Anyone using JBA 3" exhaust?

todd383

Established Member
Just wondering if anyone is using JBA 3" exhaust, from the factory exhaust manifolds back to mufflers.(with cats) And if so, do you like it? is it any louder then the 2 1/2 set up? and fitment, and any performance gains? thanks.

evasive

Pro 2A Attorney
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
I bought the JBA "SuperSnake" 3" system when Shelby had the clearance sale but I'm running a JBA 3" catless pipe. It's a deep rumble and a bit loud.

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
Just wondering if anyone is using JBA 3" exhaust, from the factory exhaust manifolds back to mufflers.(with cats) And if so, do you like it? is it any louder then the 2 1/2 set up? and fitment, and any performance gains? thanks.

I have the full JBA 3" from FRPP shorty's (same position as the cast iron manifolds) back.....with the JBA hi-flow catted X.

Yes, louder and throatier than the 2.5". Fits nice when properly installed.

R

Last edited:

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
I found a picture........the full 3" JBA tucks nicely.........

024.jpg

R

todd383

Established Member
I have the full JBA 3" from FRPP shorty's (same position as the cast iron manifolds) back.....with the JBA hi-flow catted X.

Yes, louder and throatier than the 2.5". Fits nice when properly installed.

R
thanks robert, what muffler clamps did you use, the one in the kit looks like those old crimping style?? did you use accuseal clamps? and how were installing those shorty headers???

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
thanks robert, what muffler clamps did you use, the one in the kit looks like those old crimping style?? did you use accuseal clamps? and how were installing those shorty headers???

The clamps for the x-pipe connections were the long flat band type clamps. The catback used the wire clamps which seem to work well.

The shorty's were a pain to install, but I really hated to open my hood and see rusty cast iron manifolds!!

Before (a friends 2007 Super Snake)........

100_2431.jpg

100_2435.jpg

After (my 2008).........

Picturedownload5-2-09036.jpg

Picturedownload5-2-09038.jpg

^^^^^^^100% improvement in looks, if nothing else........

One thing I did notice immediately after the shorty/JBA 3" install........the car/engine turns up much quicker than it did before the exhaust upgrade. There were no other changes except the exhaust.

R

Last edited:

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
One other thing I found when upgrading to the JBA 3" is that the 2007 transmission cross member is unique/different from the 2008-up. In 2007 Ford had mid-pipe exhaust hangers attached to the cross member (right and left), 2008-up there is no mid support and the complete exhaust system is hanging on the exhaust manifold or header bolts/flanges at the front and on the muffler hangers at the rear. Since the JBA x-pipe had the hangers welded in place, I decided to use a 2007 cross member on my 2008 and add a some additional exhaust system support.

The 2007 GT500 x-cross member with exhaust hangers.....

September2009090-1.jpg

The 2008-up x-member has the holes for these exhaust brackets/hangers, but Ford only sells the exhaust hangers with the x-member as an assy.

R

Last edited:

todd383

Established Member
One other thing I found when upgrading to the JBA 3" is that the 2007 transmission cross member is unique/different from the 2008-up. In 2007 Ford had mid-pipe exhaust hangers attached to the cross member (right and left), 2008-up there is no mid support and the complete exhaust system is hanging on the exhaust manifold or header bolts/flanges at the front and on the muffler hangers at the rear. Since the JBA x-pipe had the hangers welded in place, I decided to use a 2007 cross member on my 2008 and add a some additional exhaust system support.

The 2007 GT500 x-cross member with exhaust hangers.....

September2009090-1.jpg

The 2008-up x-member has the holes for these exhaust brackets/hangers, but Ford only sells the exhaust hangers with the x-member as an assy.

R
My car is an 08, and it has the hangers, but it is an early build 08.

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
My car is an 08, and it has the hangers, but it is an early build 08.

It must be a production "B4 and after" date change for 2008 then. My 2008 was built 3/08 I believe. The cross member did not have the brackets/hangers and the factory x/h pipe did not have the pieces welded on it to work with the hangers.

The cross member "with" exhaust hangers must be 2007-early 2008.

R

cluscher

Established Member
I have this system too. Have run catted and catless. Both sound great. Not much louder without cats. No rasp or popping on decel. I run the SS mufflers too, and I believe they don't make these anymore so the mufflers you buy may not sound the same.

