Anyone with a Tuner I can use to update Gear Ratio in the SF Valley?

DarkRattle

Established Member
Just bought another 99 Cobra, planning to change the gear ratio to 4.30 tomorrow, anyone got an SCT tuner around me that I can use to change the gearing for like $20 (obviously not for the tuner itself, to use it in front of you)?

01yellercobra

Established Member
It doesn't work that way. Each tuner is locked to the car. You'll need to get your own tuner or a Speed Cal.

Misspelling brought to you by Tapatalk

shurur

Established Member
Like slo98now said.
You shound just get a speed cal.
It stuffs under the shifter boot/bezel inside the car.

96gt02

Established Member
I feel like this should be a Geico commercial hahahaha, Yeah none of what your saying works that way. Tuners get locked to one car at a time unless returned back to stock, so either buy yourself your owner tuner (has to have preloaded tunes or else you will also have to buy a custom tune) and enjoy one of the best mods you will buy, or just get the speed cal.

PS if you do want to buy a tuner I have an unmarried X3 3015 (preloaded) for $210 shipped or an unmarried X4 7015 (preloaded) for $275 shipped

Last edited:

DarkRattle

Established Member
Good to know guys, the reason is I usually buy stuff on Amazon prime, but tuners cant get shipped to California so :/ I guess I'll just reship it.

shurur

Established Member
Also..There are so many different tuners out there from canned Bama Tuners to local dyno tuners to DIY tuners that it is just better to get a speed cal and research the whole tuner thing at your leisure.

DarkRattle

Established Member
I feel like this should be a Geico commercial hahahaha, Yeah none of what your saying works that way. Tuners get locked to one car at a time unless returned back to stock, so either buy yourself your owner tuner (has to have preloaded tunes or else you will also have to buy a custom tune) and enjoy one of the best mods you will buy, or just get the speed cal.

PS if you do want to buy a tuner I have an unmarried X3 3015 (preloaded) for $210 shipped or an unmarried X4 7015 (preloaded) for $275 shipped
Wait i'm confused, so what the tuner has to be always plugged in the car? That makes no sense, why cant you just tune a car, reset the tuner, and then tune another car?

96gt02

Established Member
Wait i'm confused, so what the tuner has to be always plugged in the car? That makes no sense, why cant you just tune a car, reset the tuner, and then tune another car?

No it doesn't have to stay plugged in but once it's used to tune a car, it's married to that car until said car is returned back to the stock tune at which time the tuner could be used on a different car

DarkRattle

Established Member
No it doesn't have to stay plugged in but once it's used to tune a car, it's married to that car until said car is returned back to the stock tune at which time the tuner could be used on a different car
how does the tuner that's not plugged into the car know when the other car isn't married, why do they do this anyways, it's ridiculous, I'm guessing for marketing.

96gt02

Established Member
how does the tuner that's not plugged into the car know when the other car isn't married, why do they do this anyways, it's ridiculous, I'm guessing for marketing.

The tuner itself is what gets married not the car, you can tune over a tuned car if you have multiple tuners and wanted to waste money lol. And they do this so they sell more than one tuner because they are a company trying to make money lol

Attachments

• s-l1600 (8).jpg
    s-l1600 (8).jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 85

DarkRattle

Established Member
The tuner itself is what gets married not the car, you can tune over a tuned car if you have multiple tuners and wanted to waste money lol. And they do this so they sell more than one tuner because they are a company trying to make money lol
yeah that's what I figured Marketing lol

shurur

Established Member
Something to note..the cigarette lighter wire is normally used to power the speedcal.
BUT..the 1999 (96-99) cigarette lighter line is constant on!!..and switched only on the 01-04.
The speedcall that is powered through your cigarette wire will run down your battery over time...~week.

You will want your speedcal connected to the switched traction control power instead.

http://web.archive.org/web/20120704210938/http://www.miracerros.com:80/mustang/axle.htm

Last edited:

DarkRattle

Established Member
Something to note..the cigarette lighter wire is normally used to power the speedcal.
BUT..the 1999 (96-99) cigarette lighter line is constant on!!..and switched only on the 01-04.
The speedcall that is powered through your cigarette wire will run down your battery over time...~week.

You will want your speedcal connected to the switched traction control power instead.

http://web.archive.org/web/20120704210938/http://www.miracerros.com:80/mustang/axle.htm
yeah not a fan personally of just having something plugged into my car all the time so I'm just gonna get a tuner. Also yeah noticed that, a bluetooth cigarette lighter thing I had killed my battery.

96gt02

Established Member
Let me know if you decide to buy a tuner, I always have some!

Users who are viewing this thread