Anyone Unemployed in 2015

CobraCarrera

Established Member
Been out of work since mid August 2014. Had my resume reviewed by a few including some H/R higher up's and all say my experience and my resume are perfect. Went to a few job agencies as well with not so great results. Jerking around and not taking things seriously. I know the end of year is always hard to find work but I really hope 2015 improves the way they say it will.

I did get 4 interviews in that meantime but were not long term or I was let go at the end of the job so back to unemployment I went. I thought having a business management degree and 20+ years of experience would have somehow eliminated this. Plus being in my mid 40's doesnt help I guess.

2015 must be better.... Actually thinking of getting my CDL with a grant hopefully as a back up. Afew friends are doing well in that field.

Mach1USMC

SVT Powered
Established Member
I will be in a few months.... hopefully my business takes off when I get out and back to the states.

I can always be a contractor doing essentially what I'm doing now as a Marine and make bank but I don't want to go there unless I have to.

MFE

Established Member
It can be demoralizing, but keep your head up, and attack each opportunity with no regard for those that have come before it.

tkeinia

Established Member
hang in there, im in my 40s also, went to college late in life. i grad in 2010 and took me 4 years to get into adult probation. even then i had to take a job in the intake department and apply from the inside to become a probation officer and that took 8 months.

R.D.P.

Extra Sprinkles
Established Member
I feel for you man, keep your chin up. Don't be afraid of taking something lower, then go back to looking after a few months. Companies are always more likely to hire someone that currently has a job over someone that doesn't and x2 if your over 40. You can then just tell the HR people that the job you've only been at a few months is now wanting you to travel when they originally told you travel wouldn't be involved - or something similar. Just don't complain about the company or job you've only been at a short time - blame the fact that your looking again after only a few months on some circumstance beyond your control - like the travel excuse and the hiring manager and HR manager at the new company will likely look past it.

Last edited:

FIVEHOE

Established Member
Been out of work since mid August 2014. Had my resume reviewed by a few including some H/R higher up's and all say my experience and my resume are perfect. Went to a few job agencies as well with not so great results. Jerking around and not taking things seriously. I know the end of year is always hard to find work but I really hope 2015 improves the way they say it will.

I did get 4 interviews in that meantime but were not long term or I was let go at the end of the job so back to unemployment I went. I thought having a business management degree and 20+ years of experience would have somehow eliminated this. Plus being in my mid 40's doesnt help I guess.

2015 must be better.... Actually thinking of getting my CDL with a grant hopefully as a back up. Afew friends are doing well in that field.

yeah I've been real tired of my current job and have been looking for another and I've pretty much had the same results as you. Said my experience and history was perfect but ended up going with someone else. One company said they felt I was over qualified for their position....

you certainly aren't the only one struggling to find something, hang in there buddy

CobraCarrera

Established Member
I will be in a few months.... hopefully my business takes off when I get out and back to the states.

I can always be a contractor doing essentially what I'm doing now as a Marine and make bank but I don't want to go there unless I have to.

I think we will be ok. It is always good to have a backup job and as much experience as a person can have. I have always had 2 jobs most of my life as I do commercial cleaning at night.

It can be demoralizing, but keep your head up, and attack each opportunity with no regard for those that have come before it.

Well said. That is exactly what I am going to do. Just sometimes you feel like your back is against the wall.

hang in there, im in my 40s also, went to college late in life. i grad in 2010 and took me 4 years to get into adult probation. even then i had to take a job in the intake department and apply from the inside to become a probation officer and that took 8 months.

Will do that. Sounds like your plan and direction worked out for you. That's great. I am trying the same thing but I just need it to continue through the process and work and not crumble half way through the process. It doesn't help these agencies are very laxed (lazy) and that it was the end of the year and no one really was hiring.

Hang in there.

Will do. Thank You. I just need to keep up the pace.

Wait.... So not buying a hellcat?

Never wanted to buy one LoL. I am happy with my upper only 04. I am done buying cars for a while. The Hellcat is a very nice machine though.

CobraCarrera

Established Member
I feel for you man, keep your chin up. Don't be afraid of taking something lower, then go back to looking after a few months. Companies are always more likely to hire someone that currently has a job over someone that doesn't and x2 if your over 40. You can then just tell the HR people that the job you've only been at a few months is now wanting you to travel when they originally told you travel wouldn't be involved - or something similar. Just don't complain about the company or job you've only been at a short time - blame the fact that your looking again after only a few months on some circumstance beyond your control - like the travel excuse and the hiring manager and HR manager at the new company will likely look past it.

