Anyone with a Rear Strut Tower Brace... help!!

Jgranga171

1BADSNAKE
Established Member
My car has an annoying squeak. I thought it was coming from the convertible top, but I've since found out that it's coming from the where the rear strut tower brace meets the metal floor of the trunk. It has a hole where you can drill it out to put a bolt in it, but I fear the fuel tank would be in the way. Has anyone ever installed one of these? Would there be a way to loosen the bolts up enough to get some thick rubber under there? Or will the springs keep the brace from getting loose without the proper spring compression tools? I need help! I'm trying to sell this car by Wednesday. I have a buyer but he is concerned about the squeak! Thanks!!

hawaiiancobra

Established Member
i think its as easy as removing the shock nuts on top and removing the washer and rubber piece, then remove rear shock tower bar. the center of the bar is supposed to be drilled and bolted down to trunk floor. when drilling it out, put some electrical tape about a half inch up from tip of bit and that will prevent you from drilling thru and puncturing the fuel tank. the tape stops you from drilling further

Jgranga171

1BADSNAKE
Established Member
thanks man... so if I take the shock nuts off, it won't shoot the springs up at all? It'll just loosen up? I just want to make sure before I ruin something!

Users who are viewing this thread