Anyone use Felpro or Mr. Gasket for the diff cover?

jforest

Established Member
I've tried searching to see if anyone has used a Felpro or Mr. Gasket for the differential cover on the Cobra IRS. I'm in the process of installing a new differential cover. I have been debating on whether to use just RTV or purchase a gasket. I've seen alot of people use the LubeLocker gasket but haven't seen much on the Felpro or Mr. Gasket. Anyone here use the Felpro or Mr. Gasket?

I think as of right now I was just going to get some gray RTV and let it cure for a day before I reinstall it. If I go this route, do I need to let the RTV set for a set amount of time before installing the cover?

Thanks in advance!

Midnight_Cobra

It's an Atomic Serpent!
Established Member
Last edited:

Tractionless1

Established Member
My lubelocker as well as others leak. Use liquid gasket maker. Other members are having great success with Kawibond. IE Kawisaki engine case sealer.

jforest

Established Member
BTW, I'm installing a Ford Racing differential cover. Figured I'd throw that out there since I didn't specify before.

jforest

Established Member
After looking at some Technical Data Sheets, Permatex Ultra Gray Gasket maker has the highest tensile strength from the information I could find. It has higher ratings than the Loctite equivalent. I will do a small write-up on how it goes and update it down the road to show my results. Thanks for your inputs.

Permatex:

http://www.permatex.com/products-2/...-high-torque-rtv-silicone-gasket-maker-detail

Loctite:

https://tds.us.henkel.com/NA/UT/HNAUTTDS.nsf/web/D9CD798E7C040EA5882571870000D84E/$File/5999-EN.pdf

I'd still like to hear if anyone has use the Felpro or Mr. Gasket.

Midnight_Cobra

It's an Atomic Serpent!
Established Member
BTW, I'm installing a Ford Racing differential cover. Figured I'd throw that out there since I didn't specify before.

I have the FRPP diff, I don't have any leaks with the lubelocker. Proper prep work of cleaning the pumpkin surface and proper tq sequence. It won't leak.

speedoflife

Established Member
Permatex ultra gray with the FRPP cover here. No leaks after 4000 miles of.... spirited.... driving.

Tractionless1

Established Member
Do you have the stock diff cover?

I have the FRPP diff, I don't have any leaks with the lubelocker. Proper prep work of cleaning the pumpkin surface and proper tq sequence. It won't leak.

New LPW cover and fresh housing back from the builder (desert dry). Installed per directions on Lubelocker packaging. Plenty of users with the same problem. The gray liquid gasket above is the way to go IMO.

Jefe

Established Member
Good to hear. I have the differential back in place, just need to bolt everything back up and put fluid in it.
Ultra grey on my FRPP cover as well. No leaks.

Make sure you put some tape on the drain plug before you fill it! Also mine took less fluid than what the stock diff called for. I put exactly what it asked for in and when I went to check the level back in the car it poured out

Tractionless1

Established Member
Ultra grey on my FRPP cover as well. No leaks.

Make sure you put some tape on the drain plug before you fill it! Also mine took less fluid than what the stock diff called for. I put exactly what it asked for in and when I went to check the level back in the car it poured out

Interesting, LPW holds more than OE.

Jefe

Established Member
Im sorry, Ive got the LPW as well not the FRPP. It took less than what OEM piece called for. I have checked the level several times too. What is it 1.9qts? Going off memory

cj428mach

Established Member
Ultra Grey and FRPP cover. I waited about half a day before filling it. I was going to wait 24 hours but got so tied up in the reassembly process I kind of forgot. I still let it sit for a total of 24hours before driving the car though.

Users who are viewing this thread