Anyone use the new Craftsman ratcheting wrenches for header install?

lemosley01

Right Wing Conspirator
Established Member
I have not, but these wrenches are on my 'to buy' list. They have a number of useful applications, even if headers aren't one of them.

coolguy10786

Established Member
lasercobra said:
Seems like it would answer a lot of the clearance issues when installing LT's. I'm always looking for a way to not drop the K-member or lift the motor.

Product example:
http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?BV_UseBVCookie=Yes&vertical=TOOL&pid=00944006000

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/prod...vertical=TOOL&pid=00942160000&subcat=Wrenches
I bought some for my header install (got them for christmas) and they didn't make the job easier at all. The racheting ends are to big and won't fit around the bolts because they will hit the header pipes. At least thats how it was on my bassani's. Regular wrenches work best with the occasional room for a rachet wrench, but i was only able to use those once or twice, not worth the money.

lasercobra

No SVT
Established Member
coolguy10786 said:
I bought some for my header install (got them for christmas) and they didn't make the job easier at all. The racheting ends are to big and won't fit around the bolts because they will hit the header pipes. At least thats how it was on my bassani's. Regular wrenches work best with the occasional room for a rachet wrench, but i was only able to use those once or twice, not worth the money.

So if the head was thinner, you think they would have been more useful?

coolguy10786

Established Member
lasercobra said:
So if the head was thinner, you think they would have been more useful?
Possibly, but the fact that their longer doesn't help just b/c with that kmember in their, the short regular wrenches worked best. Yes it took a long time, but i think the only used the ratchet wrenches on one or two bolts and then i only used the non ratchet end.

Dingleweed

Grower of dingleberries
Established Member
I have a set of similar ratcheting wrenches. They are incredibly useful for many tight applications other than headers.

IZZY

Established Member
Not for the purposes of installing long tubes, but they sure come in handy for other applications. I purchased a set about a year ago.

bouncer18

Established Member
I did a set on a friends cobra...

i took a ratchet wrench, cut it short and it worked like a charm..
cramped up a few times but it was better then doing it "by the book"

Users who are viewing this thread