Anyone using the 3" pulley on a 2.9 Whipple on 91 Octane???

Lightnin440

Established Member
Hey all,

Just curious if anyone was successfully using the 3" pulley on a 2.9 with crummy 91 octane?? I've got the 3.25" on her now, and I read the FRPP kits come standard with the 3" pulley...figured since it's CARB legal it would possibly be able to live on 91, just curious if people are doing this!! According to the Whipple page, that 3" pulley yields approx. 18psi, can anyone verify??

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
Yes, the FRPP kit comes with a 3" pulley and a tune for 91 octane, and that tune is massively conservative. I'm getting just shy of 19psi with mine.

Blackmax

Established Member
Yes, the FRPP kit comes with a 3" pulley and a tune for 91 octane, and that tune is massively conservative. I'm getting just shy of 19psi with mine.

Something doesn't add up here, you are running 19lbs of boost, stock injectors,91 tune and getting 750 rwhp?

Goose17

I have a major ego, and need attention.
Established Member
My 11' with the FR750 2.9 Whipple and 3" pully is rated at 17psi and I have seen 16.5 personally. Running the stock tune should be 750 crank ~ 635ish RWHP.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
Something doesn't add up here, you are running 19lbs of boost, stock injectors,91 tune and getting 750 rwhp?

Where'd you get 750 RWHP from? :??: And no, I'm not running a 91 octane tune.

96slowbra

Established Member
My 11' with the FR750 2.9 Whipple and 3" pully is rated at 17psi and I have seen 16.5 personally. Running the stock tune should be 750 crank ~ 635ish RWHP.

are you running the iridium plugs that came in the kit? i have the same kit in my 2010, and see only 14psi??? for some reason my throttle backs off through rpms when i did some logging... trying to track down the culprit

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
are you running the iridium plugs that came in the kit? i have the same kit in my 2010, and see only 14psi??? for some reason my throttle backs off through rpms when i did some logging... trying to track down the culprit

The culprit is the tune. It starts pulling timing the instant the IATs get warm.

96slowbra

Established Member
i have a c&r dual fan heatexchanger. my attention was on my fuel. my fuel demanded stays constant, but fuel pressure fluctuates at that point when everything falls off. because of that, i never paid super close attention to my IATs. i don't remember them getting high, while logging.

Last edited:

Goose17

I have a major ego, and need attention.
Established Member

I am running the complete kit as it comes from FR. I hit the record function on my Aeroforce Interceptor and hammered the throttle in 3rd. I backed off before redline and saw 16.5 peak during playback. I've tried looking real-time, but I have to focus out the window and not at the gauge due to the violent acceleration happenin'.:rockon:

NightRide

Roll Racer
Established Member
The frpp kit and the procal tune is so conservative I wouldn't be worried about the 91 oct. If your running an aftermarket tune with 17+ psi that will push the car harder. At that point imo I would use a half can of torco when you plan on wot runs just to be safe, cheap insurance.

Users who are viewing this thread