Anyone upgrade to Vista?

SteveChris

Established Member
I was just looking into downloading the home premium upgrade. i always use the update assistants to check if i'll have any problems, well the upgrade assistant crashes each time i run it, i guess thats a bad sign
anyone upgrade, have any problems?
i really want it just for the 3d stacked navigation for the windows, thats crazy

SteveChris

Established Member
tried it, never caught on with me. simply trying to setup a wireless network or dual screens on linux gave me a headache, turned me off.
it's not that i cant do it, i'm very good with computers, i'm a programmer..work on unix systems, but i have NO patience once i get home to do that crap.

NyteByte

Pro-Freedom
Established Member
I've upgraded all my computers to Vista.

No problems so far except for a few driver issues with my sound card which should be resolved once Creative comes out with Vista drivers.

I like Vista so far. The new Aero interface is a nice change from XP.

SickBlackMach

Throttling back
Established Member
I'm still on the fence... I read that if you want to buy the upgrade version, that it requires you to install xp then vista. I'm sure I'll end up breaking down and buying the full version in the future, but I'm in no rush.

Evil_SVT

Established Member
I have had vista and office 2k7 on disk for the last 3 months but I am to lazy too install it... :(

SteveChris

Established Member

Ecarlcl

Established Member
I celebrated the vista release by wiping my windows partition in favor of gentoo, linux FTW

txyaloo

Established Member
SickBlackMach said:
I'm still on the fence... I read that if you want to buy the upgrade version, that it requires you to install xp then vista. I'm sure I'll end up breaking down and buying the full version in the future, but I'm in no rush.

This is true. You can get around it by installing a "trial" version of Vista with no product key and then "upgrading" it, but I don't think it's worth it. Also, when you upgrade from XP, Vita's EULA says your XP product keys are no longer valid. I've seen som speculation that Microsoft will deny activation on Vista upgraded XP keys if you decide to install XP again.

I've been running Vista for several months. As soon as I get a chance to back up my data, I'm ditching it for XP again.

NyteByte

Pro-Freedom
Established Member
If you buy the upgrade version, you need to have XP installed already. Here's a quote from an article that describes it:
Upgrading to Vista? Don't delete XP

The latest concern is the requirement that users installing an upgrade version of Microsoft's new operating system have an older version of Windows working on their computer. Earlier Windows upgrades simply required users to have an old installation disk on hand as a proof of ownership.

Microsoft says it made the change because Vista, which goes on sale first thing Tuesday, does not check upgrade compliance. But the new requirement has irked many users who prefer "clean installs"--formatting the hard drive before installing the upgrade.

Even though that's a pain in the ass, Vista itself will still install clean. At least in the respect that it renames your old Windows directory and installs itself in a clean directory. Settings are just imported into it from your old install.

wvmystichrome

Established Member
txyaloo said:
This is true. You can get around it by installing a "trial" version of Vista with no product key and then "upgrading" it, but I don't think it's worth it. Also, when you upgrade from XP, Vita's EULA says your XP product keys are no longer valid. I've seen som speculation that Microsoft will deny activation on Vista upgraded XP keys if you decide to install XP again.

I've been running Vista for several months. As soon as I get a chance to back up my data, I'm ditching it for XP again.

Just be careful not to put Vista down even with supporting docs. There are a couple of people on here that are either employed by Microsoft or something. I am staying away from it. From industry reports I have read 90% of all computers out there can not support it and I also have heard the issues of drivers and such. It looks neat but I don't see that as a selling point to get someone to throw away XP. Can you say planned obsolescence.

merfsiu

Established Member
I installed a beta version on pc i built myself. I was very surprised that all of my hardware worked off the bat. Didnt have to load any drivers at all.

SteveChris

Established Member
ok...i downloaded vista (you can buy and download from circuit city/windows marketplace)
it DESTROYED my pc.
now before you come to any conclusions i am not a moron when it comes to computers. i am a programmer, i've dealt witht hem m whole life.
the install was fine, then when it was almost complete it just shut the computer off. when it restarts it tries to continue but fails agai and restarts over and over. ok fine, the vista upgrade has a rollback. i had xp media edition so as far as what msoft has said i was supposed to be able to upgrade, and not the clean install upgrade, just upgrade.
so i try to rollback, fails.
ok, safe mode? FAILS!
ok last resort my install cd, recovery console always helps.
FAILS!!!
GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
i'm out of options and dont want to lose my stuff so i went to staples today at lunch and bought a 200gb sata drive. im installing xp back onto that drive, hopefully itll all work and i can get my files back. my regular hd is a 320gb drive so i rather use that for my mian drive but i cant copy a 320gb partiton to the 200gb one. the hd utility cant help me here.
im still gonna try vista as long as i have a backup.
but damn vista has been crashing computers left and right

busta

REDRCKT
Established Member
I've been running Windows Vista Ultimate for about a week now and I actually like it a lot. Big improvement of Windows XP. I felt it was time for a change and it actually makes my day-to-day computing a lot more interesting.

svtcontour

Established Member
Just got ultimate 64bit version today. All seems ok but my addon soundcard (M-audio) has no vista drivers and my onboard SATA raid has non yet but doesnt matter since I dont use the onboard raid.

I just cant get over how much space it takes up. I need to get a larger boot drive.

dbmach12004

SuperStar
Established Member
Just picked up a new HP computer yesterday which has Vista on it. I was really looking for a comuter without it but I'm pretty happy with what I have seen so far.

Users who are viewing this thread