Anyone using Bassani X w/o cats?

Johnny Random

SVT Monster
Established Member
Today I went to the muffler shop to get my x-pipe installed on my 03. I really wanted to know what it would sound like w/o the cats. The guy said $2000 a piece to install w/o the cats and then laughed and said he would do it anyway. The fine in NC is pretty high for shops that install systems w/o the cats.

Well I got it on and with the new Borla system in it sounds crazy loud. I almost got a headache on the ride home. Kinda like the first time I rode around town with my MAC system on my 00GT.

The weird part is I get this strange vibration from somewhere under the car when I get on it WOT and it is in gear. In neutral it makes a slight vibe sound. Anyone know what could be vibrating and causing the rattling sound? Maybe someone has something similar. Please let me know.

I called back a little while after I left and told em about it and I am going in again tomorrow. The cats will be going on this time.

OKC03Cobra

Established Member
I have Bassani headers, Bassani X-pipes and Borla cat-backs and have had no problems. The header bolts had to be retorqued after installation, but that is normal. The exhaust sound is awesome without being too loud. I suspect your installer is incompitent.

missile man

Established Member
I am running the O/R X pipe with the stock mufflers. It is pretty docile at idle but sounds pretty wicked at WOT. have no drone or vibrations.

Fast01Cobra

Established Member
Check to make sure the O2s are not touching the floor board some where.... I've had my Bassani for a little while now, and everything seems ok... Smells like hell in the car though.... Thinking about getting the CATS for it, 'cause I can't stand the smell....

Johnny Random

SVT Monster
Established Member
yeah i just got home from getting my cats put on. i have to make a trip this weekend for a few hours on the highway and i don't think that i could handle it without cats. i was going about 75 on the highway this afternoon nearly went deaf. the smell was pretty rough too.

the smell of new cats in the garage is a strange one too. atleast that is what i hope that smell is.

Johnny Random

SVT Monster
Established Member
by the way it sounds like the old system without the x-pipe to me. i am sure it does not but after riding around without the cats on...

KHsonic03

Established Member
That smell is the oil they use in the mandrel bend process burning off. It smells like that for a few hundred miles. It's not the cats. It will go away.:)

Johnny Random

SVT Monster
Established Member
Just regular Borla. However there is a guy on here that said he is having trouble getting the regular system with the 4" rolled tips from Amazon. Something about Borla production not too sure. So I might be getting the Stinger and selling him mine. Still don't know what I want. I could handle something a little louder than what I have now.

I did here a vid of the stinger system with o/r x and it had a lot of crackle to it. It could have been the x-pipe.

http://home.hawaii.rr.com/pasture/files/MOV00834.MPG

I really like the sound the x-pipe w/o cats for cruising around. It was pretty mean. But IMO not good at all for highway.

Users who are viewing this thread