Anyone using the T-56 Magnum??

03SVTCOBRA10TH

Established Member
well apparently, it doesn't and it does. so which is it. because now I am confused.

Well, I don't know what motor mounts the other poster is using. All I know it that the one we installed, the shifter was in the correct location and the console required no modifications. Also, the drive shaft fit without needing to be shortened.

There are 2 variables here. 1 is the motor mounts. 2 is the slip yoke. We are using solid motor mounts from Laural Mountain Mustangs, which are known to lower the motor 1 inch or so. We are also using a Moser 31 spline 1350 U joint slip yoke. IIRC, the other poster was using a different slip yoke (FRPP IIRC which is longer) and it required a different U joint, most likely a 1330/1350 hybrid U joint to make it work.

The short answer is, in some instances the drive shaft will have to be shortened and in some it will not. There are some variables in equipment that seem to make up the 1 1/2 inch variance.

I hope you are not cofused any more.

Last edited:

ModularFan

Established Member
Well, I don't know what motor mounts the other poster is using. All I know it that the one we installed, the shifter was in the correct location and the console required no modifications. Also, the drive shaft fit without needing to be shortened.

There are 2 variables here. 1 is the motor mounts. 2 is the slip yoke. We are using solid motor mounts from Laural Mountain Mustangs, which are known to lower the motor 1 inch or so. We are also using a Moser 31 spline 1350 U joint slip yoke. IIRC, the other poster was using a different slip yoke (FRPP IIRC which is longer) and it required a different U joint, most likely a 1330/1350 hybrid U joint to make it work.

The short answer is, in some instances the drive shaft will have to be shortened and in some it will not. There are some variables in equipment that seem to make up the 1 1/2 inch variance.

I hope you are not cofused any more.

Do you have a part-number etc?

tommygun

Established Member
I use the Astro Performance upgraded T56

much stronger then the 6060 stuff

SprSonicCobra03

Established Member
yea, my transmission is great, but my FRPP TOB sounds like shit. and i think i slung a weight off of the new driveshaft cause its vibrating at 50+mph. but other than that the Magnum is nice, cant axe for any better shifting

:rockon:

SprSonicCobra03

Established Member
let me know if your magnum sounds like a diesel rattling at idle....i've already had to take mine out and put a new release bearing and double-checked everything. It sounds horrible when the car is idling at low rpms. I need to check into the warranty cause i might be sending the transmission i got back! I didnt pay all that money for it to sounds like a cummins diesel sitting at the stop light. haha!

Keep us updated bud!:beer:

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
That thing doesn't use straight-cut gears, does it??

EDIT: no, I didn't think it would

Last edited:

SprSonicCobra03

Established Member
When i got the new transmission it had a big sticker on the side of it that said use "Dexron III ATF ONLY" so thats what went in there... The transmission shifts smoothe, and seems to run fine. It just sounds like shit when idling. I mean its LOUD. I need to call TREMEC today and see about sending it back for an exchange.... i hope!

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
Mine is in and I love it!! although it's not a direct bolt in for a 98 car that's forsure!! my spec stage 3 doesn't chatter at all either which i find kind of wierd.. anyways i'm one happy camper!!

viper82489

Established Member
Just got mine today, just playing with it in the box i can tell this is gonna be a sweet trans. Im going to try and get it in this weekend if the weather permits.

Does anyone know the exact amount the drive shaft has to be shortened?

ModularFan

Established Member
Just got mine today, just playing with it in the box i can tell this is gonna be a sweet trans. Im going to try and get it in this weekend if the weather permits.

Does anyone know the exact amount the drive shaft has to be shortened?

I think an Inch. or 1/2 of an inch.

viper82489

Established Member
Got the trans in this weekend and I am very happy with it. I had my drive shaft shortened 1 1/4 but one inch would have been plenty.

I think there is something wrong with my clutch and/or flywheel because i have a horrible vibration when driving the car, guess that means im pulling the trans again to take a look.

Users who are viewing this thread