Anyone with automotive painting experience, I have a question for you

ponyboyisaac

Now Kaioken...times 10!!
Established Member
Ok I need insight on what would be more cost effective and easier.

I have the opportunity on buying a used saleen bumper which is already painted but has some chips in the paint but no major defects. It is red in color and I will have a body shop paint it black.

I also have the option of buying a new saleen bumper, but they are pretty raw when new and i've read they need a lot of prep before paint.

So i'm thinking it would be smart to buy the used one, as it would be easier for the shop to lightly sand and prep it for paint as opposed to the new bumper which they would need to sand and prep a lot more.

Am I correct in thinking the used,already painted bumper, would be easier to paint then a new, raw urethane bumper?

Last edited:

N2DAMYSTIC

WAS THERE A BILL OF SALE
Established Member
Best to post in the show and shine section about this. Hopefully Kevin Tetz will chime in for you.

crazycarlo

Established Member
I would say it would be more cost effective to buy and pint the used one.

Also keep in mind if your buy new DONT buy it from Saleen. Unfortunately they have alot of fitment and prep problems with their actual genuine parts.

ponyboyisaac

Now Kaioken...times 10!!
Established Member
Yeah, ive read so much on saleen parts being very bad as far as fitment.

65x2

Resident Hippie
Established Member
Depends on if the used one was prepped properly or not. If it wasn't then you're going to have issues down the road. I also don't wanna see red paint showing if a rock catches my bumper.
I'd go with the new one just to verify it was prepped properly and a flex agent was used.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

speednutz

Established Member
I'd buy the used one as long as it's only got a few chips.

Wet sand the whole thing and lightly sand the chips.

Prime the chipped areas with a white or light grey primer.

fill in the chips with "Spot Puddy" sand and reprime the spot puddy, wet sand the primer and clean the whole thing well and paint.

Should be easy.

If the chips are deep then you may have to use regular body filler which will take more work.

Users who are viewing this thread