anyone who has installed the lower pulley ,,,, plaese come in!!

icu812

GOT MILF?
Established Member
well I had some free time today and decided to put the lower pulley on .
when it came time to remove the center bolt (Metco says it turns clockwise to loosen) I could not get it to budge, after fear of breaking something I decided to ask the masses.
how much tq. does it take to get it to break loose? what was the easest way for you when you did yours ? any feedback would help and thanx in advance
Larry V.

supercobra506

NINJA
Established Member
its on there good dude, i broke a cheap breaker bar first. then i used a 2foot craftsman breaker bar with a 2ft cheater pipe on there. i undid the 3 10mm bolts holding the coolant resivoir, and moved it out of the way.

Oxford Snake

Established Member
Here's some tips: Put the tranny in 4th gear, firmly set the ebrake, and have someone hold the brake pedal. I used a bunch of towels to cover the fender near the battery. Use a long 1/2" breaker bar with a cheater pipe slipped over the breaker bar. Attach the socket so the breaker bar is pointing straight up or slightly towards the passenger side. Pull towards the battery with all your strength/weight. Once it breaks free you will hear a loud pop.

Good luck!

BlackSabbath

Established Member
Oxford Snake said:
Here's some tips: Put the tranny in 4th gear, firmly set the ebrake, and have someone hold the brake pedal. I used a bunch of towels to cover the fender near the battery. Use a long 1/2" breaker bar with a cheater pipe slipped over the breaker bar. Attach the socket so the breaker bar is pointing straight up or slightly towards the passenger side. Pull towards the battery with all your strength/weight. Once it breaks free you will hear a loud pop.

Good luck!

This is exactly what I did, but I didn't have anyone stand on the brake pedal. Just make sure to use a 3ft steel pipe over the breaker bar, stand on the drivers side of the car and ram it towards the drivers side fender with one quick dropping motion. Mine broke free on the first try and I nearly fell down. It's nearly impossible without a pipe to get leverage.

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
Rumor has it, that it can be on to the tune of about 250 ft lbs of torque.......So, you're going to need some leverage!

mjzilinski

Kenne Bell
Established Member
Oxford Snake said:

Good luck!
Good info, thanks :beer:

Narcosynthesis

Knees in the Breeze!
Established Member
keep trying. I broke two socket wrenches and a cheater bar. Sears replaced them all though! Good luck, you will get stubborn pulley off eventually.

sedanman

Established Member
Mine was HELL it was so tight. I ended up having to do it from below with the breaker bar on a jack and jack the jack up! But I finally won :)

Two Snakes

Putting on the foil
Established Member
Oxford Snake said:

Good luck!

Exactly what I did, but it didn't break free until the 3rd yank on the 3ft cheater pipe - and I aint a small dude. I found that anger and beer really help on this job. Good luck with it. :beer:

ptrfree

The problem cobra
Established Member
Just remember that its not actually a bolt, the whole pulley turns.
Lee

Users who are viewing this thread