FWIW, I put mine on the dyno and picked up torque. I'm an upper pulley only car with TB/plenum and I went from power number being about 15 higher than torque, to torque being 10 higher than power. This was with stock manifolds. I don't know how much power I actually gained because of different dynos/conditions.

Last edited:

Blackmax

Established Member
I lost about 20 h.p. after installing the 3" system, went along with the loss in boost I guess. We ended up in an argument over how it doesn't work that way etc. But I think I can safely say that you will feel a loos of h.p. unless you run bigger blower.

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
I lost about 20 h.p. after installing the 3" system, went along with the loss in boost I guess. We ended up in an argument over how it doesn't work that way etc. But I think I can safely say that you will feel a loos of h.p. unless you run bigger blower.

I stumbled across the 2.5" to 3" Shelby/JBA catback set-up pictured below on Craigslist a couple of months ago. It is designed for use with the OEM 2.5" H-pipe. This may be the better stock blower option?......

0016-2.jpg

0054-1.jpg

R

cluscher

Established Member
My experience with the 3 inch system and the stock blower was definitely different. Nice torque gain for me. I went from 540hp/525tq on a Mustang dyno to 575hp/585tq on a Dynapack, which reads comparably to a Dynojet. I don't know if there's much of a power increase there given the different dynos, but I'd certainly buy another 3 inch system for my stock blower car given the difference in torque.

Blackmax, did you run LTs with your 3 inch system? Mine was through the stock manifolds.

Last edited:

Blackmax

Established Member
My experience with the 3 inch system and the stock blower was definitely different. Nice torque gain for me. I went from 540hp/525tq on a Mustang dyno to 575hp/585tq on a Dynapack, which reads comparably to a Dynojet. I don't know if there's much of a power increase there given the different dynos, but I'd certainly buy another 3 inch system for my stock blower car given the difference in torque.

Blackmax, did you run LTs with your 3 inch system? Mine was through the stock manifolds.

I dyno'd 700+ h.p. on a mustang dyno using dynotech longtubes,cats into 2.5 inch with KR mufflers. After cat delete and going to 3 inch JBA system I lost the 20 h.p. All cars are different and of course different air depending where you are etc. But in general I strongly feel there is a slight loss in h.p. with boost using 3 inch. I could be totaly wrong on this its just my own experience.

PistolWhip

Resident Man Dime
Established Member
I have the Super Snake 3" cat back and 3" JBA catted X pipe with factory manifolds. The fit is good; it's a beast to install, if you don't have a lift I wouldn't even attempt it. The quality is second to none. All clean Stainless with beautiful welds and very clean curves and joints. If you could see exhaust, this one would be a show piece.
I've run this cat back with the factory X pipe as well as the 3" JBA catted X pipe and there is ABSOLUTELY a difference in sound from the stock X and the JBA 3" X. The 3" X is a lot louder, I'm thinking its actually border line too loud for my taste. At idle and WOT it sounds unbelievable, the best non long tube sound I've ever heard on a 500. On part throttle cruising though, it's just a tad too much though and creates a little bit too much cabin drone for my tastes. I'm probably going to try to apply some sound deadening in the car before I jettison the entire set up since I like the WOT sound so much, but if it didn't sound so dam good I'd be bouncing it for something a little more tame. If you looking for an aggressive, deep tone with no rasp and don't mind a little drone, I would highly recommend the JBA 3" set up. The Super Snake tail pipes are just an added bonus and as stated above, they look amazing.

Last edited:

Nathan'sTsi

Established Member
I dyno'd 700+ h.p. on a mustang dyno using dynotech longtubes,cats into 2.5 inch with KR mufflers. After cat delete and going to 3 inch JBA system I lost the 20 h.p. All cars are different and of course different air depending where you are etc. But in general I strongly feel there is a slight loss in h.p. with boost using 3 inch. I could be totaly wrong on this its just my own experience.

It probably came down to differences in conditions when you did the pulls.

The fact that boost is lower is a sheer sign the more air is entering the combustion chamber (provided the conditions were the same for the pulls).

Users who are viewing this thread