Anyone with Comp Stage 2 Cams-Video's?

lescok

Established Member
Hey guys, thinking about installing some Comp Stage 2 blower cams. Anyone running them? Thoughts? Videos? All insight appreciated Thanks

cozmo2806

up in dat azz
Established Member
Probably one of the best off the shelf cams for these cars. Dont have any vids myself as I took them out. Sound all depends on what centerlines they are installed at.

ninety5fiveoh

DHG FTW!
Established Member
I have them in the motor I recently purchased. The previous owner made great power with them, even on just a baseline tuneup, and they sound very healthy.

BTW, I tried to PM you about the Melling pump we talked about, but your Inbox is full and you don't have Visitor Messages turned on. Please send me a PM when you see this, thanks!

lescok

Established Member
I have them in the motor I recently purchased. The previous owner made great power with them, even on just a baseline tuneup, and they sound very healthy.

BTW, I tried to PM you about the Melling pump we talked about, but your Inbox is full and you don't have Visitor Messages turned on. Please send me a PM when you see this, thanks!

Ok will clear it out now PM whenever your ready.

03Steve

Established Member
Same engine with a TVS spinning harder and race parts:

[video=youtube;pUbhpJp0EBQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUbhpJp0EBQ[/video]

03Steve

Established Member
Hey Matt, that is my car. The silver one has a highly modified longblock. Car has never been on a dyno. For the ET/mph at its weight I would suspect around 700hp to the tires. Boost is 19psi.

03Steve

Established Member
They are fine after work in the 2000-3000 RPM area, playing with dashpot decay, idle stuff, etc. The only negative that I can think of is when in overdrive with the converter locked, or at low rpm/higher gear with a manual, the engine will shudder at higher throttle positions. The narrower you set the separation angle the more work you will have cut out for you.

cozmo2806

up in dat azz
Established Member
Hey Steve/Cosmo, what kind of street manners did these have?

Mine were pretty good. I had most of the overlap degreed out of mine. The only issue I had was majority of the time when the car would go between open and closed loop it had a stumble I could never get rid of. I think if I would have spent more time with the tuner we could have gotten it worked out.

03Steve

Established Member
I ran at 15 degrees of overlap with mine. Decided to run open loop full time over the last five years. Going back and playing with closed loop was on the punchlist. I may be getting into the engine and bringing up the static and cam duration more, so I don't have much to offer on closed loop tuning with these. You can make them work very very well in full time open loop though!

cozmo2806

up in dat azz
Established Member
I ran at 15 degrees of overlap with mine. Decided to run open loop full time over the last five years. Going back and playing with closed loop was on the punchlist. I may be getting into the engine and bringing up the static and cam duration more, so I don't have much to offer on closed loop tuning with these. You can make them work very very well in full time open loop though!

Steve, with keeping it in open loop at all times, we're you able to keep your target A/F ratios where you wanted at all rpm and loads?

03Steve

Established Member
Yes, but I use very expensive mass air meters on the car. I recently switched the the Pro-M 117. It holds 2-3 A/D counts at idle and has a very stable and repeatable output. However, if the fuel varies in ethanol level from one pump to the next, it will require manual intervention. That is a big reason the OEMs use the O2s. Holding an AFR from one fuel source to the next.

I could have worked with the closed loop more from the start. There are ways of dialing it in with a heavy overlap cam profile despite the not so optimal starting point in the OEM calibration. Transport delay is a learned feature that is loggable, O2 bias, O2 heater increase, switch to open loop vs RPM function, and so on. If you have a MAF output that isn't tightly repeatable and a varying fuel source it is certainly an advantage to have. It's one of the many things you don't get by zipping thru a gear on a dyno.

cozmo2806

up in dat azz
Established Member
Good info there. This is one reason I am considering tuning my car myself. I am very picky when it comes to this stuff and won't be happy until the car runs and drives as best as it possibly can. I've also had the pro-m 92 in the back of my mind for quite some time now. How much of an upgrade is it from a ba2600 from a quality stand point?

Users who are viewing this thread