anyone using the Eibach Cobra R springs?

lifter213

Established Member
I'm interested in how much it lowered it and if you have any pictures. Also any complaints at all? I'm trying to decide between the Eibach Pro-kit or the Eibach Cobra R kit. Right now i'm leaning towards the Cobra R. From what i hear it lowers the 03 cobra a 1/2 inch in front and 1 1/4 in back. And ride quality should be the same. Any help would be appreciated. :beer:

jwfisher

Banned
I have it. See my site for pics. Ride quality is very good.. noticiably stiffer than stock but not anywhere near the worst I've had (which was probably the 1000# and KONI DA setup I've used in past cars). Credit part of that to the rates (only 800# fr/rr), and the Bilsteins.

On the Bilsteins, I am also using the Cobra R Bilsteins - the real thing. IMHO, the stock shocks/struts are enough to cover the Eibach Pro Kit (which is purely for lowering, not handling), but NOT the Eibach R springs.

The Cobra R setup lowered the car very little - about what you said. But, lowering wasn't my objective... the rear suspension mgeometry is near-perfect with the Cobra R setup. Any lower would hurt handling significantly. And, of course, a fr/rr alignment is required afterwards.

You will probably need upper strut mounts in front to acheive optimum neg camber. For my purposes, I needed a bit more neg camber than stock, so the upper mounts necessary.

Springs and dampeners should always be matched sets... going up 33% in spring rate requires new rates in the dampeners too. Otherwise you won't get any improvement in handling, it will in fact decrease.

I've got a ton of pics of the entire install to add to my site... but haven't had any time to get them up there. The spring swap on my '99 Cobra is documented in detail. My 2003 is of course identical from a process standpoint. So, you can use those pics as ref.

For your use (drag racing apparently), you don't want 33% more spring rate in either end. Cobra R setup would be a mistake.

Last edited:

lifter213

Established Member
Whoa that's alot of good info from both of you. So for my application of the occasional 1/4 mile track run and mainly street use the R springs wouldnt be good? What would the both of you recomend then? Would you say i would need the caster/camber plates with any springs or not? I'm not really wanting to get into the coil-overs so i would just like to do the springs. Mainly i'm just wanting to lower it the same about as the R springs would do and not sacrifice any ride quality.

jwfisher

Banned
I don't see any point in the R springs for you... they serve a totally different purpose. And, you'll loose some weight transfer off the line.

Bingo13

Established Member
I would do the Steeda Cobra Sport springs, MM CC plates, and MM IRS bushings if you are looking to lower the car, retain a stock ride, and still visit the strip. This allows you to keep the stock struts/shocks and lower the car 1.25" in the front and 1" in the rear on average.

Users who are viewing this thread