Anyone with a 85mm Lens?

divided

Established Member
So I just picked up a Canon 85mm 1.8 mainly for car photography and an upcoming shoot. Anyone have this lens that can post some car shots? Also wondering what you think of it?

harry gilbert

Diehard Ford Fan
Established Member
85mm is considered an excellent human portrait lens, minimum distortion at portrait distances. I've sen that focal length used to photograph features on a car, but you'd have to back up a bit to get the entire car in. Personally, when taking auto shots, I use 17-40, 24-70, or 70-200 lenses, depending on the perspective I want (and the room I have to move around in, which can be cramped at auto shows). This is a good question to post on Digital Camera Reviews and News: Digital Photography Review: Forums, Glossary, FAQ (Discussion Forums, Canon Lens Talk) or fredmiranda.com: Specialized in Canon - Nikon SLR Cameras, Forum, Photoshop Plugins, Actions, Reviews, Hosting and Digital Darkroom. (Canon Forum) Lots of real pros hang out there.

Blown_By_You

Richard Head
Established Member
I just picked up a 10-22 for shooting cars and landscape.. I f'n love the stretched look a wide angle gives..

Silver2003Cobra

US Navy (retired)
Established Member
So I just picked up a Canon 85mm 1.8 mainly for car photography and an upcoming shoot. Anyone have this lens that can post some car shots? Also wondering what you think of it?

do you mean an 85mm straight lense, or a zoom lense that covers that (if you mean one that covers it, yes I have a couple of them, an 55-250 mm IS and a 90-300 non IS.. (well, is 90mm close enough for you)?

harry gilbert

Diehard Ford Fan
Established Member
Just remember that an 85mm lens on a crop sensor camera is equivalent to a longer focal length (factor of 1.3 or 1.6 depending on sensor size). May be too long for photographing autos, unless you're standing on the sidewalk shooting cars coming down the street.

Users who are viewing this thread