I have done that as well. It is smart thinking though. I am just not liking what I am seeing for the future. A person should not have to manipulate and be somewhat of an ass to get and or maintain decent job. So far I am searching on my own as well as using 3 agencies and they are all taking their time in helping. This is why I am contemplating on getting another back up plan. A CDL "class A" will always be helpful. A few buddies do this. One is OTR and the other does local dedicated runs.

yeah I've been real tired of my current job and have been looking for another and I've pretty much had the same results as you. Said my experience and history was perfect but ended up going with someone else. One company said they felt I was over qualified for their position....

you certainly aren't the only one struggling to find something, hang in there buddy

Thanks. That is what happened exactly at my last job. They brought me on, were happy with my work history and resume, I got the job completed on time and did more work than required in my scope of work (SOW) to keep them happy and to hopefully impress them. Then they informed my the day after Christmas that my services were no longer needed as the job is complete and that my position will be given back to the agency and that they will replace me with someone P/T with a smaller salary base. Ain't that a hoot. All this considering the agency told me that this was to be a full time permanent position after 90 days.

Ramairgt1

Whipped
Established Member
If you had an engineering degree with 10+ years experience I'd have you in for an interview today. We cannot find good, experienced engineers anywhere in the area.
Good luck with your job quest.

CobraCarrera

Established Member
If you had an engineering degree with 10+ years experience I'd have you in for an interview today. We cannot find good, experienced engineers anywhere in the area.
Good luck with your job quest.

Thank you. I wish Georgia/Atlanta was a little faster on the upswing with work though. Shame Coke is letting go 1900+ people with 500 being in Atlanta. So much for Mercedes bringing in 1000 jobs in the future.

I wish I was my brother then as he is/was an electrical engineer/draftsman at Johnson & Johnson for 35+ years but now is out of work as well but up north (central New Jersey). He has his age and no degree (just military history) which is not enough in todays society and he just turned 60. He is working full time but not in the engineering field anymore.

Last edited:

Zemedici

Established Member
i'd go for the CDL job bud, lots of potential success with that training, in many different avenues.

CobraCarrera

Established Member
i'd go for the CDL job bud, lots of potential success with that training, in many different avenues.

You are right. I am going to contact Daley's on Peachtree unless you know any place better perhaps. I am giving myself until April to find something and after that I am all in. I see you are near me in Dallas. Aren't you friends with Josh Chastain and the guys at Moe's. I swear I saw your Cobra (black 03/04) on Dallas Hwy a few times near Lowes and Barrett. I am off Acworth Due West near Hadaway and Paul Samuel.

Last edited:

Zemedici

Established Member
You are right. I am going to contact Daley's on Peachtree unless you know any place better perhaps. I am giving myself until April to find something and after that I am all in. I see you are near me in Dallas. Aren't you friends with Josh Chastain and the guys at Moe's. I swear I saw your Cobra (black 03/04) on Dallas Hwy a few times near Lowes and Barrett. I am off Acworth Due West near Hadaway and Paul Samuel.

Yeah I know all the guys up at Moes as well as the guys at Injected, and I'm ALWAYS off barrett parkway so i'm sure it was me you saw. What are you driving now? Let me call my dad and ask, he works at a building supply yard and I believe he needs CDL drivers. I'll see what he says. one sec.

CobraCarrera

Established Member
Yeah I know all the guys up at Moes as well as the guys at Injected, and I'm ALWAYS off barrett parkway so i'm sure it was me you saw. What are you driving now? Let me call my dad and ask, he works at a building supply yard and I believe he needs CDL drivers. I'll see what he says. one sec.

I still drive my silver 04 (30,000 miles) one or two times a month but my daily is my old 2006 330I. I was the one who got Josh's BBS RK's after he sold his Mustang to get the C6 which he recently sold for a C5Z. Injected and Moe's has a great bunch of guys. Funny you mention I just applied to 84 Lumber in Cartersville for an operations sales position with delivery.

Zemedici

Established Member
I still drive my silver 04 (30,000 miles) one or two times a month but my daily is my old 2006 330I. I was the one who got Josh's BBS RK's after he sold his Mustang to get the C6 which he recently sold for a C5Z. Injected and Moe's has a great bunch of guys. Funny you mention I just applied to 84 Lumber in Cartersville for an operations sales position with delivery.

oh wow small world.

Alright just got off the phone with my dad, the CDL test is a 2 part test. The first is a written test, you can take at any DMV. The second is more difficult, its the driving portion. There's a place in Jackson that does the driving test, but you have to have your own truck.

However, you can also go to a truck driving school, where you pay, and leave with both parts completed.

Apply at my dad's spot, Probuild.

CobraCarrera

Established Member
oh wow small world.

Alright just got off the phone with my dad, the CDL test is a 2 part test. The first is a written test, you can take at any DMV. The second is more difficult, its the driving portion. There's a place in Jackson that does the driving test, but you have to have your own truck.

However, you can also go to a truck driving school, where you pay, and leave with both parts completed.

Apply at my dad's spot, Probuild.

That's what I found out as well. I need to go to the school. I am looking into grants that unemployment makes available. Never know. It may work to my advantage. It can help pay to get my CDL.

I will apply at your dads place as well. Much appreciated. This is why SVTP is great. You never know.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread