Anyone using a Chrome Hurst Shift Stick?

90FoX

Established Member
I'm looking for feedback from people who have a hurst shift stick similar to this one:

21JHW-9DYLL._SS500_.jpg

My question is how did this work with your stock shift boot? Did it work at all and if it did work, did you modify your stock shift boot? Is there an adapter I need to help make it work with my shift boot?

If you have a picture of your setup it would be great if you can post it up for me to see.

Last edited:

PSUCOBRA96

Established Member
somebody did a whole hurst and matching shift boot a while back, looked good but he didn't use the stock shift boot.

perry2k12

Established Member
when i got my pro 5.0 it had one of these on it and it was soo long the pro 5.0 didn't even feel like it was shorter than the stock shifter. i got a real pro 5.0 handle and it was a 100% improvement. i don't recommend that handle because of how long it is.

My94GT

Established Member
i had one atop of my tri ax and loved it. its just laying around now ill gladly sell it to you if youd like, i switched to an mgw shifter. just pm me if you want any info on it

aloo1

Established Member
do you have any pics of it when it was on your car? did it look kinda like what the roush shifter/boot looks like?
thank,
alan

90FoX

Established Member
Thanks for the replies, but has anyone been able to use the stock boot with this stick?:shrug:

I was hoping that the bend in the stick helps prevent increased shifter throw. This isn't true?

Last edited:

SVT CAMR

Established Member
To each his own. you either love it or hate it. That shifter handle is the best thing I have ever had. I believe it is called the hurst comp stick 87-93. with the shifter there are 2 grommets that fit inside that will allow you to use the stock or aftermarket bolts to bolt it up. You will also want the classic ball. I went with the white one. I use mine with the stock boot and you do not even see the chrome of the shifter handle maybe like 1". It's a good fit. I can now shift my 5 speed tremec like as if it was an automatic. Note: for the haters. How short do you want the throws to be? the limiting factor will be clutch pedal travel not the short throw. Yes the throw with this particular hurst handle will be a lil longer. The best part about the long handle is the leverage you get from it. That where the stop bolts come into play on the short throw shifter. Before I bought this shifter handle ($80) I was not that great at shifting because of the notchy characteristics of the Tremec TKO. (2nd gear mostly) The results after it was installed and getting use to it were priceless to me and made me a better driver. With the shorter handles yes the throws are shorter but there is no leverage and I felt like I was always reaching for the shifter handle (leaning forward). Thanks blownsnk for turing me on to this handle 8 years ago!
here are your pics.
img019.jpg

P1010019.jpg

SVT CAMR

Established Member
The handle you have in your pic is different from the one I have now that I see the pics. The one I have is called Hurst Comp Stick (87-93) It was $80.
At a first glance I thought they were the same. but they are not
If you need a part # I can dig it up for you. as you see there is a slight turn towards the top of mine along with a bend down low which is not as drastic as the pic you posted. I actually do not like the handle you posted. It seems way too long and lacks that last turn on top. Good luck with what ever you do.:rockon:

Last edited:

PSUCOBRA96

Established Member
I agree i don't like leaning to get to my shifter, thats the problem if your taller than 5'10 in a mustang, you have to sit so far back with your legs its makes shifting annoying at times.

90FoX

Established Member
The handle you have in your pic is different from the one I have now that I see the pics. The one I have is called Hurst Comp Stick (87-93) It was $80.
At a first glance I thought they were the same. but they are not
If you need a part # I can dig it up for you. as you see there is a slight turn towards the top of mine along with a bend down low which is not as drastic as the pic you posted. I actually do not like the handle you posted. It seems way too long and lacks that last turn on top. Good luck with what ever you do.:rockon:

Hey thanks for the pics. I do, however, want the chrome and hurst name to show. I will likely pull that rubber piece off of the stock boot and slide the boot further down.

It's funny you bring up leaning for the shifter, because this is the reason I was looking into a longer shift stick. I want to sit relaxed in my seat and shift gears. The stick I posted above is the one I liked best out of all of the different options for shift sticks. It's about 10" high and comes back 5.5" from the point where it attaches to the shifter. I'm quite sure this will bring it much closer to me.

Is there any benefit to having that last bend your describing the shift stick I posted doesn't have? Seems more preference to me. :shrug:

I'm going to mock up some ghetto cardboard template just to see if it's too close or not before I pull the trigger on it.

Thanks everyone for the input. :beer:

Last edited:

90FoX

Established Member
I have a similar Hurst stick on my stock shifter in my Mach 1. I used an old school boot from Orielieys.($10) I love the way it looks, and works fine.

mach 1 pictures by jkrall_bucket - Photobucket

Jeff

hey do you have a web page for your car? I think I seen a web page dedicated to your mach 1. I seen it when I was searching for hurst shifters. Looks sweet. I like that old school look. :rockon:

But I'm trying to keep my stock shifter boot. I'll try to get pics once I get my parts.

brucesvt

Established Member
i was about to order the hurst shifter setup last year after i saw a member on here with it but didnt(sold the car). But here are the order numbers for the parts Good luck
Hurst shifter order #s
#1144580 (boot)
#5388550 (stick)
#1630108 (black ball)

Mach2 Love your set up nice job

SVT CAMR

Established Member
Is there any benefit to having that last bend your describing the shift stick I posted doesn't have? Seems more preference to me. :shrug:

Not really. But in this shifters case it does not come back as far as yours so it's good that it has that bend. The one I have is a little more straight up than the one in your pic.

I'm not sure how it would work out rowing gears with the style you have chosen in your pic. Meaning yours has a drastic curve. I wonder how it would balance out leverage wise. I also wonder if yours may be too tall> resting your elbow on the arm rest if the ball attached to the handle would be be up to high? Just something to think about.
EDIT: after looking at your shifter it doesn't seem it would be to high because that big curve will bring it down. It's just the way the pic is taken it looks like it's huge.

Last edited:

PSUCOBRA96

Established Member
I have a similar Hurst stick on my stock shifter in my Mach 1. I used an old school boot from Orielieys.($10) I love the way it looks, and works fine.

mach 1 pictures by jkrall_bucket - Photobucket

Jeff

I really love that look, I have been contemplating it for a while, didn't know you could get a boot at orielieys, was it just out with the regular stock or did you have to special order it?

Mach 2

Established Member
I really love that look, I have been contemplating it for a while, didn't know you could get a boot at orielieys, was it just out with the regular stock or did you have to special order it?

I just removed the old boot, and glued the new one to the trim piece with gorilla glue. The boots are available at ORiellys, and I believe Autozone for about $10.\, I wanted the small one, they also sell the Hurst boot, but I thought it was too big. I have had it on for 4 years, and had to replace the first one as it tore after 3 years. It is easy to install both times.
Jeff

Users who are viewing this thread