!
Established Member
Did this get sorted out? I am looking at doing Kooks long tube headers, catted boss H, with 2013 quad tip GT500 mufflers.

The issue the OP was having was due to the QTP cut outs. We have redesigned the side pipes with a slip fit for easier installation and better overall fitment.

Yes I have sorted everything out. I had the first gen side pipes that would not work with OEM spacers or QTP cutotus. Kooks have made a new batch of side pipes with slip-fitment that allow more play. Mine as you can see was a pita to work with but my exhaust shop was able to eventually make it work. Not knocking Kooks thought since they were patient with me and even offered to replace my 1st gen side pipes for their new one.

BTW Jabooh1 Kooks longtubes, kooks offroad H and '13 GT500 is a great sounding set-up, I would know :rockon:

9820650606_00ae5cee65_c.jpg

9820709233_5eb148027f_c.jpg

9820649336_e7e2de74e9_c.jpg

Jabooh1

Established Member
Yes I have sorted everything out. I had the first gen side pipes that would not work with OEM spacers or QTP cutotus. Kooks have made a new batch of side pipes with slip-fitment that allow more play. Mine as you can see was a pita to work with but my exhaust shop was able to eventually make it work. Not knocking Kooks thought since they were patient with me and even offered to replace my 1st gen side pipes for their new one.

BTW Jabooh1 Kooks longtubes, kooks offroad H and '13 GT500 is a great sounding set-up, I would know :rockon:

9820650606_00ae5cee65_c.jpg

9820709233_5eb148027f_c.jpg

9820649336_e7e2de74e9_c.jpg

Any way you can get a good sound clip? The videos don't really convey what it sounds like. If I remember correctly you did the '13 mufflers first right? If so, how much louder would you say the LT and OR H made it at idle, cruising and WOT? Is that why you did the QTP cutouts?

USNjocson

CORPSMAN UP!
Established Member
Any way you can get a good sound clip? The videos don't really convey what it sounds like. If I remember correctly you did the '13 mufflers first right? If so, how much louder would you say the LT and OR H made it at idle, cruising and WOT? Is that why you did the QTP cutouts?

First I did OEM boss exhuast w/baffles removed with '12 GT500 ab
[youtube_browser]25ukPH44q7s[/youtube_browser]

Followed by Kooks lth 1-7/8", Kooks offroad H, Kooks side pipes, lethal performance gen 2 ota pipes and '12 GT500 ab
[youtube_browser]kF2Q2AHw-kA[/youtube_browser]
[youtube_browser]U-H4nFK69FY[/youtube_browser]

Kooks lth 1-7/8", Kooks offroad H, Kooks side pipes, lethal performance gen 2 ota pipes and Borla S
[youtube_browser]RhoED_36HHs[/youtube_browser]
[youtube_browser]kq_R5yR_3Lw[/youtube_browser]

Kooks lth 1-7/8", Kooks offroad H, Kooks side pipes w/5/8" restrictor plates, lethal performance gen 2 ota pipes and magnaflow comp quad tips (muffler delete) BAD DRONE AT 1700-2000 RPM
[youtube_browser]U7UsudlvUg0[/youtube_browser]

Now to the question about the '13 GT500 ab with full exhaust. It is similar to the '12 but on steriods. It has the same tone at WOT but idles harder and deeper. No matter how many people tell me the '13 and '14 GT500 axle backs are the same, I swear that the '14s were louder. It sounded like my Borla-S but a little more tame. As where my '13 GT500 ab sounds like my '12 but deeper. I'll try to get a sound clip tomorrow but it'll be an idle clip since its started to snow here. Hope this helps!

Last edited:

Jabooh1

Established Member
This is awesome thanks. I have the '13 GT500 mufflers already on so it will give me an idea of what to expect with the kooks pieces.

nosympathy

Boss 302
Established Member
USN, I am looking at the kooks 1-7/8 with Boss quad as well. I don't know about the kooks side pipes right away. Need to see where I sit after selling my Boss 302 OEM rims and maybe my Glock 23.

Regardless, with the GT500 or the Borla, with the side exhaust open all the way on the highway was there drone? I saw with the magnaflows there was drone, I am not worried about that as I will be muffler based.

Curious about the side pipes droning. I drive 35ish miles, mostly highway to work. I am don't mind minor drone, but don't want anything major.

fast4v

Established Member
Just installed kooks redesigned side pipes on a completely stock exhaust system....WOW!!!does the car sound angry. I may just pass on a axle back since the pipes sound so good. Did not expect them to be that loud.
Install was a smooth and the quality of the pipes is awesome

IMG_2947.jpg

IMG_2946.jpg

darreng505

Established Member
You should hear them with an off road H-pipe. Rolling thunder. But not for street without cats.

I have a pair of QTP electric cutouts for sale.

Jabooh1

Established Member
I think I am going to use cats. Probably too loud for street use with H. I will suffer a little HP for maintaining a relationship with those around me.

USNjocson

CORPSMAN UP!
Established Member
USN, I am looking at the kooks 1-7/8 with Boss quad as well. I don't know about the kooks side pipes right away. Need to see where I sit after selling my Boss 302 OEM rims and maybe my Glock 23.

Regardless, with the GT500 or the Borla, with the side exhaust open all the way on the highway was there drone? I saw with the magnaflows there was drone, I am not worried about that as I will be muffler based.

Curious about the side pipes droning. I drive 35ish miles, mostly highway to work. I am don't mind minor drone, but don't want anything major.
Zero drone with the Borla-s and GT500 axlebacks
Borla S
[youtube_browser]oNjD71vbcpk[/youtube_browser]
'12 GT500 ab. This was the day after the freshly installed full exhaust.
[youtube_browser]NnoxGLmsKnI[/youtube_browser]
Just installed kooks redesigned side pipes on a completely stock exhaust system....WOW!!!does the car sound angry. I may just pass on a axle back since the pipes sound so good. Did not expect them to be that loud.
Install was a smooth and the quality of the pipes is awesome

IMG_2947.jpg

IMG_2946.jpg
The kooks exhaust only gets better with time. When I first installed the full exhaust it was crazy loud and "tinny" but eventually got deeper in tone

fast4v

Established Member
Zero drone with the Borla-s and GT500 axlebacks
Borla S
[youtube_browser]oNjD71vbcpk[/youtube_browser]
'12 GT500 ab. This was the day after the freshly installed full exhaust.
[youtube_browser]NnoxGLmsKnI[/youtube_browser]

The kooks exhaust only gets better with time. When I first installed the full exhaust it was crazy loud and "tinny" but eventually got deeper in tone

Just with the kooks side exhaust it sounds crazy. I can't even imagine what yours sounds like with full exhaust.
I like what you did to your side pipe tips, did you powder coat them or high temp paint?

USNjocson

CORPSMAN UP!
Established Member
Just with the kooks side exhaust it sounds crazy. I can't even imagine what yours sounds like with full exhaust.
I like what you did to your side pipe tips, did you powder coat them or high temp paint?

Powder coat. High temp heat paint wouldn't last with rocks flying up an chipping it

Users who are viewing this thread