Anyone use the Diablosport MAF.ia?

lasercobra

No SVT
Established Member
Your power output?
Reason for getting it verses a calibrated MAF and a tune?
Did you still get a tune anyway?
What MAF are you running?
What is your Diablo set to?
Do you think it's worth it?

jdk

No fun til someone dies
Established Member
All it does is increase the range your stock MAF can meter. If you're not pegging it, you don't need one. You do need a retune to run one.

I believe some of the SCT MAF's are drop in, no tune needed.

isdnmatt

Established Member
Just go with a new SCT MAF. I'm using a BA2800. The MAFia and MAF Extender are bandaids for the pegging problem and effect your low end resolution. The MAFs also suffer from some low end degradation, but to much less of a degree.

lasercobra

No SVT
Established Member
isdnmatt said:
Just go with a new SCT MAF. I'm using a BA2800. The MAFia and MAF Extender are bandaids for the pegging problem and effect your low end resolution. The MAFs also suffer from some low end degradation, but to much less of a degree.

Thanks! I'll check them out. Agree about the bandaid...

Those numbers in your sig, pre-rebuild?

Is this a scheduled rebuild or the result of your motor giving up?

isdnmatt

Established Member
The numbers in my sig. are pre-build. My longblock is currently at VT getting a billet upgrade and cp pistons, bored .20 over, crower stage 3 cams, SS oversized valves, titanium retainers and all the other usual goodies. I'm going with 9.2:1 compression (i think that's what it works out to be with the dished CPs)

This is a PLANNED rebuild. I will be reusing my aluminum block and thought that it's better to do the motor when I CAN rather then when I HAVE to. Although, I did get a scare that the motor was done when it blew a freeze plug out the bottom of the intake.

Shooting for 630rwhp with the Novi 1000 and 800rwhp when I get the funds for a TT kit. May put a 30 shot on there for the low end and for kicks since the motor can pretty much handle whatever I throw at it and the kit is still in the car from before the blower install.

lasercobra

No SVT
Established Member
Geez. Must be nice. I'm a long way from a time when I can do that. Everyone always asks and now I'm gonna. Only because I would want something very similar to your build up (lower compression though)-- so, what did all the work and parts cost you?

Can't wait to see the new thread you'll start when it's all done. ;-)

isdnmatt

Established Member
I got a pretty good deal and had some connects make a few calls. I'd rather talk about it through PM. Hit me up and we'll talk about the options.

I was gonna go with slightly lower compression 9:1, but I like the higher compression/low boost combo better. Plus, with the centri. blower, you will have NO bottom end power and it will be a dog until it makes some boost. If you go 8.5:1 with the Procharger, you will regret it.

CHINI

Do Work
Established Member
lasercobra said:
Your power output?
Reason for getting it verses a calibrated MAF and a tune?
Did you still get a tune anyway?
What MAF are you running?
What is your Diablo set to?
Do you think it's worth it?
i have one... Yes you still need a tune. I am pretty sure it tricks the computer so that it can let more air in. Mine is set on 2.

isdnmatt

Established Member
C H I N I said:
i have one... Yes you still need a tune. I am pretty sure it tricks the computer so that it can let more air in. Mine is set on 2.

There's a technical explanation if I ever heard one........ maybe I can trick my computer into making some coffee and donuts.....

jdk

No fun til someone dies
Established Member
You can do anything if you try, all you have to do is believe in yourself.

isdnmatt

Established Member
Well, for future reference, so you can post more useful information. The Maf.ia and the MAF extender work by rescaling the resistance that the MAF provides. The MAF outputs a voltage up to 5 Volts and when someone says their meter is pegging that means that the MAF is reaching 5 Volts of output.

So lets assume that 0 volts is no air flow. What the Mafia does is make the MAF report 0 Volts (this is a quick approximation as the actual numbers could be different from vehicle to vehicle) when there is actually air flowing and scales up. So you lose resolution on the airflow that would be less then the referenced 0 volts.

Just in case you didn't know, the MAF is actually just a wire exposed to air. As the airflow increases, it causes the wire to heat up and provides greater resistance in the circuit. Calibration refers to range in which this wire will fluctuate.

I hope this provides a clear picture as it is New Years and I've been drinking.

engine281

Footloose
Established Member
if your going to buy the mafia extender do yourself a favor and dont buy it from rpm outlet.

I just went through a huge purchase with them and everything was horrible. Absolutly no customer care.

Users who are viewing this thread